Syracuse Boeheim era NCAA bracket wins (2ND ROUND)... | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Boeheim era NCAA bracket wins (2ND ROUND)...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
The first round wrap up is here.

The second round was honestly the most difficult one to choose. In the early years, SU lost a LOT in the second round. There is an obvious choice, but since it was a loss I'm not including it despite the fact that purely from a basketball perspective it was a better game. So I'll give it an honorable mention. First place in the second round goes to:

2nd Round
March 18, 2000

Syracuse - 52
Kentucky - 50

This was a sloppy game throughout, but the creme rose to the top at just the right time. Sophomore reserve Preston Shumpert came up big in this low scoring game with 12 points. His last two were the most important though. Shumpert was noted as a good shooter, but this SU team was led by seniors Etan Thomas, Ryan Blackwell, and Jason Hart. The team started out the season 19-0 and reached as high as #4 in the polls before slipping to #16 just prior to the tournament. This was the first really competitive team SU had since the 1995-1996 season.

With about 35 seconds left, Shumpert set up in the right corner and drilled deep one to give SU the lead. Kentucky had two chances to tie and missed their opportunity. This tournament is better known for SU blowing a big lead against Michigan State in the Sweet 16, but this game was what got them there.

Honorable Mention
March 19, 1995

Syracuse - 94
Arkansas - 96

This game haunts Syracuse fans to this day. A repeat of the Chris Weber timeout with time running down stole a huge potential upset against the #2 seeded and defending national champ Arkansas Razorbacks. It was the worst moment in Lawrence Moten's storied SU career, and unfortunately, it came at the very end of that career. It's a testament to his amazing time as an Orangemen that this play has become a footnote in what was an incredible four year run at the 'Cuse. John Wallace dumped in 29 on the Razorbacks in what would be a portent of things to come. The Razorbacks went on to the Final, only to lose to UCLA. I included the link to that game under the UK-SU highlights.

Arkansas vs. Syracuse 1995 (NCAA 2nd Round)

What an incredible game. Can't say I remember it, but I'm sure I would have watched it. I was always a big fan of Etan Thomas - Mr. "left handed" shot blocker.

The Arkansas game was clearly a better game from a neutral's perspective. But it was probably the most painful loss I experienced as a Cuse fan.
Same. Thankfully we went on the run with Wallace shortly thereafter. It helped.

We had a rough few losses in that era with the Missouri game sticking out too. The Illinois game was brutal too.

UMass, Missouri, and Arkansas all in overtime. Brutal. All featured weird or controversial plays at or near the end, none of which went our way.

Those Georgia and Kansas wins were extra sweet in 96 as we pulled them out in the end, OT in the Georgia game.

UMass, Missouri, and Arkansas all in overtime. Brutal. All featured weird or controversial plays at or near the end, none of which went our way.

Those Georgia and Kansas wins were extra sweet in 96 as we pulled them out in the end, OT in the Georgia game.
That was a brutal stretch. Mizzou especially, given Autry's work in the second half. Luckily '96 was one for the ages.

Was in Disney eating with the family at a clambake at the Beach Club. They had tables with markers for kids to doodle on the paper tablecloths - our sons were so excited and wrote ‘Go SU’ , ‘ Syracuse rocks’ etc on each and every table. The staff got a huge kick out of it. We were glued to the tv by the bar and were so disheartened at that Arkansas loss. I remember that there was confusion about who even called the TO and Luke Jackson I think being named. Disney wasn’t the ‘Happiest place on earth’ that day.

I think my dad called Luke Jackson every name in the book at first. Then we found out it was Moten who called the timeout. Then he started speculating that Moten must have been on drugs because he made that mistake on the back of the 5 second call versus Providence in the Big East Tournament. Good times.

That is a tough one to pick. Recency bias aside, I would go with 2018 vs Michigan State. Remember that although it was our third tournament game it was a 2nd round game.

Wasn't that game on St. Pat's day? Was living in Cuse then as a 24 year old, Regency Tower. Stormed the court when we went 16-0 v Uconn with the students. Was so stressed during this game I had to turn off the TV and listen on the radio. Kentucky had beat the Bonnie's in double OT the round before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom