SU's greatest leapers | Syracusefan.com

SU's greatest leapers

Toga

Living Legend
Gonna lead off with Stevie and Bing. Wes may have been the quickest leaper.

Does one need to get their entire foot off the floor to be in the hunt?
Maybe just people that could dunk and then their height. And then go from there.

Who on syracusefan.com is the greatest leaper?
Not sure but my search would definitely begin & end on the hoops recruiting board. Or, better yet, the “Jalen Carey Body Language” Thread.

D1AD5397-5254-4CA6-9DD1-CB66B1EB63E9.jpeg

Not sure but my search would definitely begin & end on the hoops recruiting board. Or, better yet, the “Jalen Carey Body Language” Thread.

View attachment 167789
Yeah, I was worried about that. I should have clarified. I also shouldn’t have tried to hijack this thread, but I am an inconsiderate bastard (ask my wife).

Stephen Thompson.

It begins and ends there.
Red Bruin was widely reported to have a 42 inch vertical.

According to this article, Stevie’s was measured at 40.5 inches after his senior season..

Wesley’s vertical was measured at 37.5 before he was drafted.

According to this article, Stevie’s was measured at 40.5 inches after his senior season..

Good points. Tony could certainly sky. Maybe it was because Stevie was a tad shorter it seemed he jumped higher.

I would pay to see a contest between Red and Stevie (in their prime).

MCW was 41 at the combine. Don’t recall Southy

"...Flynn... had the best one-step vert at the 2009 combine: 40.0". But that wasn't the best Syracuse performance in recent memory. Michael Carter-Williams measured 41.0". That kind of surprises me. I don't think of him as a crazy leaper. (I remember him as having very long arms, which also isn't true: the kid who was a shade under 6'6" only had a wingspan a little over 6'7". As a comparison, Malachi Richardson was roughly the same height with a 7'0" wingspan.)

Wesley Johnson recorded a top-ten one-step vertical in 2010 (37.0") but his standing vertical was the best of the combine: 32.0". That makes perfect sense to anyone who saw him play - he was a fine athlete but really remarkably quick off the floor from a standstill.

For everyone wondering, Jerami Grant shows no recorded vertical leap test in 2014. Ennis and Fair were both 35.0" from a step.

Obviously this leaves out a ton of kids from an earlier era. I remember that SU used to test this during fall practice. Perhaps the SID has a ranking somewhere."

Wes Johnson is my pick for this century (though Carter-Williams is objectively better). I also remember Jeremy McNeil being rumored to be around 40" from one step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom