Syracuse.com is awful | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse.com is awful

Vorony

2nd String
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but last night Syracuse.com posted the body cam footage from the night of the accident with JB. Not sure how others feel about this, but it just reeks of desperation for more clicks on that garbage site. I get that it was big news in the area at the time, but it's done and over with. Why use the FOI Act to solicit that footage for posting, 3 months after the accident? What's the point of bringing this back up again? And they want $20 a month for their crappy journalism...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but last night Syracuse.com posted the body cam footage from the night of the accident with JB. Not sure how others feel about this, but it just reeks of desperation for more clicks on that garbage site. I get that it was big news in the area at the time, but it's done and over with. Why use the FOI Act to solicit that footage for posting, 3 months after the accident? What's the point of bringing this back up again? And they want $20 a month for their crappy journalism...

I actually like Mike, Donna and Chris and their basketball coverage. I don't pay $20 for it. I just read it on the individual football and basketball sports news apps that they have.

But back to your main point - yes I thought posting that was unnecessary and was just trying to get clicks off a tragedy. I didn't watch it but it doesn't seem like there was anything truly newsworthy in the video and was just published because it was JB.

A fair viewpoint.
But bigger questions may be why police didn't make this readily available and why they blurred out faces from video that occurred on a public thoroughfare.

Not enough people are willing to pay for local news so organizations need to do what they can to stay alive as a business.

Unfortunately had news orgs went to paywalls quickly in the early 2000's this probably would be less of an issue. We call got accustomed to "free" news.

And yet we declined to post a link to this article, and it's a safe bet that probably 85% or our posters were unaware that the article even existed until a few minutes ago.
I saw it posted but did not watch it because I find it disgusting. I figured it wasn't posted here on purpose. To be honest I have such a low opinion of syracuse.com that this didn't move the needle much. I like Donna, Chris and Mike as well.

A fair viewpoint.
But bigger questions may be why police didn't make this readily available and why they blurred out faces from video that occurred on a public thoroughfare.
That's the bigger question? Why would it be made readily available? Do you have an argument, if so I would love to hear it. Or is just the public has a right to know. Have you gotten anything more than that.

I would love to know how many people have signed up when they went premium. I would imagine to fewer clicks. Won't that mean less advertising money ?

just clear your history/cache and the freebies will return for the month.

Not enough people are willing to pay for local news so organizations need to do what they can to stay alive as a business.

Unfortunately had news orgs went to paywalls quickly in the early 2000's this probably would be less of an issue. We call got accustomed to "free" news.
There is no reason to pay for syracuse.com where if you just read this board you can hear the information straight from all of their so called sources.

A fair viewpoint.

I can't even believe body cams fall under freedom of information act. police agencies should just go back to not using to them.

I can't even believe body cams fall under freedom of information act. police agencies should just go back to not using to them.
I wouldn't go that far. I've seen some pretty troubling cam footage. There was no crime here though so I don't understand why you should have access to it.

And yet we declined to post a link to this article, and it's a safe bet that probably 85% of our posters were unaware that the article even existed until a few minutes ago.
So because you guys don’t post a link to an article, you think that nobody else can? This is a fan forum about Syracuse basketball. The article in question references the head coach of the Syracuse basketball team. I could care less about sending clicks over to that site. My point was that I found it disgusting, and felt others here may have had the same viewpoint. Hence why I created a new thread about it. Seems like others agree too.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned that Carmelo Anthony was a great basketball player, or that Jim Boeheim can coach, or that Billy Celuck could get any girl he wanted when he walked into Mullys.

I wish they’d bring their forums back so that a few insincere posters here would go back over there to get their jollies.

I only go there if a big story breaks to read mike or donnas take on it.

I’m guessing it took 3 months for the state to process the FOIA request. If they had access sooner why would they sit on it?

A fair viewpoint.

i can wholeheartedly say i dont understand why anyone would be worried that this wasnt put out in a press release right away and i dont understand why its a big deal that a couple faces were blurred?