Summer Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Summer Thoughts

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
It’s always about this time of year that I start to feel the itch. Camp’s around the corner, pre-season NFL’s creeping up… Hard to explain it, but you can feel it.

It’s my favorite time of the year, always the optimist, there’s endless possibilities.

Here are my thoughts on the ‘21 version of the best gd collegiate football team in NY.

I’ll start with defense bc we’ve been beating the offense to death with a 2x4.

Its hard not to be optimistic about the defense.

Year 2 of the Tony White era. Certainly overachieved during his first season. A full Spring and a season worth of seasoning in his system should pay dividends. I don’t know that it will materialize statistically (bc alot of that is determined by offensive efficiency) but our defense will be formidable and give our offense opportunities. I’m bullish on Tony - home run hire.

We return the majority of the DL, who is experienced. This was a big W for us as a lot of talent in the secondary departed. It is crucial for the front to be effective against the run.

At LB we have talent all over the place. I’m really excited to see the young Buck’s with another year of development flying around and laying sticks. Mikel & Marlow are studs. Stefan Thompson’s not too far off. I like these guys.

The Secondary is going to need to be lead by G and Ja’Had. After that, bow you heads and hope with me. The front 6 or 7 are going to really have to support these guys as they get their sea legs.

ST’s - after Szmytster - a lot of variables. We’ll be fine at returner, but P has me a little scurred… We’ve overperformed here over the years, let’s hope that continues.

Offensively - you guys really wanna cover this again?

I think the line play will be markedly improved. With that being said, we were pretty terrible, so it’s all relative. More depth, health and experience should all be positives. Wrap those rosary beads one more time here.

We will be absolutely fine at RB. Between Tucker (really good), Jarveon and Pena/ThunderousThunder, we’ll be okay.

At WR - I like Queeley’s stability and Taj’s ability. After that, we gonna find out, but I think Courtney Jackson has potential and I’m always excited to see young guys fly around.

The $1M question - who’s slinging it? It’s TD to start with Shredder on the sideline helmet buckled. Short leash and probable committee duty, we’ll see both early. Like most definitely against Ohio.

Honestly, I think Dino’s coaching for his job early. Handle biz in OOC, and get the train rollin’. If not, we ain’t goin’ bowlin’. And then, Wildhack’s gonna be pink slip dolin’.

I do think this squad can get rolling and eligible for a bowl game. But there’s going to have to be monumental improvement from the offense for that to happen.

Here’s to a great season ladies & gents…

Good summary Finwad. I'll add the $1M plus $1 question: is whomever is slinging it being effective regardless of who ends up with the job? Whomever grasps the QB position by the, uh...whatevers...has to do something with it. It's not enough to beat out #2; #1 has to be good.

Good summary Finwad. I'll add the $1M plus $1 question: is whomever is slinging it being effective regardless of who ends up with the job? Whomever grasps the QB position by the, uh...whatevers...has to do something with it. It's not enough to beat out #2; #1 has to be good.
You hit it on the head… The “guy” has to grab the job and make it so you can’t take it away. They’re different players with different strengths.

In college, I’m a bigger fan of “creators”… more prone to bonehead mistakes, but exciting with big play potential. If you get one who’s efficient too, well now we’re cooking with gas.

Don’t we have Coley coming back at safety? Isn’t that 3 starters returning in the d backfield?
We do, starter out of camp last year but I believe he went down in Game 1 for the year. If he’s healthy, that’s a plus.

In college, I’m a bigger fan of “creators”… more prone to bonehead mistakes, but exciting with big play potential. If you get one who’s efficient too, well now we’re cooking with gas.

I am a bigger fan of those guys as well. Our greatest QB’s at SU were all “creators” and despite many of them being labeled “running QB’s” they also hold a disproportionate share of our passing records.

I think there’s reason for optimism within the system on offense. We’ve not had a good running game under Dino outside of Eric’s. The system needed tweaking as it had gotten stale - new OC with familiarity of the framework - but no spring ball and god awful OL play made it all seem like more of 2019.

If the OL and RB can be better and the OC has the room to play - we might see the jump needed.

I'm going to be optimistic regardless. I personally think if Shrader is better in practice he should get the shot to change things up, but if TD is better I am fine with him there again. Just make it a legit open competition where the better player gets the start is all I ask

I love how many young guys got a ton of time last year, looked promising and are still Freshman eligibility wise. It makes me feel like we could be really, really good in a couple years if the majority of those that got thrown into the fire continue to develop. Goes without saying that teams are generally only as good as their QB, so really need one of the non-TD QBs to become a quality starter.

It’s always about this time of year that I start to feel the itch. Camp’s around the corner, pre-season NFL’s creeping up… Hard to explain it, but you can feel it.

It’s my favorite time of the year, always the optimist, there’s endless possibilities.

Here are my thoughts on the ‘21 version of the best gd collegiate football team in NY.

Year 2 of the Tony White era. Certainly overachieved during his first season. A full Spring and a season worth of seasoning in his system should pay dividends. I don’t know that it will materialize statistically (bc alot of that is determined by offensive efficiency) but our defense will be formidable and give our offense opportunities. I’m bullish on Tony - home run hire.

We return the majority of the DL, who is experienced. This was a big W for us as a lot of talent in the secondary departed. It is crucial for the front to be effective against the run.

At LB we have talent all over the place. I’m really excited to see the young Buck’s with another year of development flying around and laying sticks. Mikel & Marlow are studs. Stefan Thompson’s not too far off. I like these guys.

The Secondary is going to need to be lead by G and Ja’Had. After that, bow you heads and hope with me. The front 6 or 7 are going to really have to support these guys as they get their sea legs.

ST’s - after Szmytster - a lot of variables. We’ll be fine at returner, but P has me a little scurred… We’ve overperformed here over the years, let’s hope that continues.

I think the line play will be markedly improved. With that being said, we were pretty terrible, so it’s all relative. More depth, health and experience should all be positives. Wrap those rosary beads one more time here.

We will be absolutely fine at RB. Between Tucker (really good), Jarveon and Pena/ThunderousThunder, we’ll be okay.

At WR - I like Queeley’s stability and Taj’s ability. After that, we gonna find out, but I think Courtney Jackson has potential and I’m always excited to see young guys fly around.

The $1M question - who’s slinging it? It’s TD to start with Shredder on the sideline helmet buckled. Short leash and probable committee duty, we’ll see both early. Like most definitely against Ohio.

Honestly, I think Dino’s coaching for his job early. Handle biz in OOC, and get the train rollin’. If not, we ain’t goin’ bowlin’. And then, Wildhack’s gonna be pink slip dolin’.

I do think this squad can get rolling and eligible for a bowl game. But there’s going to have to be monumental improvement from the offense for that to happen.

These are almost my exact thoughts

Neil Nunn is going to be a factor I think at CB2. Would be biggest lift this defense could get if he comes into camp, reclaims that job, stays healthy and stays out of trouble. Would really solidify the unit as a whole.

Not very excited about this offense. TD’s performance these past two seasons coupled with poor overall recruiting at the QB position has gotten this unit to where it is. I just don’t see TD changing, he is what he is. Great arm but with terrible awareness and inability to handle pressure. I just don’t see it. Would trade him for 2009 Greg Paulus at this point who had zero training at the position for years and still managed to be serviceable.

To end on a positive note, if there is going to be one immediate breakout star of the incoming freshman class, going with Umari Hatcher. His size, speed and quickness should be a combination that most others at his position on this roster currently do not have.

I think we’re going to be much better at running the ball and stopping the run. I need to see how well we pass the ball and stop the pass
I think if we're better running the ball, we'll be better passing the ball. We have really struggled to run the ball, particularly early in the year and in the Red Zone.

Last edited:

Do not sleep on cooper lutz.

Good stuff Fin. Im glad you are excited about the upcoming season. I am too and I agree with your analysis. On top of all that Im just hoping things go our way. We need to get lucky with injuries and the ball needs to bounce our way. We are due for that after what has happen the last two years.

Really going to benefit from Howard being back.

Good read.

I think the team's mindset is going to be another thing in our favor. They will play with a chip on their shoulder all year. And I think they can't wait to prove that last year was a Covid/injury bad luck fluke.

We'll know right away if this is the case.

Neil Nunn is going to be a factor I think at CB2. Would be biggest lift this defense could get if he comes into camp, reclaims that job, stays healthy and stays out of trouble. Would really solidify the unit as a whole.

Not very excited about this offense. TD’s performance these past two seasons coupled with poor overall recruiting at the QB position has gotten this unit to where it is. I just don’t see TD changing, he is what he is. Great arm but with terrible awareness and inability to handle pressure. I just don’t see it. Would trade him for 2009 Greg Paulus at this point who had zero training at the position for years and still managed to be serviceable.

To end on a positive note, if there is going to be one immediate breakout star of the incoming freshman class, going with Umari Hatcher. His size, speed and quickness should be a combination that most others at his position on this roster currently do not have.

I'm hoping for a Senior year Nassib like performance for TD. Paulus could make plays out of the pocket but he was very turnover prone, but as you said he had not played QB for years.

Nailed it, I've been pretty quiet since the end of last season.
The board has rightfully been pretty negative and borderline toxic to read most days.
I've hopefully the D can take another big step to keep us in games and our Oline is the real deal this year.
Love what we have at LB and I think our secondary can be serviceable and not a trainwreck.
Want to see what we have with the Dlineman as we will really need them come the '22 season.
Offense I really hope a full offseason gives Gilbert time to get everyone on the same page.
THROW TO THE DAMN TE.
Will be interesting to see what the RB rotation looks like.
Enough of my rambling...
Hoping we get some lucky breaks and we get back to a bowl game.

I'm hoping for a Senior year Nassib like performance for TD. Paulus could make plays out of the pocket but he was very turnover prone, but as you said he had not played QB for years.

Nassib showed signs as a starter that TD has yet to show. Add in the change in O and you get 2012's passing attack. Where is TD's:

2010 at USF game winning drive?
2010 Pinstripe Bowl performance?
2011 Wake come from behind (down 15 points with 10 mins left) OT victory?
2011 at USC (although mostly garbage time)?
2011 WV?

Since ND beat him up in 2018, TD hasn't had many good performances. What does he have to hang his hat on? WMU and GA Tech? The UNC game when he came off the bench and saved us is seeing more and more like a fluke. And even then he nearly lost the game by throwing a 2nd INT.

Nassib showed signs as a starter that TD has yet to show. Add in the change in O and you get 2012's passing attack. Where is TD's:

2010 at USF game winning drive?
2010 Pinstripe Bowl performance?
2011 Wake come from behind (down 15 points with 10 mins left) OT victory?
2011 at USC (although mostly garbage time)?
2011 WV?

Since ND beat him up in 2018, TD hasn't had many good performances. What does he have to hang his hat on? WMU and GA Tech? The UNC game when he came off the bench and saved us is seeing more and more like a fluke. And even then he nearly lost the game by throwing a 2nd INT.

TD was good enough vs FSU, UNC, WMU, and Louisville IMO. Your right we haven't seen him play great against a top 25 team yet but Dino and staff haven't built the right infrastructure on offense yet.

I was never remotely a Paulus fan and yet I have always thought that he would have done fairly well in Dino’s offense. He didn’t have Devito’s arm strength, and he was definitely more turnover prone, but he was more accurate and he was excellent at the short passing game. He made quick reads, he was decisive, and wasn’t afraid to thread the ball into tight places.

I'm not saying I would trade one for the other but I think Paulus would have been interesting in this offense. His ability to read the D and get the ball out quickly might have offset at least some of the massive porosity of the OL too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom