Syracuse Expands Student-Athlete Co-Licensing Program | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Expands Student-Athlete Co-Licensing Program

Does anyone here know how NFTs work?

How will student-athletes be able to benefit from this?

Would assume that the player gets a cut for everyone of the NFTs that are sold to people

Think of these much like baseball cards etc but all done via the Internet

Also, if they work like other NFTs as the people that bought them, sell them, the original holder (assuming the player) will get a portion of that sale.

Obviously I’m not 100% sure how these will work but gives you a better idea

Does anyone here know how NFTs work?

How will student-athletes be able to benefit from this?

NFTs are serialized assets with custom information that can be tracked in a sort of digital ledger (that is what a Blockchain is at its essence)

As the NFTs get initially sold to the first buyer and then sold on in the marketplace, the athlete featured in the NFT will receive a % of each purchase price.

You know, some people here are so eager to dump all over SU when they feel we’re behind the times or incompetent at something.

Here the school is literally the first in doing something — something that will benefit it’s athletes financially— and there’s been 5 replies in two days.

Just sayin’.

You know, some people here are so eager to dump all over SU when they feel we’re behind the times or incompetent at something.

Here the school is literally the first in doing something — something that will benefit it’s athletes financially— and there’s been 5 replies in two days.

Just sayin’.

I can only speak for myself. I'm too dumb to understand what's going on.

But I'm excited that the the people smarter than me are keeping us ahead of the game.

I can only speak for myself. I'm too dumb to understand what's going on.

But I'm excited that the the people smarter than me are keeping us ahead of the game.
Scooch is absolutely right with his point, but I am similar to you. I'm thrilled that SU is leading the pack here and applaud them for that. I just don't understand the subject enough to comment much further than that.

Just sayin’.

Yep. I remember a thread a few weeks or so ago about school's having NIL education for their student-athletes. Someone posted that Syracuse needs this and it looks bad that they don't. Syracuse was a leader in providing education on the NIL. Unfortunately, SU's brand doesn't lend much to national attention, so we only hear about how much the big boys are doing for their players.

Yep. I remember a thread a few weeks or so ago about school's having NIL education for their student-athletes. Someone posted that Syracuse needs this and it looks bad that they don't. Syracuse was a leader in providing education on the NIL. Unfortunately, SU's brand doesn't lend much to national attention, so we only hear about how much the big boys are doing for their players.

From July 1, 2021...

ACCELERATE is Syracuse University Athletics' official comprehensive Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) educational and empowerment program designed to assist student-athletes in the growth of their personal brand. The program will educate and enable all Orange student-athletes to leverage their name, image and likeness to elevate their personal brand, make a positive impact on their community, and capitalize on earning opportunities from these activities if they so choose.

The ACCELERATE program is designed to provide the necessary educational and implementation tools required to benefit from the modernized and recently updated NCAA Name, Image and Likeness legislation.

People also complain that Syracuse isn’t doing enough for NIL….

Yet we have started a collective right on this board to help players

If people want to do more, we gladly are still accepting donations to the fund!!

It seems as though SU is taking a thoughtful, measured approach, which is necessary for them. SU doesn't have a bunch of boosters/shadow recruiters/bagmen who are suddenly allowed into the sunlight to ply their wares to recruits.
The SEC/Big 10 will be the inevitable winners of this arms race, but they were winning anyway.
Those 2 conferences are the LIV tour and the rest of the schools are the PGA tour.

I have tried to understand NFT’s, I’ve read up on it a bit. I just can’t visualize transactions and asset values using NFTs so it just seems like a scam to me. I hate being so ignorant but I need to see it in action to understand better.

I have tried to understand NFT’s, I’ve read up on it a bit. I just can’t visualize transactions and asset values using NFTs so it just seems like a scam to me. I hate being so ignorant but I need to see it in action to understand better.

Once companies develop projects where NFTs are tied to real-world utility (Tickets, Merch, Exclusive Experiences) you'll see the scam label slowly change.

Imagine there's an NFT auction for Mikel Jones and not only do you get his digital NFT but you get an autographed jersey and a chance to meet him before a home game this season.

That's the kind of stuff that NFT companies who think long-term will do

Would assume that the player gets a cut for everyone of the NFTs that are sold to people

Also, if they work like other NFTs as the people that bought them, sell them, the original holder (assuming the player) will get a portion of that sale.

Actual NFTs are supposed to be unique, like a piece of art. Only one is "the original".

This is all kind of a stupid concept, given that any digital image can be copied (just look them up on Google). The only thing someone buys when they actually pay for an NFT is bragging rights in an online database that it's "theirs".

It would be better to sell tangible physical goods (like actual sports trading cards, jerseys, t-shirts, etc.).

They get a cut and a cut every time the NFT is traded.

Someone will have to explain to me how there were trading cards for their hoops team in the Cuse Unis back in the late 80s. They must have come out after they graduated, but they were great. Still have a couple in my collection of cards.

74988E59-0E78-405B-8167-AE89C43E5892.jpeg

They get a cut and a cut every time the NFT is traded.
Not sure how you buy tokens (probably dollars and not bitcoin), but I think this is a cool concept. Old-school cards were great. But it's a new age and F-Swap is a leader in this space (Real Madrid, etc). You don't have to be an expert in Merkle trees or leafs (block chain tech) to participate. It's an encrypted and shared network to trade digital products. I doubt the app would let you "copy" or print out any of the images without paying for them .. since, like any IP, you need a license to use or trade "player artwork". "Co-licensing" is necessary because SU's IP is traveling with the student's NIL. Great idea and I hope it takes off.

Last edited:
Not sure about how you buy tokens (probably dollars and not bitcoin), but I think this is a cool concept. Old-school cards were great. But it's a new age and F-Swap is a leader in this space (Real Madrid, etc). You don't have to be an expert in Merkle trees or leafs (block chain tech) to participate. It's an encrypted and shared network to trade digital products. I doubt the app would let you "copy" or print out any of the images without paying for them .. since, like any IP, you need a license to use or trade "player artwork". "Co-licensing" is important because SU's IP is being sold along with the student's NIL. Great idea and I hope it takes off.

Most smart NFT companies are allowing for multiple ways of paying. Cryptocurrency if that is your bag (baby) but also a simple credit card transaction.

Not sure how you buy tokens (probably dollars and not bitcoin), but I think this is a cool concept. Old-school cards were great. But it's a new age and F-Swap is a leader in this space (Real Madrid, etc). You don't have to be an expert in Merkle trees or leafs (block chain tech) to participate. It's an encrypted and shared network to trade digital products. I doubt the app would let you "copy" or print out any of the images without paying for them .. since, like any IP, you need a license to use or trade "player artwork". "Co-licensing" is necessary because SU's IP is traveling with the student's NIL. Great idea and I hope it takes off.

Well said.

This is super novel but not likely a crazy money maker unless the plan is to mint NFTs of a certain moment or if the NFTs include access to something else (e.g. a chat forum with the athlete to those who buy it.)

The pure NFT ain’t going to generate much, but they are at least in the game and clearly I afraid to be a first mover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom