Syracuse basketball's rivalry with Georgetown could be over after Saturday | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball's rivalry with Georgetown could be over after Saturday

Georgetown? In 2019?

200w.gif

20 conference games
Holiday tournament counting 4 games as 1.
Colgate
Cornell
Big Ten/ACC challenge
Leaves room for 4 more nonconference games.
One of those 4 should always be a P5/ or former BE rival.

We can afford to alternate the Big Ten game with the additional P5/BE rival.
I get not overscheduling but 5 tomato cans should be enough for season ticket holders if they are going to get 10 ACC games and 1 Big Ten/Nova/Gtown/Johnnies/P5 nonconference game each year.

I hate this 20 game conference schedule. Hate. The ACC should only do this if the NCAA increases the total amount of games CBB teams can play by at least 2, which they should absolutely do. I’m with JB. I’d rather be playing two of UConn, Gtown, St Johns and Nova every year and rotating among them. It ruins our opportunities to play regularly in the major Northeast cities of NYC, DC and Philly every year, which we really need to be doing for recruiting purposes. Not playing the conference tourney every year at MSG or in NYC has def hurt us with recruiting and it could get worse. Playing the Big East tourney at MSG was a huge branding and recruiting advantage for us, which we no longer have. We still need to be playing in NYC every year and in Philly or DC every year or two.

Last edited:
I hate this 20 game conference schedule. Hate. The ACC should only do this if the NCAA increases the total amount of games CBB teams can play by at least 2, which they should absolutely do. I’m with JB. I’d rather be playing two of UConn, Gtown, St Johns and Nova every year and rotating among them. It ruins our opportunities to play regularly in the major Northeast cities of NYC, DC and Philly every year, which we really need to be doing for recruiting purposes. Not playing the conference tourney every year at MSG or in NYC has def hurt us with recruiting and it could get worse. Playing the Big East tourney at MSG was a huge branding and recruiting advantage for us, which we no longer have. We still need to be playing in NYC every year and in Philly or DC every year or two.
Its been done for the ACCN.
ESPN is using its muscle to get the ACCN on as many TVs as it can so both sides make more money. They want more UNC-BC, Syracuse-Virginia matchups so that they fall on the ACCN and fanbases will want the network. Nobody cares about tomato can games. I wish it was a 28 game conference schedule with 3 nonconference games. Who cares about watching Syracuse-Northeastern I wish all 14 ACC teams came to the Dome every year. You really only need a few OOC slots for rivalry games. All these teams fatten up on tomato cans.

The connection between where we play and how successful we are in recruiting is
greatly overstated.

Last time I checked we don’t play at all in Canada or Philadelphia. We rarely play in DC (Once every two years). We never play in Maryland or Baltimore.

This isn’t like Notre Dame football playing games in Texas or Metro NY to stay relevant in these areas.

We’re on TV thirty times. That’s all the exposure you need.

This idea that you have to play somewhere to recruit well there is a relic of the past.

The connection between where we play and how successful we are in recruiting is
greatly overstated.

Last time I checked we don’t play at all in Canada or Philadelphia. We rarely play in DC (Once every two years). We never play in Maryland or Baltimore.

This isn’t like Notre Dame football playing games in Texas or Metro NY to stay relevant in these areas.

We’re on TV thirty times. That’s all the exposure you need.

This idea that you have to play somewhere to recruit well there is a relic of the past.

yeah, particularly when it comes to NYC. I don't think our recruiting in NYC has been strong in years anyway, pre-dating our exit from the conference and hence the BE Tourney there every year.

god forbid we sacrifice the cornell or colgate rivalries instead
You have to keep the central ny teams. Its a must.

You have to keep the central ny teams. Its a must.

I get the sarcasm.

But:

They do have local fans and attendance is probably greater than it would be for a team of the same caliber.

We do play them in other sports, like Cornell in lacrosse.

It shows some Upstate loyalty.

And they are early season warm ups.

You gotta play somebody.

I get the sarcasm.

But:

They do have local fans and attendance is probably greater than it would be for a team of the same caliber.

You gotta play somebody.
I was being sincere haha. I enjoy seeing Cornell and Colgate every year. I frequent their campuses for hockey and football as well when there is a slow Syracuse home weekend and i need a fix.

We have moved beyond them (UCONN too) even if they keep beating us. This game does more for them and we should not do them any favors. Grew up with the rivalry, loved the rivalry and have moved on from the rivalry. They are in our rear view mirror.

I get the sarcasm.

But:

You gotta play somebody.

Haha.

So more colgate fans would be at the dome, than georgetown fans... Even if you actually believe that ... who draws more total attendance to the dome and eyeballs on TV? Colgate or Georgetown

With that said - I could go without the georgetown series, it just isn't the same, no matter how many throwback videos you show me

Haha.

So more colgate fans would be at the dome, than georgetown fans... Even if you actually believe that ... who draws more total attendance to the dome and eyeballs on TV? Colgate or Georgetown

With that said - I could go without the georgetown series, it just isn't the same, no matter how many throwback videos you show me

Agreed with both points.

The small amount of Cornell and Colgate fans is more than offset by all the SU fans who don’t care about what usually amounts to a scrimmage.

But yeah, every time we play Georgetown the whole TV presentation is about what a big game this used to be. Same with St. John’s, and increasingly UConn.

Villanova is the only old rival we can play where the past is acknowledged but the focus is on the here and now.

Don't get the loyalty angle. What do we owe them?

Buffalo would love to dismantle the Syracuse program if it could.

I think as Buffalo gets consistently better it would be great to build a rivalry with them. In ALL sports.

An in-state rivalry with a good team would be exciting. Especially with a team closer than NYC (St. John's).

Haha.

So your idea is to load up the OOC part of the season with good teams that draw large tv audiences?

I think as Buffalo gets consistently better it would be great to build a rivalry with them. In ALL sports.

An in-state rivalry with a good team would be exciting. Especially with a team closer than NYC (St. John's).

I couldn’t find last year’s numbers, but in 2017 they weren’t even top 100 in attendance. Siena came in 91st at 5,900 fans per game.

Obviously it’s a big enough area to support that program but will it happen? What’s the potential there as far as attendance goes? You can’t have much of a rivalry if one side has no fans.

Also, it would be difficult to get SU fans to take Buffalo seriously beyond seeing them as a mid major that recently has been pretty good. Like, they’d have to explode into like a Gonzaga level program or something to ignite any real passion on the SU-side IMO.

So your idea is to load up the OOC part of the season with good teams that draw large tv audiences?

No I said to do away with georgetown - the series means nothing to me anymore. I prefer colgate and cornell cause those should be 2 wins.

I was disagreeing with your logic but now see i misread it. I thought you were saying colgate and cornell would bring more fans than Gtown, but you meant they'd bring more fans then us playing uncgreensboro ... which is true

Yeah, yeah, yeah...move on...it's 2019...It's the ACC now...find a new rival...blah blah blah.

I know one thing.
I see the words SU v G-town and immediately my blood starts boiling.
I LOAAAAATHE G-town!
And that big goof coach, too!
I don't think about it.
It's an immediate emotional reaction.

And - as has been said a bunch of times...if anybody cares about a money-making showcase at MSG:
An annual Beast of the Northeast event Christmas week at MSG.
SU, G-town, U-Conn and Pitt.
The Orange and Pitt play a game each against G-town and U-Conn.
(You could sub Nova or SJU for Pitt and change the pairings).
It's a winner for the teams, MSG, TV, the $$ and the fans.

I LOOOOAAAAAATHE G-town!

GO ORANGE!

It's sad, but change is good right? Right?
forget the two constants in life line, theres three: "Death, taxes, and (who moved my cheese) Change" and we'd all better get used to it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom