Syracuse Draft Watch 2019 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Draft Watch 2019

Melancer46

Living Legend
Figured people might be interested in seeing how things shake out for our draft-eligible prospects regardless of whether or not they ultimately get drafted.

Chris Slayton and Jamal Custis have been drawing strong reviews the past two days at the East-West Shrine Game Practices.

Slayton met with the Philadelphia Eagles after yesterday's practice. I haven't seen any mentions of meetings for Custis yet.

Nice thanks for sharing....sometimes the NFL draft doesn't make sense...Amba doesn't get drafted after the year he had was shocking...I guess the scouts were right however as he hasn't been able to stick with a team nor get any playing time. With that said we all knew the heart and hustle of Zaire, yet he was a late day 3 draft pick.

Alton is shaping up to be our highest drafted player since Chandler Jones...hope he continues to improve this year, like QBs the NFL is desperate for stud edge rushers...

Custis will help himself in camp with his ability to cover on specials.

Yup Custis was really good on ST’s. With his size and straight line speed I can see him sticking with a team as a late round draft pick or have plenty of UDFA options

It is so difficult to make one of the 6 WR spots on the 32 NFL teams. Custis has the measurables, but has failed to produce or stay healthy outside of this year. I thought he would've had an even bigger year.

That being said, he looks the part and did excel on special teams. He will get his chance.

Slayton is an obvious fit in the NFL. Finding big bodies to disrupt in the middle is always difficult. Slayton ahs no character issues, is a warrior in the weight room and has produced admirably on the field (doesn't necessarily show in the stat sheet).

Really pulling for Dungey to get a chance. You can't teach athletic ability and the heart he possesses.

Slayton could go 4th/5th hurt by one of the deepest DL draft classes in years. Let's say 4th round.
Custisis a potential 6th/7th round guy but I see him as an UDF that sticks with a team due to specials.
Guthrie could be our surprise this year and get in at the 6th/7th round. Surprise 6th round pick.
Dungey will most likely be a UDF as he is not your "typical" NFL QB but I think some of the young blood on the offensive side of the NFL will be interested in him and has a real shot of making a team. Can see him being a practice squad guy.
Then we have a handful of UDF guys in Martin, Conway, and Pierce

Slayton could go 4th/5th hurt by one of the deepest DL draft classes in years. Let's say 4th round.
Custisis a potential 6th/7th round guy but I see him as an UDF that sticks with a team due to specials.
Guthrie could be our surprise this year and get in at the 6th/7th round. Surprise 6th round pick.
Dungey will most likely be a UDF as he is not your "typical" NFL QB but I think some of the young blood on the offensive side of the NFL will be interested in him and has a real shot of making a team. Can see him being a practice squad guy.
Then we have a handful of UDF guys in Martin, Conway, and Pierce

That looks about right I think. I could see Dungey sneaking into the end of the draft. I think he'll test and interview well.

"I want my, I want my, I want my ATV!" (MadNY3 will know what this means).

2019 Shrine Game: Day 2 East Practice Notes - The Draft Network

Custis Steals The Show On Offense

There were a handful of standout players from the East roster on Tuesday, but standing tall above them all was Syracuse WR Jamal Custis.

Custis’ bread and butter is his size at 6-foot-5, 220 pounds. He has long arms to match the measurables of the frame, and he knows how to use them well. But on Tuesday, as shown above, he even gave us a look at the kind of down field threat he can be.

As stated before, Custis put his length on display on Tuesday, and this isn’t even showing what was probably his best catch of the day, a long touchdown and a lot of strength required to haul a pass in through pass interference.

Consider Custis’ stock way up.

Figured people might be interested in seeing how things shake out for our draft-eligible prospects regardless of whether or not they ultimately get drafted.

Chris Slayton and Jamal Custis have been drawing strong reviews the past two days at the East-West Shrine Game Practices.

Slayton met with the Philadelphia Eagles after yesterday's practice. I haven't seen any mentions of meetings for Custis yet.
Slayton is a beast and will be playing on Sundays...congrats to him, a young man who worked hard at his craft.

The best upside comparison I'd have of Custis would be Devin Funchess. Similar bodies, not extremely quick, but big frames and can go up and get it if need be.

The best upside comparison I'd have of Custis would be Devin Funchess. Similar bodies, not extremely quick, but big frames and can go up and get it if need be.
Custis is a sub 4.5 40 guy...

Custis is a sub 4.5 40 guy...

I wasn't referencing his straight line speed (which is very good as you note), but more of his quick twitch (Erv Philips had elite quickness).