Summer of Soul | Syracusefan.com

Summer of Soul

Fireball Jr.

All American
I went to a theater today for the first time in almost two years to see Questlove’s project Summer of Soul. Only criticism: the movie ended too soon.

Great music, great story about an important moment in American history. I see an Oscar in Questlove’s future.

This reminded me of a recent PBS documentary 'Mr. Soul'...I watched it a couple of months back. Very good and made me think...How did I manage to not know about this PBS show? Haizlip was something.

Mr. SOUL! tells the story of SOUL!, a variety show devoted to the African American experience, and of Ellis Haizlip, the producer whose broad vision helped to define it. On the heels of the Civil Rights Movement, from 1968 to 1973, Haizlip – black, proud, and gay – showcased the music, poetry, ideas, and people that were challenging an all-white establishment and redefining what it meant to be black in America.The film tells the story of the groundbreaking PBS series from its genesis to its eventual loss of funding against the backdrop of a swiftly changing political and social landscape, while profiling the man behind one of the most culturally significant television shows in U.S. history.Mr. SOUL! interweaves the story of the show with the biography of the producer, offering a provocative look at a transformative but too often overlooked time, and of a neglected agent of far-reaching cultural change.

Mr. SOUL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom