SUNY Albany to play Hawaii in 2023 | Syracusefan.com

SUNY Albany to play Hawaii in 2023

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
This will set up a game featuring the most beautiful place on earth versus the ugliness place on earth. IT should be fascinating to see if the SUNY Albany players explode upon arrival.

I remember Gattuso when he was at Penn State. I think he was pretty arrogant to change his name from Greg to Great, but as they say, you can take the man out of State College but you can't take the State College out of the man.

UAlbany football to play Hawaii in 2023

This will set up a game featuring the most beautiful place on earth versus the ugliness place on earth. IT should be fascinating to see if the SUNY Albany players explode upon arrival.

I remember Gattuso when he was at Penn State. I think he was pretty arrogant to change his name from Greg to Great, but as they say, you can take the man out of State College but you can't take the State College out of the man.

UAlbany football to play Hawaii in 2023
Albany is the ugliest place on earth? You have not been to a lot of midwest towns my friend.

Or Utica.

Albany is the ugliest place on earth? You have not been to a lot of midwest towns my friend.

Or Utica.
I have been to SUNY Albany. It remains the ugliest place I have ever seen. This was back around 1978. Maybe things have changed but back then it looked like the set for a prison movie. A big prison movie. Concrete everywhere.

It was the anti-Hawaii.

Or Utica.
All I remember is when we played Utica Proctor they had BY FAR the best looking cheerleader squad of any team we played. Can't explain it.

I have been to SUNY Albany. It remains the ugliest place I have ever seen. This was back around 1978. Maybe things have changed but back then it looked like the set for a prison movie. A big prison movie. Concrete everywhere.

It was the anti-Hawaii.
Well to each his own. I fell in love with the campus as soon as I saw it. I enjoyed the industrial look. What I think is boring and overdone is the whole red brick/moss/ivy legacy look that every other campus sticks with. I find it boring and tired, like I'm stuck at some boarding school in England back in the 1800s. Blah.

All I remember is when we played Utica Proctor they had BY FAR the best looking cheerleader squad of any team we played. Can't explain it.
That's interesting. I will say, many of the Bosnian girls & the prissy, Italian princess, Meadow Soprano-types were always (& still are) some of the most attractive girls I've ever seen. Usually, if these girls were involved in any school sport, it was cheerleading.

Well to each his own. I fell in love with the campus as soon as I saw it. I enjoyed the industrial look. What I think is boring and overdone is the whole red brick/moss/ivy legacy look that every other campus sticks with. I find it boring and tired, like I'm stuck at some boarding school in England back in the 1800s. Blah.
It is architecturally famous actually. Edward Durell Stone is a very well regarded architect who did a LOT of well known work in and around NY and was known as a master for interpreting renaissance italian formality and proportion to an "international style". The Albany Campus is considered one of his masterworks. The big challenge in working on his buildings (I have) is their design makes it very difficult to add on to.
Edward Durell Stone - Wikipedia

It is architecturally famous actually. Edward Durell Stone is a very well regarded architect who did a LOT of well known work in and around NY and was known as a master for interpreting renaissance italian formality and proportion to an "international style". The Albany Campus is considered one of his masterworks. The big challenge in working on his buildings (I have) is their design makes it very difficult to add on to.
He was recruited by Nelson Rockefeller to design the campus.

Had his last kid with his 3rd wife in his early 70s...he apparently did more than draw lines on paper

What Herm why can't you get Hawaii on the schedule now week 0 games are allowed if you play them on the road or schedule them to visit you week 0? We have a history of playing the week before Labor Day too. Freakin Albany and Umass scheduled them before us...

What Herm why can't you get Hawaii on the schedule now week 0 games are allowed if you play them on the road or schedule them to visit you week 0? We have a history of playing the week before Labor Day too. Freakin Albany and Umass scheduled them before us...

I don't see how it's a good decision, financially, to play at Hawaii.

It remains the ugliest place I have ever seen. This was back around 1978.

In fairness, wasn't literally everywhere a dump in the late 70s? I've never heard someone say "wow, that place was so beautiful in 1978."

Like RIT, or worse?

Like RIT, or worse?
Even more concrete, on a bigger scale. I like concrete roads and sidewalks. But not concrete campuses.

I am more of a brick and stone kind of a guy.

I don't see how it's a good decision, financially, to play at Hawaii.

It's brilliant.

Take the money from playing at Syracuse and the money Hawaii will pay for out of town guests and market it five years in advance.

Smart.

Even more concrete, on a bigger scale. I like concrete roads and sidewalks. But not concrete campuses.

I am more of a brick and stone kind of a guy.

Agreed. I looked at both SUNY Albany and RIT, amongst others, back when I was checking out schools -
and both of those campuses felt like Russian penitentiaries, rather than colleges.

Both made this list, as well as a bunch of other NY schools and your "besties" in New Brunswick.
This list is fantastic! Needless to say it’s very subjective, but there are some good ones on here. The worst campus I’ve ever worked on as an architect was Nassau Community College. Ultimately there are way too many small state schools built all at once in the 60’s that don’t hold up to contemporary scrutiny and can’t afford to beautify outside of one building every 15 years. They will forever play catch-up in this game. There are some great architects in that list that have done great architecture. I think the client is often the real culprit. Good buildings are expensive. There’s a reason no Ivy’s made the list, and for the record they have ugly buildings to go along with beautiful ones by all these bashed architecture firms.
That said, my current firm is mentioned positively and my former was hit pretty hard. The former firm has turned over it’s design staff some between being #1 on this list and 6 years later designing our own IPF. My understanding is that all the old designers now teach at SUNY Buffalo. Sasaki, of our own Framework plan was not mentioned well either. My current firm is doing great things at places like Northwestern

This list is fantastic! Needless to say it’s very subjective, but there are some good ones on here. The worst campus I’ve ever worked on as an architect was Nassau Community College. Ultimately there are way too many small state schools built all at once in the 60’s that don’t hold up to contemporary scrutiny and can’t afford to beautify outside of one building every 15 years. They will forever play catch-up in this game. There are some great architects in that list that have done great architecture. I think the client is often the real culprit. Good buildings are expensive. There’s a reason no Ivy’s made the list, and for the record they have ugly buildings to go along with beautiful ones by all these bashed architecture firms.
That said, my current firm is mentioned positively and my former was hit pretty hard. The former firm has turned over it’s design staff some between being #1 on this list and 6 years later designing our own IPF. My understanding is that all the old designers now teach at SUNY Buffalo. Sasaki, of our own Framework plan was not mentioned well either. My current firm is doing great things at places like Northwestern
From what I understand, the ugliness of their buildings has become a point of great pride for Carnegie-Mellon students, just as the terribleness of the food in their cafeteria used to be one for Johns Hopkins students. They have a new caterer now who is really excellent.

Or Utica.
As a former native of Utica, I can say I understand what you’re saying. But the area surrounding Utica is very nice.

Or Utica.

I agree, Albany and the capital district framed by the dacks , Berkshires , and catskills. It's beautiful . Visit Erie , PA, Utica , or plenty of towns in PA, Ohio , etc ...none compare to what we have in this state. But AGAIN , this hits home bc I have been asking for a Albany/SU series for years!!! So, Albany will go 3k miles for not even a P5 game. Interesting that we haven't secured a series with them...frustrating .