Syracuse All-Short and All-Tall Team | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse All-Short and All-Tall Team

twinight

Scout Team
if you had to assemble a team of SU players (from any era) 6'3" and under, who would you choose, and what positions would they play? (So not necessarily just the best 5 short players, but 5 who could play the respective positions well).

Same question for a team of players 6'10" and over.

Sherman Douglas
Josh Pace
Stevie Thompson
Paul Harris
Pearl

6-10 and over is a lot harder -- those guys are usually 5's in our system. Wish you'd made it 6-9 or 6-8, because that opens up a lot of possibilities [Wallace, Owens, Carmelo, Leo, Hak] / versatility. But I know who I'm starting this team off with [there can be only one]...

DC
Rony Seikaly
Bill Smith
Rudy Hackett
LeRon Ellis [tough choice to fill out this squad; could run all day, could hit outside shots, etc.; ultimately liked his "fit" better than other true 5's like Fab, Chukwu, Watkins, etc.]

I think Chris McCullough was 6'10". How good was he, though? Too small a sample size.

Sherman Douglas
Josh Pace
Stevie Thompson
Paul Harris
Pearl

6-10 and over is a lot harder -- those guys are usually 5's in our system. Wish you'd made it 6-9 or 6-8, because that opens up a lot of possibilities [Wallace, Owens, Carmelo, Leo, Hak] / versatility. But I know who I'm starting this team off with [there can be only one]...

DC
Rony Seikaly
Bill Smith
Rudy Hackett
LeRon Ellis [tough choice to fill out this squad; could run all day, could hit outside shots, etc.; ultimately liked his "fit" better than other true 5's like Fab, Chukwu, Watkins, etc.]

Lydon could bring some shooting on the tall team.

if you had to assemble a team of SU players (from any era) 6'3" and under, who would you choose, and what positions would they play? (So not necessarily just the best 5 short players, but 5 who could play the respective positions well).

Same question for a team of players 6'10" and over.
6'3 and under

Dave Bing was listed at 6'3. He is the best Syracuse player ever. I would certainly have him on the short team. Douglas and Pearl are no brainers.

Thompson was listed at 6'4. So was Paul Harris. I am going to go by officially listed heights and can't pick them.

Not much outside shooting so far. Monroe and McNamara address that. Add in Mark Wadach and Mike Lee to get some rebounds. I would put Flynn and Autry on the team for depth, and Jason Hart for defense.

6'10 and over

Marek was listed at 6'10. He has to be on the tall team for his ball handling and passing abilities and overall flexibility on offense and defense. Derrick Coleman is a no brainer. He was also a fine ball handler and a very good passer. Maybe not quite as good as Marek but very good.

Seikaly has to be on. Really good rebounder, shot blocker and very polished scoring inside. Excellent all around player. Bouie might be our best center ever defensively and he was good rebounding and could score too. They are no brainers.

I will put McCullough on the team because it looked like he was skilled enough to be a forward, though it is hard to say for a guy who played so little in orange.

Schayes was a good outside shooter, a good passer, could score inside, rebound and play defense. He gets on the team for his overall skill set. Keita has to be on the team for his defensive abilities and hustle. I will put Fab Melo on the team too for his outstanding defense.

Etan was only 6'9. Can't pick him. Same goes for Rudy Hackett.

Filipowski sounds like he would join the 6'10 team very quickly, should he come to Syracuse.

Thought he was listed at 6-10. Oh well.
Lydon is 6'10 ... at least he's listed at 6'10 which is all we really have to go by.

PG - Dolezaj
SG - Lyndon
SF - Coleman
PF - Seikaly
C - Melo

Honestly, it's a more well rounded team than you'd expect.

PG - Pearl
SG - McNamara
SF - Douglas
PF - Flynn
C - Bing

Great list of names, don't think they'd make a very great basketball team.

I know who would make the All Short Orange Media team.
There are so many media figures that are short, but JB obviously has a favorite.

You will need some 3pt shooting for the 6'10" and up team - I just witnessed a video of Jesse Edwards knocking down 3's, plus a worthy running mate - Elvir Ovcina who shot 35 % one year. (I'm ignoring the inconvenient other years).

Did I miss it? I'm surprised nobody has picked Bouie.

Short team:
Bing
Douglas
Pearl
GMac
Flynn

Tall Team:
Bouie
Seikaly
DC
Schayes
Fab
Had a tough time picking a fifth.

Don’t overlook Dave Bing just because you may never have heard of him. He was our best ever. He & JB played the backcourt. Look up Bing’s career with the Detroit Pistons.
Historical bias. Today's "all time" or "best ever" lists for any sport usually tend to ignore players from past eras (usually going back only 20 - 25 years). Most of it is caused by hype from controlling interests (tv, owners, league press) saying today is the best ever. Sports casters/writers never saw certain people and often there isn't film or tape of them or isn't reviewed. Then to in many instances the game has changed so much, comparisons are different. Put todays b-ball players back 30 or so years with no 3pt line, hand checking, more physical play and how do they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom