Swag Daddy | Syracusefan.com

Swag Daddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarHeadJim

I have never won sheet!
I live 70 miles from Tallahassee. I also work with many FSU fans. One of them had on a pod cast just now and they were talking about FSU's opening for DB's coach. AHH yes one of the names thrown out was Nick Monroe. Don't shoot the Messenger.

I live 70 miles from Tallahassee. I also work with many FSU fans. One of them had on a pod cast just now and they were talking about FSU's opening for DB's coach. AHH yes one of the names thrown out was Nick Monroe. Don't shoot the Messenger.
One of their fanboy web sites also had Chip West as a possibility.

I think Swag has had several suitors over the years. The good ones usually do but he's in a great spot right now to continue at Syracuse because he has a very clear path to becoming a DC at Syracuse because Rocky isn't going to be here forever, he can also learn from a Yoda type figure with regard to the 3-3-5. Even if the bottom falls out the knowledge he gains from working with Coach Long is only going to be feather in his cap. If Dino continues to get us to bowl games coach Monroe is easiliy going to be the DC sooner rather than later. His resume will be fully built to take on that roll here. It will be a no brainer

And guess what learn the 3-3-5 have some success as a d coordinator and his personality and recruiting prowess makes him an outstanding head coaching candidate in I will say within 5 years

It's nice having coaches being wanted by other teams or at least mentioned and I really hope Swag stays to be HC someday.

Yeah I think he has a ton of what you look for in a HC. Needs to prove himself as a DC first and I think that shot comes sooner or later. He's kind of got a lot of CNY in him too he's got a members only jacket stuffed in a closet somewhere from back in the day. If Dino continues to weather the storm, I think Nick will still be here as the DC eventually and maybe he does get a shot as the HC. beck probably will not be here that long.

Monroe is here as long as Dino is, IMO unless he gets a HUGE opportunity. He obviously likes it here and gets along with Dino as well. They have worked together for over 10 years now

Yeah I think he has a ton of what you look for in a HC. Needs to prove himself as a DC first and I think that shot comes sooner or later. He's kind of got a lot of CNY in him too he's got a members only jacket stuffed in a closet somewhere from back in the day. If Dino continues to weather the storm, I think Nick will still be here as the DC eventually and maybe he does get a shot as the HC. beck probably will not be here that long.

Monroe is here as long as Dino is, IMO unless he gets a HUGE opportunity. He obviously likes it here and gets along with Dino as well. They have worked together for over 10 years now
The path also might be Beck as HC and Swag as his DC.

Or even assistant head coach and DC to keep him happy with a bigger title and $.

Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

Kinda surprised he doesn't get more attention/praise, including on this board.

I’ve brought up his name a few times. Monroe is great. But so is West. I think sometimes people forget West coaches the DBs and Monroe the Safeties. Some lump the positions together and give all the credit to Monroe. In Wests 3 years here each season beginning starter has made an All ACC team. Iffy and Williams, Williams and Duce, Williams and Duce. And now some of the young guys are looking pretty good.

I’ve brought up his name a few times. Monroe is great. But so is West. I think sometimes people forget West coaches the DBs and Monroe the Safeties. Some lump the positions together and give all the credit to Monroe. In Wests 3 years here each season beginning starter has made an All ACC team. Iffy and Williams, Williams and Duce, Williams and Duce. And now some of the young guys are looking pretty good.

Shhhh...trying to keep Coach West out of the rumor mill!

So I'll be honest here, I always kinda found Monroe to be a little cheesy. But he's been with Dino a long time, he connects with recruits and players, and that's all that mattered.

Then I watched that Zoom press conference for the Pinstripe Bowl, and came away with a different image of him. He was very passionate talking about his admiration for Dino, and how it has allowed him to be a dedicated and better family man, even with this demanding job. How he said he'd always be grateful to Dino for some of those life lessons he's learned.

Now I'm the one being cheesy (what's new), and he may certainly leave for a better offer (who wouldn't). But I'm hopeful that his relationship with Dino keeps him here, and I have a new found appreciation for him. The game he called in the Pinstripe Bowl didn't hurt either.

I like Coach West too, but only because he has a cool first name. I don't really know anything else about him.

Its been obvious that Nick is as good as we have had in a long time. Guy can recruit with the best of them. Identifies talent. Coaches kids up. Is a CNY guy. Loyal by all accounts a great family guy. Coached a heck of a game against the gophers. He is the one coach we cant lose.

I just don't see how that happens, if the team has success Dino will be here for at least another 4-5 years. Beck will be gone to a bigger program as OC or as a HC somewhere, Swag promoted to DC in a couple years and possible still here.

If Dino fails they are ALL gone, IMO and certainly Coach Monroe. Nick has roots in the area now as well.

So I'll be honest here, I always kinda found Monroe to be a little cheesy. But he's been with Dino a long time, he connects with recruits and players, and that's all that mattered.

Then I watched that Zoom press conference for the Pinstripe Bowl, and came away with a different image of him. He was very passionate talking about his admiration for Dino, and how it has allowed him to be a dedicated and better family man, even with this demanding job. How he said he'd always be grateful to Dino for some of those life lessons he's learned.

Now I'm the one being cheesy (what's new), and he may certainly leave for a better offer (who wouldn't). But I'm hopeful that his relationship with Dino keeps him here, and I have a new found appreciation for him. The game he called in the Pinstripe Bowl didn't hurt either.

I like Coach West too, but only because he has a cool first name. I don't really know anything else about him.

I had the same exact thought process. From the little cheesy (for me) to really loving his interview and what he had to say. Thought it was a lot more positive toward the area and school then Becks interview. Not saying Becks was bad but very cookie cutter.

Let's string a couple of winning seasons together before we start talking about replacing Dino from within.

yep it's a year to year business right now for Mr Dino. I would say another 7-5 season next year will get him at least 2 more years. Syracuse will have to either extend him or not at some point

I had the same exact thought process. From the little cheesy (for me) to really loving his interview and what he had to say. Thought it was a lot more positive toward the area and school then Becks interview. Not saying Becks was bad but very cookie cutter.

I get the feeling Swag Daddy really appreciates the stability he’s had working at Cuse -
coaches very rarely get to stay in one place for this long.

And he seems to genuinely love Cuse and CNY area.
He’s got a job he loves, is very good at, and is making the most $ he’s ever made in his life doing.

The Beck’s are new to Cuse & CNY, so its understandable why there’s not the same level of affection from them. Yet.

We also haven't seen much of a sampling from Beck as a recruiter yet like we've seen from Nick.

yep when you have kids who are still at home like Nick does, that work/life balance thing is huge
precisely. just watch how much he enjoys playing with his kids on the field after games and the genuine love/smiles. Then remember how much the stability for his kids in terms of being the same place helps too. He's a great guy and can totally see why he relates to Dino given their family focuses.

I can see Nick being a great HC one day. He has all of the great leadership qualities you want.

But he’s our best recruiter and we’re last in the ACC in recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.