Syracuse and Hulk Hogan | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse and Hulk Hogan

DangerZone

Walk On
Harlem Globetrotter games and Pro Wrestling are two examples of sports entertainment. The 'outcomes' are predetermined. But more than that, there are essentially scripted components and roles that each opponent, managers, and even the officials have to carry out. Though the defense in tonight's game was very reminiscent of a Globetrotter game, I think the better analogy is wrestling.

For me, Hulk Hogan matches were the best and worst example of sports entertainment. I actually couldn't stand his matches because of the idiotic algorithm that was put in place regardless of whether the opponent was half the size or considerably more athletic. The battle would begin as an even matchup, each wrestler trading blows. Then eventually the heel would get the upper hand and the Hulkster would look like he'd met his match and then some. This would go on until fans felt that Hogan was going to be defeated. The ref is making sure that the heel breaks his holds and is very involved in making sure there is visible legitimacy to this plodding part of the match. After 5 to 10 minutes of one-sidedness, Hogan would find himself in a submission hold like a leg lock or sleeper. He'd nearly be counted out, but then on the third test of his limp arm, his hand would stop falling inches from the mat. Out of nowhere, he would tap into a reserve of energy that everyone knew was there all along. They were waiting for it and now here it is! He breaks out, blocks several more blows and then delivers the first of several blows of his own. Now the opponent is reeling! The heel who at one time couldn't miss landing a dropkick or punch, can't seem to connect. The official is nowhere to be found now. It's mayhem in the arena. One or two more quick set up moves and finally Hogan delivers his patented leg drop. 1-2-3! The heel is pinned, and Hogan's arm is held up in victory.

To the uninitiate, this would look like one of the greatest comebacks of all time. But if you were a mature wrestling fan, you knew this was exactly the way the match was going to play out. And sure, Hogan and this heel might put on this same show in a different city just a few nights later, and the match itself might play out a little differently, but the ending would look the same. When a championship was not on the line, the WWE might even let the heel win by countout or disqualificaiton. But when the outcome mattered and the match was on tv, the outcome was certain.

Is anyone else getting a bit tired of the predictability of these games even when they end the way you want them to? Did Syracuse's win tonight feel like a repeat? Have we not seen this exact sequence of events several times, maybe dozens of times before? Is anyone else a little suspicious of scores making serious moves towards the spread as the minutes wind down? Does the desperation press look at all like a Hulk Hogan 'out of nowhere' energy explosion? Does it seem odd that Mike Brey has his team ill-prepared for a press he's seen several times before? Does it seem ridiculous for Jim Boeheim to stick with a losing defense as long as he does? How about the phantom calls, the makeup calls, the fact that some guys are always on the line and others can't get there unless they get clotheslined? Is it weird that Syracuse can't score three possessions in a row for an hour, but when the press is on, suddenly every possession is fruitful? All of a sudden, a team that's hit a dozen threes can't even get one off now? Does it seem that everyone has a role to play?

If one wanted to see Syracuse win by 5 points tonight, would it have been better for the Orange to:
1) take an early lead and then play even all the way to the end?
2) take a huge lead and then squander nearly all of it?
3) have many lead changes and then just drill a shot or two at the end?
4) trail most of the game but come back just when you think they were out for the count?

The reaction in the Dome tells me the fans were manipulated in every bit the same way as wrestling fans in MSG would be for a Flair/Hogan title match. They LOVE #4. And they always have.

For me, this formula has played out so many times, it's gotten stale, predictable and actually boring. The lack of variation has become un-entertaining. And frankly, NCAA hoops has an illegitimate feel to it. And has for some time.

[Not long ago, someone equated Syracuse to Koko B. Ware. That was a brilliant observation to the macro level of where Syracuse is ranked and which opponents they can beat. As far as the micro level of how an individual game plays out, particularly in the Dome, they're Hulk Hogan - a lazy, predictable, formulaic show.]

Confused Steve Urkel GIF

Winning*
Just to be clear. Notre Dame was consistently dismantling Syracuse's zone defense and had an 8 to 10-point lead with perhaps 7 or 8 minutes left. Most coaches would have aborted the zone much earlier after having observed the ease in which the opponent was scoring. If ND had the lead, then it must be that Syracuse was losing.

Just to be clear. Notre Dame was consistently dismantling Syracuse's zone defense and had an 8 to 10-point lead with perhaps 7 or 8 minutes left. Most coaches would have aborted the zone much earlier after having observed the ease in which the opponent was scoring. If ND had the lead, then it must be that Syracuse was losing.
We won the game. Full stop.

Harlem Globetrotter games and Pro Wrestling are two examples of sports entertainment. The 'outcomes' are predetermined. But more than that, there are essentially scripted components and roles that each opponent, managers, and even the officials have to carry out. Though the defense in tonight's game was very reminiscent of a Globetrotter game, I think the better analogy is wrestling.

For me, Hulk Hogan matches were the best and worst example of sports entertainment. I actually couldn't stand his matches because of the idiotic algorithm that was put in place regardless of whether the opponent was half the size or considerably more athletic. The battle would begin as an even matchup, each wrestler trading blows. Then eventually the heel would get the upper hand and the Hulkster would look like he'd met his match and then some. This would go on until fans felt that Hogan was going to be defeated. The ref is making sure that the heel breaks his holds and is very involved in making sure there is visible legitimacy to this plodding part of the match. After 5 to 10 minutes of one-sidedness, Hogan would find himself in a submission hold like a leg lock or sleeper. He'd nearly be counted out, but then on the third test of his limp arm, his hand would stop falling inches from the mat. Out of nowhere, he would tap into a reserve of energy that everyone knew was there all along. They were waiting for it and now here it is! He breaks out, blocks several more blows and then delivers the first of several blows of his own. Now the opponent is reeling! The heel who at one time couldn't miss landing a dropkick or punch, can't seem to connect. The official is nowhere to be found now. It's mayhem in the arena. One or two more quick set up moves and finally Hogan delivers his patented leg drop. 1-2-3! The heel is pinned, and Hogan's arm is held up in victory.

To the uninitiate, this would look like one of the greatest comebacks of all time. But if you were a mature wrestling fan, you knew this was exactly the way the match was going to play out. And sure, Hogan and this heel might put on this same show in a different city just a few nights later, and the match itself might play out a little differently, but the ending would look the same. When a championship was not on the line, the WWE might even let the heel win by countout or disqualificaiton. But when the outcome mattered and the match was on tv, the outcome was certain.

Is anyone else getting a bit tired of the predictability of these games even when they end the way you want them to? Did Syracuse's win tonight feel like a repeat? Have we not seen this exact sequence of events several times, maybe dozens of times before? Is anyone else a little suspicious of scores making serious moves towards the spread as the minutes wind down? Does the desperation press look at all like a Hulk Hogan 'out of nowhere' energy explosion? Does it seem odd that Mike Brey has his team ill-prepared for a press he's seen several times before? Does it seem ridiculous for Jim Boeheim to stick with a losing defense as long as he does? How about the phantom calls, the makeup calls, the fact that some guys are always on the line and others can't get there unless they get clotheslined? Is it weird that Syracuse can't score three possessions in a row for an hour, but when the press is on, suddenly every possession is fruitful? All of a sudden, a team that's hit a dozen threes can't even get one off now? Does it seem that everyone has a role to play?

If one wanted to see Syracuse win by 5 points tonight, would it have been better for the Orange to:
4) trail most of the game but come back just when you think they were out for the count?

The reaction in the Dome tells me the fans were manipulated in every bit the same way as wrestling fans in MSG would be for a Flair/Hogan title match. They LOVE #4. And they always have.

For me, this formula has played out so many times, it's gotten stale, predictable and actually boring. The lack of variation has become un-entertaining. And frankly, NCAA hoops has an illegitimate feel to it. And has for some time.

[Not long ago, someone equated Syracuse to Koko B. Ware. That was a brilliant observation to the macro level of where Syracuse is ranked and which opponents they can beat. As far as the micro level of how an individual game plays out, particularly in the Dome, they're Hulk Hogan - a lazy, predictable, formulaic show.]
Our fan base needs to retire.

Wait…pro wrestling is fake??

I actually understand the Hulk Hogan boring, predictable same formula part ... but then you lost me when it came to Syracuse.

As an aside, my father and I were not huge Hogan fans around 1987 because it was largely always the same over and over- but in November 1987 we went to the Montreal Forum (standing room only tickets) to watch Hulk Hogan vs One Man Gang. Match went as you said - but the crowd went absolutely bonkers as he pulled out the victory -- like nothing I had ever seen at any sports event before that. It was quite captivating despite being predictable.

I actually understand the Hulk Hogan boring, predictable same formula part ... but then you lost me when it came to Syracuse.

As an aside, my father and I were not huge Hogan fans around 1987 because it was largely always the same over and over- but in November 1987 we went to the Montreal Forum (standing room only tickets) to watch Hulk Hogan vs One Man Gang. Match went as you said - but the crowd went absolutely bonkers as he pulled out the victory -- like nothing I had ever seen at any sports event before that. It was quite captivating despite being predictable.
I’m not quite sure what the hell I just read!

Whatcha gonna do, when the wired out JB runs wild over you?

Say your prayers and eat your vitamins.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom