Syracuse Basketball | Who Is...The "GOAT"? | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Basketball | Who Is...The "GOAT"?

I hate to be "that guy"...

but there's nobody in the video after 2003.

We all see it...

We all see it...
Eh, I don't know if that's how I'd interpret it.

Melo was the greatest one and done, with the greatest single season result.

You get maybe one great year out of a player now, if that. They just can't accumulate legacy like the others BC (before Carmelo), and they can't really match what Melo did.

Take MCW - if he plays his ROY NBA season here and has another deep tourney run, would we think about him as a GOAT candidate? I don't think that's crazy.

To me, it is between Pearl and Coleman. Pearl changed the dynamics on the program and put SU on the map. He could also take down a team by himself. He was the most dominating player I have ever seen put on an SU uniform. Coleman was so damn talented and could change a game, both offensively. Tremendous basketball player. There was just something about Pearl. Havent seen anything like him since.

Eh, I don't know if that's how I'd interpret it.

Melo was the greatest one and done, with the greatest single season result.

You get maybe one great year out of a player now, if that. They just can't accumulate legacy like the others BC (before Carmelo), and they can't really match what Melo did.

Take MCW - if he plays his ROY NBA season here and has another deep tourney run, would we think about him as a GOAT candidate? I don't think that's crazy.
True. Imagine 4 years of Flynn?

It's hard to argue against Pearl or Melo. Pearl put us on the map. Melo got us our only title. I'll go Melo by a hair.
Isn't Bing in the Hall of Fame?

In my time, DC was the best player to play at SU. All time NCAA rebounder, shot blocker, scorer, could lead the break.
Maybe it’s quantity (4 years) over Melo’s 1, but it’s DC for me.
Then I would go Melo, Pearl, Sherm/JW, Billy O. (Note: I never saw Bing play, so he is not in my list)

To me, it is between Pearl and Coleman. Pearl changed the dynamics on the program and put SU on the map. He could also take down a team by himself. He was the most dominating player I have ever seen put on an SU uniform. Coleman was so damn talented and could change a game, both offensively. Tremendous basketball player. There was just something about Pearl. Havent seen anything like him since.
DC was one of the smartest players at SU also. Sherm and Pearl were up there too.

Not saying that he is even parallel to others stated above but it’s a shame gmacs contribution to the program is always overshadowed by Melo ... deservedly so

Bing is the greatest Syracuse player ever, and it's really hard to make a compelling case for anybody else.

Best Boeheim player ever (and arguably the most underrated player ever) is Billy Owens.
While Melo is one of my faves, and got us our NC, I agree with this. Especially the Billy statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom