Summer 2019 S&C | Syracusefan.com

Summer 2019 S&C

Good sign in the photo from 29May19 where the players are in the push up/ plank position. Young Mr. Abdul Adams appears to be a full participant. Go Orange!!
That is not plank. it is chaturanga.

Guy to the left with the orange shoes next to the light blue pad needs core work...you can tell because his back is concave and his midsection is sagging towards the floor.

His elbows are also flayed too far away from his body. They should be tight to his side. Legs should be ramrod straight and not bent. Body should be in one line from top of heels to crown of head.

Not an easy pose to hold. Not as hard as plank or forearm plank but not easy either...

Guy to the left with the orange shoes next to the light blue pad needs core work...you can tell because his back is concave and his midsection is sagging towards the floor.

His elbows are also flayed too far away from his body. They should be tight to his side. Legs should be ramrod straight and not bent. Body should be in one line from top of heels to crown of head.

Not an easy pose to hold. Not as hard as plank or forearm plank but not easy either...

My guess is that you practice Yoga.

Looks like there are a few guys like that. Sometimes it's an awareness issue more than a strength issue. Using muscles for stability is harder than using them for mobility for a lot od people, including athletes.

Looks like there are a few guys like that. Sometimes it's an awareness issue more than a strength issue. Using muscles for stability is harder than using them for mobility for a lot of people, including athletes.
No question about it. Holding a yoga pose sequence where the lower body does not move (like going from warrior 2 to reverse warrior to side angle and repeating that sequence with 5 breathes in each pose ) is one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do, especially in a room heated to 95-100 degrees...your quads are screaming; your calves are screaming; your stabilizer muscles are screaming..

It is also form...if he were to bring his elbows in tight to his body, rather than having them flayed it would actually make the position easier on his abs and lower back as the locking the elbows in reduces the strain on the abs (and when the abs go, it is the lower back that picks up the slack)...

I've been doing it for a decade and I still cannot hold balance poses and sequences for any length of time. My stabilizer muscles simply aren't strong enough...not sure they ever will be...

When I do a 75 minute hot yoga vinyasa class with one of my tougher teachers, I am just as exhausted when I finish as I am when I do a four mile interval session in 95 degree heat with 70% humidity in the middle of August...

Hot yoga...religiously...only thing that offsets the tightness caused by intervals, weight training, MMA, boxing, jiu-jitsu, sitting at a desk all day etc.

I live in SWFL so it's always hot yoga. I've only been practicing religiously since last October. You are 100% correct about it offsetting tightness from other forms of training. I think adding yoga even allows me to train harder and avoid injury in my old age.
I'm really impressed with the s&c program under Dino. Other than the ND game, we held our own s&c wise with every team we played for the first time in a long time.

I live in SWFL so it's always hot yoga. I've only been practicing religiously since last October. You are 100% correct about it offsetting tightness from other forms of training. I think adding yoga even allows me to train harder and avoid injury in my old age.
I'm really impressed with the s&c program under Dino. Other than the ND game, we held our own s&c wise with every team we played for the first time in a long time.
Yes, the weather in SW FL is something else. The humidity is like soup. Just saps your muscles. I've done runs at 8 AM on the beach and, by 9 AM, I am toast. We've Spring breaked at both Marco Island and Naples. Love it down there and, because it is mostly a midwest crowd, much more laid back than the east coast.

No doubt that yoga does allow you train harder because it significantly increases muscle elasticity, which reduces the chances of injury. it also increases strength in key areas like the core and lower back.

What kind of yoga do you practice?

Clemson. Their O and D lines manhandled us in 2nd half of last year's game.

Notice the difference in form between the 1st and 2nd guy...1st guy comes straight up...2nd guy leans forward before coming up...using more of his back...to me, that says weight is too much...be interested to hear what S&C guy would say about that...
It's hard to tell, but to me, it just looks like the 2nd guy is sitting down on the box more.

Yes, the weather in SW FL is something else. The humidity is like soup. Just saps your muscles. I've done runs at 8 AM on the beach and, by 9 AM, I am toast. We've Spring breaked at both Marco Island and Naples. Love it down there and, because it is mostly a midwest crowd, much more laid back than the east coast.

No doubt that yoga does allow you train harder because it significantly increases muscle elasticity, which reduces the chances of injury. it also increases strength in key areas like the core and lower back.

What kind of yoga do you practice?

Clemson. Their O and D lines manhandled us in 2nd half of last year's game.

I practice Vinyasa now. I'm still a novice but I can really feel the benefits at the gym and no more sore shoulder or knee.

I haven't run any organized races in a couple of years but if you like to run when you're down this way, Key West has a nice and small half at the end of January and there's Bill's Beer Run on Casey Key near Venice.

You're right, Clemson did push us around a bit in the second half. However it was not like in the past few years when our players were injured because they couldn't stand up to the beating they took from stronger teams.

Who is that second dude? Isn't that Tre Allison? If so he is listed at 233 lbs on the roster. Trill Looks to be at least his weight and Cam Jordan is getting pretty darn big himself.

I practice Vinyasa now. I'm still a novice but I can really feel the benefits at the gym and no more sore shoulder or knee.

I haven't run any organized races in a couple of years but if you like to run when you're down this way, Key West has a nice and small half at the end of January and there's Bill's Beer Run on Casey Key near Venice.

You're right, Clemson did push us around a bit in the second half. However it was not like in the past few years when our players were injured because they couldn't stand up to the beating they took from stronger teams.
Me too. Hot Vinyasa. I don't like Bikram.

I'm not a race guy. I just like to train.

Who is that second dude? Isn't that Tre Allison? If so he is listed at 233 lbs on the roster. Trill Looks to be at least his weight and Cam Jordan is getting pretty darn big himself.
Pierre

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom