Sunday morning coffee thoughts…. | Syracusefan.com

Sunday morning coffee thoughts….

Jake

Mod
Give Purdue credit, they beat us up front on both sides of the ball. Could Definitely see them winning their side of the big.

Thought Shrader played marginally. Missed Gadsen on the goal line and a wide open wheel route to Tucker. Needs to be more consistently good rather than occasionally great as someone would say.

I know it was only one play, but that was a frozen rope into a tight window by rewritable CD yesterday. The future looks bright at QB.

I would give my right arm for a TE like #87. Without the character flaw. Hope Vallari can be that guy.

Not sure what to make of our WRs, but Gadsen looks to be emerging as the go to guy. Shrader needs to trust his WRs more and let some throws rip. We have size and should be able to win 50-50 balls.

Our OL did not get any push up front - just no room for #34 to get loose. Need to be better than that.

Quick thought about the officiating- thought they were pretty consistent on the PI calls. They allowed some contact…but not the egregious grabs. Thought we got a favorable call on an uncatchable ball in the first half, but that late PI on Jones was the right call. The bear hug prevented him from potentially getting to that throw.

Their Jones was really good at creating separation with subtle nudges. He was fantastic.

Let’s get through the next 2 weeks healthy and 5-0 and maybe have a special day vs NCState.

The Locked On podcast interviewed the beat writer for Purdues local newspaper and he described the Purdue d line coach as one of the best, if not the best, in the country. Possibly this could be the toughest d line we play all year. They looked well coached and disciplined.

Shrader looked like last year’s version yesterday.

He wasn’t accurate, throwing behind guys, and underthrew a few balls that woulda been big gainers otherwise.
But he was great with his legs, AND like with the VT game he took one in the chops while delivering a strike when it mattered.

Feel terrible for Tucker, the line gave him almost no holes, so he was constantly having to make a guy miss behind the LOS, and that gave their other defenders time to flow towards him to make the stop.

Shame about that duck LeQuint threw on the gadget play -
At a minimum it woulda been a huge gain, and possibly a TD.

The D did just enough and at the right times to get r done.

Shame that the one FG snap was high -
Barron snagged it, but the slight delay caused Andre to miss it.

Can’t remember - in college, is face guarding without contact legal? Jahad Carter wasn’t even looking for the ball in his PBU in the end zone.

There were 2-3 throws that went right off WR’s hands. When that happens over and over, I wonder if that leads GS to wait too long to throw, waiting for a different option. Spit balling completely btw. But WR’s are dripping catchable balls consistently.

I wouldn't be opposed to working CD-RW in to manage a series here and there.

Agreed 144%.

Dude doesn’t look flustered at all, just comes in cold and does what he hasta do.

Even though that play got called back - he was at least a yard past the LOS - it just showed what he’s capable of doing:
Extended the play, avoided taking a sack, ran and kept his eyes up, then threw a laser to the WR.

Here’s hoping we can get up 2-3 scores against UVA, so CDRW can get some run in the 2nd half.
And then play a bunch vs Wagner, before the 3rd string QB comes in for mop up duty.

Can’t remember - in college, is face guarding without contact legal? Jahad Carter wasn’t even looking for the ball in his PBU in the end zone.
And the replay showed that he may have made contact with the WR just before the ball hit him. We may have gotten away with one there. I'm not complaining though. With all the screwjobs we endured last year, I'll take a close one called our way.

Agreed 144%.

Dude doesn’t look flustered at all, just comes in cold and does what he hasta do.

Even though that play got called back - he was at least a yard past the LOS - it just showed what he’s capable of doing:
Extended the play, avoided taking a sack, ran and kept his eyes up, then threw a laser to the WR.

Here’s hoping we can get up 2-3 scores against UVA, so CDRW can get some run in the 2nd half.
And then play a bunch vs Wagner, before the 3rd string QB comes in for mop up duty.
I love the confidence coaches have in him. How often do you see QBs come in cold and immediately run a pass play? He's already done it a few times this year.

We’re 3-0 and Shrader was unwell coming into yesterday.

Don’t mess with what’s working.

Shrader every series until he can’t. I want to win games, I do not care what it looks like.

Hard pass.

We have a starting QB. I don’t want anyone learning on the job when we have a good season in the works. Football is a random sport, I don’t want to give away any possessions unnecessarily.

Ideally he’ll get time against Wagner.

We’re 3-0 and Shrader was unwell coming into yesterday.

Don’t mess with what’s working.

Shrader every series until he can’t. I want to win games, I do not care what it looks like.
Yep I got worried during the week when I heard he was unavailable for that Matt Park 2 minute interview thingy, sounds like he was sick during the week and it showed yesterday. UVA has a very vulnerable D and if anyone will know how to exploit their personnel it will be Anae

Hard pass.

We have a starting QB. I don’t want anyone learning on the job when we have a good season in the works. Football is a random sport, I don’t want to give away any possessions unnecessarily.

Considering Wagner lost to crappy Rutgers by 60 points, I would hope GS and Tucker get pulled before halftime! I agree about GS, he is our starter as long as he is healthy, nice to know we have potential as his backup however

I think if we beat Virginia and look halfway decent doing so, CD-RW should start against Wagner. We should have no problem beating them with him at QB and with how much Garrett runs it'd be great to get him two weeks of rest before NC St. It'd also be insanity if he got hurt against a team like Wagner right before the hardest part of our schedule.

I get being excited about the backup QB, but you guys did realize he threw the ball over the line, right? That’s what inexperienced QBs do under duress, among other things. Why would we sign up for that unless we have to?

Hard pass.

Amazing - in the game thread - how quickly the usual suspects (who have never been fans of Shrader) climb up from the floorboards to start calling for the backup. Didn't hear much from them the first two games.

Tucker has a less than stellar game and he earns (rightly) the benefit of the doubt; With Shrader? Off with his head!

There are going to be highs and lows, but Shrader has earned enough leash from me to let things play out. Even in games when things weren't going well with his passing(going back to last year), he seems to pull a rabbit out of a hat when it is needed (VTech, Getting into OT with Wake, yesterday, etc.).

Agreed 144%.

If we pull away from Virginia it won’t be till the 2nd half. People are overlooking this game. Huge trap.

I think if we beat Virginia and look halfway decent doing so, CD-RW should start against Wagner. We should have no problem beating them with him at QB and with how much Garrett runs it'd be great to get him two weeks of rest before NC St. It'd also be insanity if he got hurt against a team like Wagner right before the hardest part of our schedule.
We could beat Wagner by 50 with AJ Long and Rex Culpepper at QB. Not sure if I want GS to have all of that time off, maybe give him the first 5 series or something. Rest is good, potential rust for NC State is not.

I think shrader was very hesitant yesterday and was more so looking to scramble then find the open guy. Missed tucker on a DL down the field. (Kudos to the DE making a hell of a play for him, but just a terrible ball).

That was a rope by CDRW. It is very apparent that Shraders arm is extremely week for a D1 QB but he is getting he job done. I was impressed by the Purdue defense. Better than I expected.

Looked to me Purdue sold out to stop Tucker. We needed to throw the ball to run. Make them adjust. And the one play it looked like Tucker had some room to create he dropped the ball on the pitch. Purdue has allowed 3.1, 1.8, 3.4(most of the damage by shrader) yards per carry on the ground this year. Penn state went on to average 6.9 and 6.3 in there next two games. Purdue obviously has a tremendous run stopping team.

Thought the refs were pretty even for both teams. Thought there was a bad spot on the first 3rd down of the game when they gave them a first down without measuring. Looked short of line to gain. Thought that play jake was talking about being uncatchable was the correct call. There was a ton of contact which didn’t even allow our guy to even attempt getting to the ball, so I believe it was PI. I thought the interception of the flee flicker was ticky tack. I didn’t think there was a whole ton of contact, the defender was face guarding but the contact was very minimal.

All in all, Hell of a win for not our best game. Gotta put some of that on the coaching staff and the JMA & Fans!!!! You can win games like that at home!!!!

Last edited:
Did anyone notice, were the WRs having trouble getting open or was GS just hesitating to let it fly? There were a number of plays that the oline gave great protection but he just held the ball for forever.
In the first half the wrs really struggled to get open

Amazing - in the game thread - how quickly the usual suspects (who have never been fans of Shrader) climb up from the floorboards to start calling for the backup. Didn't hear much from them the first two games.

Tucker has a less than stellar game and he earns (rightly) the benefit of the doubt; With Shrader? Off with his head!

There are going to be highs and lows, but Shrader has earned enough leash from me to let things play out. Even in games when things weren't going well with his passing(going back to last year), he seems to pull a rabbit out of a hat when it is needed (VTech, Getting into OT with Wake, yesterday, etc.).

I can’t speak to the game thread, and want to clarify that OiG and I are NOT calling for ANYBODY to relace GS.

Or to platoon with him.

We’re just saying that, in games that are well in hand, that it would be nice to work CDRW in so:
A - he can get some live game reps
B - avoid Shrader taking any more hits than he needs to.

That’s it. That’s all.

This isn’t fans clamoring for Tommy to start over Dungey or anything remotely of the sort.

Now - if people were saying or alluding to such things in the game thread -
They are dumbasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom