SU's Allotment of 10,000 Tickets Nearly Sold Out | Syracusefan.com

SU's Allotment of 10,000 Tickets Nearly Sold Out

G

GoCuse44

Pittsburgh Post Gazzette: By Jenn Menendez / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ticket sales for the Pinstripe Bowl have been brisk, according to Matt Wells, West Virginia's assistant athletic director for marketing and sales, who said Monday only a few hundred were left to be purchased through the school.

Wells said more than 3,200 have been sold so far and he anticipates the team's 5,000 ticket allotment to be accounted for by the Dec. 29 game at Yankee Stadium. Another 1,200 to 1,300 will be used for the marching band, players families and the team officials traveling party, accounting for around 4,400 tickets.

"The fact that it's drivable helps keep sales going a little bit longer," Wells said. "Normally, you see the vast majority of your sales coming in that first week after the invitation because of travel plans, booking flights. The fact it's drivable removes that sense of urgency from our fan base."

Per the bowl agreement, West Virginia's allotment was 5,000 tickets, and Syracuse's is a little more than 10,000. According to bowl spokesman Jason Latimer, Syracuse has nearly sold all of its allotment as well.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/wvu/wvu-notebook-bowl-tickets-are-selling-well-665891/#ixzz2EnVumpnX

WVU gets a 5,000 ticket allotment and SU gets 10,000?

Doesn't 5,000 seem small for any bowl played at a stadium larger than 10,000 capacity?

Doesn't 5,000 seem small for any bowl played at a stadium larger than 10,000 capacity?

i think that we have a bigger allotment because bigeast is actually the host conference and they probably figure most will just buy from the yankees

Is it wrong to then assume 15k is the Yankees break even tickets sold point??

Empty Stadium? Or 15k in for football?

Then they likely figure another 10k will be sold on the matchup and then There's the 5k they will con into the game and its win win.

Is it wrong to then assume 15k is the Yankees break even tickets sold point??

Empty Stadium? Or 15k in for football?

Then they likely figure another 10k will be sold on the matchup and then There's the 5k they will con into the game and its win win.

Would make sense, but the way bowls seem to protect themselves and the stories you hear about schools not able to sell out their allotment, that 5k figure for one school just seems small. But I probably pay more attention to the BCS bowls as that's normally where you hear those stories. I have no idea how all the filler bowls work when it comes to school commitment.

There are more than 5,000 couches within a half mile radius of Yankees Stadium. This is a public safety issue.

I personally want to see a new version of that WVU commercial with the Mountain Man running through the South Bronx on game day instead of the woods. My money says he doesn't stand a chance.

An obvious attempt by the Pinstripe Bowl to limit the amount of meth entering the city.

It's unfortunate, the South Bronx is really going to go to hell once the Mountaineer fans descend on it.

There are more than 5,000 couches within a half mile radius of Yankees Stadium. This is a public safety issue.

I personally want to see a new version of that WVU commercial with the Mountain Man running through the South Bronx on game day instead of the woods. My money says he doesn't stand a chance.

In the old stadium, I think the Yankees would have been more willing to have a larger population without a full set of teeth. But the new digs are first class all the way. They'll have to show them all to get in. Opportunity for Stan's to sell dentures on the street.

the avg ticket is over $100 so 15K in sales is generating 1.5 to 2 Million,

add in tv/parking,concessions.

take out expenses + the 3.6 million payout

looks like 30K would probably be the closer break even number

38K showed up the first two games looks like they are on pace for that again.. pretty good really for a cold weather site with no real local football tradition.

In the old stadium, I think the Yankees would have been more willing to have a larger population without a full set of teeth. But the new digs are first class all the way. They'll have to show them all to get in. Opportunity for Stan's to sell dentures on the street.

Wait until they see that there's no trailer parking permitted.

I have already emailed the Dude that Tristy is showing up with Justin Beiber in his limo. Riot.

An obvious attempt by the Pinstripe Bowl to limit the amount of meth entering the city.

t

It will also do an excellent job keeping some of the "dashes" out of the stadium as well. You know, like, "This is my Uncle-Brother-Husband."

wvu hasnt sold 5k yet? not going to be a lot of mounties there. i figured they would be pissed about how this season went after getting to #5 in the country.

How many tickets did KState sell last time? There were a lot more than 5,000 in purple and I suspect there will be a lot more than that from West Virginia. I figure about 20,000 from SU, 10,000 from West Virginia. Tickets sold through the school never reflect actual tickets bought by the fan base.

I assume this doesn't include sales directly through Ticketmaster via the Pinstripe Bowl website.

How many tickets did KState sell last time? There were a lot more than 5,000 in purple and I suspect there will be a lot more than that from West Virginia. I figure about 20,000 from SU, 10,000 from West Virginia. Tickets sold through the school never reflect actual tickets bought by the fan base.

without a doubt tix through the school dont tell the whole story. and i agree with your numbers. but to listen to some here a week ago, those numbers for wvu would be real low.

More importantly, how many did Rutgers sell last year?

According to this article, KState sold 3200 in 2010. WVU will have double the fans KSU had.

http://blogs.kansas.com/kstated/2011/04/22/k-state-breaks-even-on-pinstripe-bowl/

More importantly, how many did Rutgers sell last year?

Syracuse sold around 8,000 to the last Pinstripe, Rutgers sold more than 13,000. That, of course, doesn't take into account people who bought tickets through other means. Iowa State sold all of its 5,000 last year.

If we are close to 10,000...lets say 9,000...then I think we could easily sell 11-12,000 tix through SU. We might have a slightly larger presence than in 2010. Add in more hillbillies than ISU or KSU brought and the stadium should be within 5-10,000 seats of a sellout.

Mark- do you know how many tickets sold thru your link?

If we are close to 10,000...lets say 9,000...then I think we could easily sell 11-12,000 tix through SU. We might have a slightly larger presence than in 2010. Add in more hillbillies than ISU or KSU brought and the stadium should be within 5-10,000 seats of a sellout.

Sounds like we are going to have another good turnout. Looking forward to this trip more and more each day.

Syracuse sold around 8,000 to the last Pinstripe, Rutgers sold more than 13,000. That, of course, doesn't take into account people who bought tickets through other means. Iowa State sold all of its 5,000 last year.
Rutgers 'sold' their allocation of 13K in tickets, but it comes with an asterisk. They gave every RU student a free ticket that would take one and gave them the ability to buy two more at an extreme discount. Their numbers are misleading. Throw out half of those 'sold' tickets, probably more.

Let's look at opponent ticket sales as well. According to their web site, Kansas State was allocated 2,300 tickets in 2010 and sold 3,200. Iowa State bought their allocation of 4,800 in 2011 and exceeded it. They were close to 5,000 on 12/21/11, the last day I could find an article discussing Iowa State ticket sales. Take whatever the tickets bought from the school directly and double it to get real numbers of fans that attended. That is a fair assumption except for schools like Rutgers that give away most of their tickets. That means that there were a lot more Iowa State fans attending the 2011 game than Kansas State fans in 2010. My guess is around 4,000 more.

Despite playing in 50 degree weather, on a perfect day/night for football (as opposed to a snowstorm and temperatures in the 25 degree range for Syracuse), despite the opponent buying significantly more tickets, the attendance at Pinstripe I was 38,274 and the attendance for Pinstripe II was 38,328.

Syracuse fans bought far more tickets than Rutgers fans did in 2010 and they will do it again in 2012.