SXM top 1000 Alternative Songs | Syracusefan.com

SXM top 1000 Alternative Songs

kirbivore

2019 Cali Award (Passing Yards)
This has been on the last week and will continue running until 6/17 on SXM channel 177. I've popped into the station when in the car. Some songs I've heard veer closer to pop. I happened to catch their top 10 today and here's what they played:

10. Alanis Morrisette - "You Oughta Know"
9. Coldplay - "Yellow"
8. Radiohead - "Creep"
7. The Cure - "Just Like Heaven"
6. Pearl Jam - "Jeremy"
5. U2 - "Pride (In The Name of Love)"
4. RHCP - "Under The Bridge"
3. White Stripes - "Seven Nation Army"
2. Joy Division - "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
1. Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

This has been on the last week and will continue running until 6/17 on SXM channel 177. I've popped into the station when in the car. Some songs I've heard veer closer to pop. I happened to catch their top 10 today and here's what they played:

10. Alanis Morrisette - "You Oughta Know"
9. Coldplay - "Yellow"
8. Radiohead - "Creep"
7. The Cure - "Just Like Heaven"
6. Pearl Jam - "Jeremy"
5. U2 - "Pride (In The Name of Love)"
4. RHCP - "Under The Bridge"
3. White Stripes - "Seven Nation Army"
2. Joy Division - "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
1. Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
I’m happy to see Joy Division and The Cure represented.

Agreed - It's always interesting how people define alternative. Some on this list brought their genre into the mainstream because they were just so good, while others had a carefully crafted image and song catalog from major record companies, but just had an edgier sound than the Spice Girls so were considered alternative.

I'd get REM in there over a couple of those tunes. They're on the Mt Rushmore of alt rock as much if not more than anyone.
My wife agrees

Both are great songs but I think daughter might be a bit more popular.

Jeremy / Alive is their $$$ song. And the Jeremy video was pretty twisted for it's time. Great board topic though!

Fall on Me / The One I Love / End of the World / Losing My Religion.

I'm sure they were all in the top 1000. I agree the boys from Athens should've had one in the top 10. Easy swap out with Coldplay IMO

Jeremy / Alive is their $$$ song. And the Jeremy video was pretty twisted for it's time. Great board topic though!
It's a great song very twisted it's about a school shooting.

Interesting list. I agree with Smells Like Teen Spirit at number 1. Lots of good stuff in there. I’m a big Alanis fan but not sure I’d put her in the top 10.

Any classic rock fans here? Q104.3 in NYC does a top 1,043 countdown every Thanksgiving and I find it highly entertaining. Stairway to Heaven tops the list every year without fail. Wondering if anyone else thinks it’s far and away the top classic rock song of all time.

The Smiths How Soon is Now should be there. But my definition of alternative rock basically has the genre ending in 1995.

On Stairway I read it was so popular with djs because the length of the song corresponded to the length of time it took to smoke a cigarette.

On Stairway I read it was so popular with djs because the length of the song corresponded to the length of time it took to smoke a cigarette.
I've heard the same about "Nights in White Satin."

The Smiths How Soon is Now should be there. But my definition of alternative rock basically has the genre ending in 1995.

Could have smoked a whole pack if they played In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Agreed - It's always interesting how people define alternative. Some on this list brought their genre into the mainstream because they were just so good, while others had a carefully crafted image and song catalog from major record companies, but just had an edgier sound than the Spice Girls so were considered alternative.
I guess it's up to interpretation. When I think alternative I think 90s Pearl Jam, Stp, Green Day, chili peppers, Nirvana etc etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom