Super Bowl LV: Where every player was ranked coming out of high school | Syracusefan.com

Super Bowl LV: Where every player was ranked coming out of high school

My biggest takeaway from this is that, either the services have a really hard time rating offensive lineman or offensive lineman have the most potential to develop after high school.

This gives me hope. With good scouting and development, there's no reason we can't be consistently good there. We don't need to find a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys (a few wouldn't hurt though).

Last edited:
My biggest takeaway from this is that, either the services have a really hard time rating offensive lineman or offensive lineman have the most potential to develop after high school.

This gives me hope. With good scouting and development, there's no reason we can't be consistently good there. We don't need to find a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys (a few wouldn't hurt though).
There were a lot of guys in our recruiting territories that we probably could have been involved with, but I don't recall us being involved with.

If you are a school that will have trouble bringing in high end ranked recruits, then your staffs better be able to scout and identify the potential gems

Most of those guys were recruited during the Greg and Doug years, some Scott.

most of the players 3 star or lower. There are high end recruits but they seem to be the exception not the rule.

There were a lot of guys in our recruiting territories that we probably could have been involved with, but I don't recall us being involved with.

If you are a school that will have trouble bringing in high end ranked recruits, then your staffs better be able to scout and identify the potential gems
Marpet is the prime example. Granted, he was 240 pounds out of HS and didn't lose an ounce of athleticism as he grew into a 300 pounder. But everyone whiffed on him to the extent that he ended up at a D3.

I'm curious, how did Tyreek Hill come out of high school, in Georgia of all places, unranked? Im sure there's a story/ reason there that I probably just missed

I'm curious, how did Tyreek Hill come out of high school, in Georgia of all places, unranked? Im sure there's a story/ reason there that I probably just missed
you should be asking the same about an unranked Antonio Brown who played in an even bigger recruiting hot spot in Liberty City, Miami.

you should be asking the same about an unranked Antonio Brown who played in an even bigger recruiting hot spot in Liberty City, Miami.
Maybe that's why. They may have gotten lost in the shuffle. For Hill his size may have had something to do with it.

I believe there was an article in the Atlanta paper referencing his size and grades. His grades forced him to go the juco route, ended up doing well, made it to okie state but was kicked off for domestic violence, ended up finishing out at west Alabama.

Last edited:
according to article by pete thamel (october 2020) our recruiting is the least sophisticated in the acc.

Somebody help me to understand what that means. I don't assume this is a wine and cheese with chamber music issue.
Just opinions from other coaches. Not really a way to quantify it.

Somebody help me to understand what that means. I don't assume this is a wine and cheese with chamber music issue.
i asked the same question in another thread. no response

Petey boy is oh so sophisticated in his all knowing, all seeing arrogance that he is the ultimate ranking machine here on planet earth. Thammel and his ilk introduce so much bs that fans just can't shovel from out under all that crappy verbiage. The sports world would be a better place without them.

At one point we were -7 on the glass and now we are plus 5.