Syracuse and Louisville Rankings

O.K. I don't get this:

Louisville is ranked in the Top 25. Syracuse is not.

Louisville: 17-7 overall. 8-3 in the ACC

Syracuse: 17-7 overall. 8-3 in the ACC

What is wrong with this picture? Why is L'ville ranked so high and we are not even in the Top 25. Looking at the wins and losses for both teams, it doesn't look that different. Yes, we lost some games we should have won but all in all, things look pretty equal.

Alsacs

I am statboy because I use stats to form opinions
O.K. I don't get this:

Louisville is ranked in the Top 25. Syracuse is not.

Louisville: 17-7 overall. 8-3 in the ACC

Syracuse: 17-7 overall. 8-3 in the ACC

What is wrong with this picture? Why is L'ville ranked so high and we are not even in the Top 25. Looking at the wins and losses for both teams, it doesn't look that different. Yes, we lost some games we should have won but all in all, things look pretty equal.
Louisville losses are to Tennessee, Marquette, Kentucky, Indiana, Pittsburgh North Carolina, Florida State.
They have no Old Dominion, Buffalo, UConn losses.

Sherman20

2018 Iggy Leading Scorer Winner
Louisville losses are to Tennessee, Marquette, Kentucky, Indiana, Pittsburgh North Carolina, Florida State.
They have no Old Dominion, Buffalo, UConn losses.
Come on, Buffalo isn’t a bad loss. Uconn May be better than Pitt. But yes the ODU loss is looking worse and worse.

Alsacs

I am statboy because I use stats to form opinions
Come on, Buffalo isn’t a bad loss. Uconn May be better than Pitt. But yes the ODU loss is looking worse and worse.
Buffalo at home is a game we should win. It’s not a bad loss but it’s a win a top 25 team gets.
I really don’t care about being top 25.
If we can go 5-2 down the stretch a top 4 seed isn’t out of the question for this team.

because we don't look like a top 25 team regardless of the quality wins. When we look like a cohesive unit consistently we will be ranked.
That's not how it works. At this point of the season you are slotted and can only move up in a small range vs others in your range who lose.

jncuse

Living Legend
I will look at it in terms of seeding, not ranking (per the matrix they are a 4 and we are a 9)... and after yesterday it's probably 5 vs 9. So why the difference?

Louisville is 5-6 in Q1 games. 5 Q1 games is good, and only 1 loss outside of Q1. They also have no bad losses. They also have a NET of 15 before yesteday.

Syracuse is 2-3 in Q1 games, and has 4 losses outside of Q1, including 2 bad losses.

It comes down to Louisville having played a much harder schedule, and not having bad losses.

If we win 4 of our last 7 games (including beating Louisville), we will close that gap.

ODU is 20-6 and first in Conference USA. Oregon was 13th when we played them. Buffalo's still ranked. Our worst losses are Georgia Tech and UConn.

and our first four losses were without our point guard. Regardless of what you think of Frank, he's 11-3 with losses to ranked teams: Florida State and Va Tech.

Madbiker

2018 Iggy Winner ACC Reg Ssn Rcd/Most 3 Ptrs Made
Our home losses to bad teams Old Dominion and Ga Tech and neutral loss to a near .500 UConn are going to haunt us on Selection Sunday. The stink of bad losses stick to you like skunk spray.

Madbiker

2018 Iggy Winner ACC Reg Ssn Rcd/Most 3 Ptrs Made
Syracuse ranking:
NCAA Net #48
BPI #35
KenPom #42

Why are we so much lower in the new NCAA net ranking? Where does their criteria differ? Anyone know?

orange79

Internet Sleuth
Staff member
Syracuse ranking:
NCAA Net #48
BPI #35
KenPom #42

Why are we so much lower in the new NCAA net ranking? Where does their criteria differ? Anyone know?
The NCAA has not released their exact algorithm. I assume it won't be long before someone reverse-engineers it.

dollarbill44

All American
Last I checked, losing badly still counts as the same single L as losing a last minute nail-biter or buzzer beater.
It does if you're talking about conference standings, but we're not. We're talking about subjective rankings by coaches and sportswriters.

The NCAA has not released their exact algorithm. I assume it won't be long before someone reverse-engineers it.
All power conference teams with high NET ratings all played at least three or four road games outside the conferences. Two neutral site games is counted as one road game. So this year we only played two OOC road games. Our schedule has deducted 20 points from the start without losing a game.

Last edited:

SWC75

Bored Historian
Looking at their schedule I agree that it's a more impressive 17-7 and 8-3 than ours. They lost to teams currently ranked 1st, 5th, 8th, 10th and 22nd. They have wins over teams ranked 8th, 9th and 11th. Three losses have been in overtime.

Louisville Cardinals Schedule - 2018-19 | ESPN

I was unable to find a summary of injuries they have suffered to compare with ours, (to three point guards). Looking at their stats I see that they have 7 guys who have played in 24 games and two more who have played in 23. None of the guys who played less than that played much when they did play. So we could plain that our injuries affected us more than their affected them but i don't know that that would impact the rankings.

Louisville Cardinals Stats - 2018-19 | ESPN

Fortunately, it doesn't really matter. The team's final rankings will be based on what happens in the remaining 7 games plus the ACC tournament and the rankings won't determine what the committee does.

Top Bottom