SU's struggles in ACC | Syracusefan.com

SU's struggles in ACC

Pay site. Pass.
I agree that the payment options the Post Standard have are ludicrous. There should be more options for people and in turn more money for The Post.

I hope you don't think you should get that information at zero cost though. Journalism is dying in America and it's in part to the really stupid decision by a lot of newspapers during the first dot.com boom to give their material away for free, but it's exacerbated by people today believing they are owed that material at no cost. Reporting and covering a community is not a free commodity, nor should it be.

Again though, with that said - The Post Standard needs to allow people to subscribe to just certain sections, or even an ala carte payment plan where you get 10 articles for two bucks per month, etc...

I, too, believe in supporting local journalism, although I think the $19/month a little ridiculous. I pay $15/month for the NYT and WP. Also, I rarely read anything in the Post Standard except sports. But I like supporting the sports writers. I think they’re great!

That was a good article discussing the many layers of difficulty we have experienced since joining the ACC. I think the sanctions hurt us a lot, along with Boeheim’s uncertain retirement, and the fact that recruiting for players in the ACC is not as easy as it was for us when we recruited players for the Big East. The death of the old Big East is something I still mourn.

It's funny that the Athletic got criticized for some here for not making the Q article available for all but our local dot com does it for pretty much every story.

Journalism died when it became a platform for pushing left or right wing agendas. Who personally cares what the Syracuse.com editorial board thinks? Yet they keep plastering their opinion like it’s worth more than everyone else.

I hanker for the old days when it was just about reporting the news.

I agree that the payment options the Post Standard have are ludicrous. There should be more options for people and in turn more money for The Post.

I hope you don't think you should get that information at zero cost though. Journalism is dying in America and it's in part to the really stupid decision by a lot of newspapers during the first dot.com boom to give their material away for free, but it's exacerbated by people today believing they are owed that material at no cost. Reporting and covering a community is not a free commodity, nor should it be.

Again though, with that said - The Post Standard needs to allow people to subscribe to just certain sections, or even an ala carte payment plan where you get 10 articles for two bucks per month, etc...
They do have a syracuse.com Orange Sports Insider subscription listed under their subscription options at the bottom of each web page. Not sure what it costs because my browser keeps clocking when I click on that page. Also, I cancelled my $10 per month subscription briefly and within a week, I was getting offers for $5 per month for a year.

Journalism died when it became a platform for pushing left or right wing agendas. Who personally cares what the Syracuse.com editorial board thinks? Yet they keep plastering their opinion like it’s worth more than everyone else.

I hanker for the old days when it was just about reporting the news.
So all newspaper editorial boards and editorials go back to oh, the turn of the LAST century. That's nothing new. Also - point out the agendas individually in the Post Standard where actual reporting and research isn't done. Opinion articles and editorials have been around for more than a century. Editorial and News sections have a firewall between them for good reason, and it is almost always strictly adhered to.

As a journalism professor and an expert in biased and unbiased news sources, that I have researched and studied for two decades, I'll gladly work with you to find stories that are pushing massive agendas in your local daily newspaper, or television station and report them to management.

They do have a syracuse.com Orange Sports Insider subscription listed under their subscription options at the bottom of each web page. Not sure what it costs because my browser keeps clocking when I click on that page. Also, I cancelled my $10 per month subscription briefly and within a week, I was getting offers for $5 per month for a year.
The Orange Sports Insider link looks like it might be dead. If they are truly offering sports only that's great, but a dead link isn't a good look.

Apologies everyone if this piece has already been posted elsewhere, but Mike Waters does a fabulous job of detailing why the 'Cuse has struggled in its regular seasons since joining the ACC. Worth a read.

Since joining the ACC, SU basketball’s regular-season record has been mediocre. Why is that?

Haven't read it, but on the topic, the bottom of the ACC seems like it's a lot stronger than the bottom of the last version of the Big East we were in. USF, DePaul, Seton Hall and the ghost of the Johnnies gave us a bunch of baked in wins in front of friendly crowds in pro arenas.

We're also the only "new" team in the ACC to punch through to a Final Four and get a couple of Sweet 16 in.

Haven't read it, but on the topic, the bottom of the ACC seems like it's a lot stronger than the bottom of the last version of the Big East we were in. USF, DePaul, Seton Hall and the ghost of the Johnnies gave us a bunch of baked in wins in front of friendly crowds in pro arenas.

We're also the only "new" team in the ACC to punch through to a Final Four and get a couple of Sweet 16 in.

Good point. The bottom ACC teams maybe just absent BC, have treated playing Duke and UNC like having a tourney game or 4 every year. With the expanded conference that spreads to 4 to 8 of those games every year.

In the BE these teams were really just feeding the top 6 more than posing a threat night in night out.

Plus DePaul, St John's, Seton Hall, Providence all without FBS football programs too. The commitment to Athletics overall is just different when you have both hoops and football at the highest level. Doesn't at all mean you can't win (Nova) but you can see that trend with those programs vs what we see in the ACC with all members having both or being linked (ND).

The Bottom of the Acc isn't as big, I mean we have owned BC, have pretty much had a lot of success against Wake and GT. You bring over Lville and Pitt, and Trade Gtown and Uconn for Unc and Duke. That makes a difference.

The Bottom of the Acc isn't as big, I mean we have owned BC, have pretty much had a lot of success against Wake and GT. You bring over Lville and Pitt, and Trade Gtown and Uconn for Unc and Duke. That makes a difference.

There really aren't gimmes (outside I guess BC) going into on campus arenas against well funded programs looking to win. We had at least a few a year in the old league.

We did not struggle when we first came into the conference. We were actually dominant. Then the ncaa imposed bs sanctions for the conduct and we really have taken a step back. Hopefully we turn things around this year in conference and continue to build.

We did not struggle when we first came into the conference. We were actually dominant. Then the ncaa imposed bs sanctions for the conduct and we really have taken a step back. Hopefully we turn things around this year in conference and continue to build.
I think you’re not remembering.

True. In its first season of ACC basketball (2013-14), Syracuse started 12-0, with wins over UNC and Duke. Then BC pulled the upset, and it all seemed to fall apart...