Syracuse basketball’s prep for Italy includes new offensive plays, man-to-man experiment | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball’s prep for Italy includes new offensive plays, man-to-man experiment

This is good news.

So JB is showing change that fans have craved just a little of. Not a sea change but atleast a willingness to adapt.
Fans are happy but let’s take a dump on the optimistic news.

Nobody(minus the fans who aren’t really fans) is going to give a chit if we lose every single one of these games by 40. Just like nobody gives a chit how their baseball team does in spring training or how their NFL teams do in preseason.

All that will matter is how the new players/plays/defenses looks.
JB showing he will atleast experiment is a good thing but let’s just pull the passive aggressive bullchit out.

Our program has been the most stagnant and easy to prepare for program the last 10’years but let’s just ignore that.
People complaining about the offense and 100% zone minus press aren’t making complaints up. They have been a problem.
Our offense has been stagnant seeing JB put new plays in is excellent news.
Seeing JB realize to atleast have the m2m in his back pocket he needs to teach it and is actually doing that is good news.

So JB is showing change that fans have craved just a little of. Not a sea change but atleast a willingness to adapt.

Nobody(minus the fans who aren’t really fans) is going to give a chit if we lose every single one of these games by 40. Just like nobody gives a chit how their baseball team does in spring training or how their NFL teams do in preseason.

JB showing he will atleast experiment is a good thing but let’s just pull the passive aggressive bullchit out.

Our program has been the most stagnant and easy to prepare for program the last 10’years but let’s just ignore that.
People complaining about the offense and 100% zone minus press aren’t making complaints up. They have been a problem.
Seeing JB realize to atleast have the m2m in his back pocket he needs to teach it and is actually doing that is good news.

Whenever I see anybody complain about plays, I tune it out. The offense was scaled back to the limitations of the players these past several years.

Installing a few more offensive plays wouldn't have magically alleviated what was ailing -- the "problem" wasn't the offense, that was a symptom of the actual problems... and there were several [i.e., lack of true lead guard, no inside game to create balance / floor spacing, subpar passing, inability to create anything off of the dribble, all of which made us one-dimensional].

Last edited:
I guarantee fans will panic when we lose in Italy. You will get the posts from the usual suspects saying we will have our first losing season is some 50 years.
Literally 50 years. This is a key year. We’ve had 49 straight, which is amazing. I believe the all time record is 54 years by UCLA.

We will try m2m...

we'll get beat by an Italian Select team made up of 25-30 year olds who have been playing together for years...

our fan base will panic...

and we will never speak of m2m ever again.

The way it should be

The most stagnant and easy to prepare for? That must be why coaches consistently talk, to this day, about how hard it is to prepare for the zone and why it gives offenses so much trouble, yes? I mean, I'd agree exclusive zone is a problem if stats backed that up, but I do not think they do. Look at years outside of sanctions, or years with our 'typical' talent level, and point to exclusive zone being our downfall.

I'll agree about the offense, to a degree Personnel has been a bigger problem in recent years than strategy.

The most stagnant and easy to prepare for? That must be why coaches consistently talk, to this day, about how hard it is to prepare for the zone and why it gives offenses so much trouble, yes? I mean, I'd agree exclusive zone is a problem if stats backed that up, but I do not think they do. Look at years outside of sanctions, or years with our 'typical' talent level, and point to exclusive zone being our downfall.

I'll agree about the offense, to a degree Personnel has been a bigger problem in recent years than strategy.
Conference opponents know what to prepare for.
They play against us in 2016 it’s the same as it is in 2019.

JB’s defense works. Nobody in their right mind would question it in now but we don’t change during games even when opponents are doing well.

The constant calls have been be a 95% zone team not 100%. If the opponent doesn’t have to worry about switch at all that makes us even easier to prepare for.

That is the point.

The constant calls have been be a 95% zone team not 100%. If the opponent doesn’t have to worry about switch at all that makes us even easier to prepare for.

Right. Because those teams wouldn’t know what to do if went man to man for 2 minutes.

Right. Because those teams wouldn’t know what to do if went man to man for 2 minutes.

Yeah because teams don’t get confused when you do something different.

JB was an assistant to K for USA basketball.
USA played man to man defense the entire game.
JB had spent the weeks in Las Vegas teaching the team the zone.
They used it on the last possession of the game. Spain was completely unprepared.
USA blocked 2 shots and won.

JB is showing the same intelligence here. Teaching the team the man to man defense. Just so he can have it in his back pocket.

Yeah because teams don’t get confused when you do something different.

Why would any team get confused playing against a man to man defense? That’s absurd.

10 years? We were in the FF in 2013 dude.
You are annoying and can’t figure things out. It’s a waste of energy dealing with you. I had a post prepared above but I don’t want to get frustrated dealing with you.
You aren’t worth it.
Our offense cost us the 2013 title. That is all I will say. The talent we had on that roster should have had a better offense.

You are annoying and can’t figure things out. It’s a waste of energy dealing with you. I had a post prepared above but I don’t want to get frustrated dealing with you.
You aren’t worth it.
Our offense cost us the 2013 title. That is all I will say. The talent we had on that roster should have had a better offense.

I find you annoying and unable to comprehend very simple concepts. That's why you respond with this stuff instead of reasonable thoughts. You cry and throw a temper tantrum when you get challenged. You throw out stuff that is not even remotely true, like our program has been stagnant for 10 years. We had the #1 team in the nation 10 years ago, and again in 2012. FF team in 2013. Get your facts straight.

I find you annoying and unable to comprehend very simple concepts. That's why you respond with this stuff instead of reasonable thoughts. You cry and throw a temper tantrum when you get challenged. You throw out stuff that is not even remotely true, like our program has been stagnant for 10 years. We had the #1 team in the nation 10 years ago, and again in 2012. FF team in 2013. Get your facts straight.
Lol you are awesome. Temper tantrums? You can’t figure out points.
It’s called being frustrated by a fanboy.
You want to argue but don’t know how to do it well. It’s so frustrating dealing with people like that. You can’t put any thought into what is being said and want to fight everything to the 100% literal degree. Use your head and try to decipher what is being said.

My god.

Lol you are awesome. Temper tantrums? You can’t figure out points.
It’s called being frustrated by a fanboy.
You want to argue but don’t know how to do it well. It’s so frustrating dealing with people like that. You can’t put any thought into what is being said and want to fight everything to the 100% literal degree. Use your head and try to decipher what is being said.

My god.

Do you think you argue well? You can't even answer simple questions to points you're struggling to make. So back to my point...list the conference games you think we'd have won playing 2 minutes of man to man defense. Should be easy for you. Convince us that 5% of m2m would have mattered.