Syracuse finishes 5th in Coaches Poll | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse finishes 5th in Coaches Poll

We finally beat the Cards twice this year and they wind up ahead of us in this poll :mad:

SU should be 2nd or 3rd. All the final poll does is reflect the NCAA's.
You gotta give Kansas their due. Ohio State beat us. But Louisville? That hurts!

You gotta give Kansas their due. Ohio State beat us. But Louisville? That hurts!

Kansas lost 7 games and OSU 8. We lost 3. Yes, OSU beat us, but so did ND and Cincy. It was a 1 game deal between us and OSU and they didn't win anymore after beating us.

Kansas lost 7 games and OSU 8. We lost 3. Yes, OSU beat us, but so did ND and Cincy. It was a 1 game deal between us and OSU and they didn't win anymore after beating us.
If we were ranked #2 the nation's reply would be, "If Syracuse is that good, they must have choked."

This can't be true. We were told there was no way OSU would end up ranked ahead of us. No way.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/let-the-buckeyes-cheer-now.23578/

Of course, I am wrong and I am a douche. This is unrighteous justice against a rude offender.

Come at me, Mantonio bro. Tell me how the voting coaches are wrong. Maybe they are, but I said OSU would be ranked ahead of us. You said they wouldn't. Tell me about it.

I am not going to cause an uproar over this

I am fine with the ranking
Yep. That's the way the game is played. As much as some here would like to believe otherwise.

Come at me, Mantonio bro. Tell me how the voting coaches are wrong. Maybe they are, but I said OSU would be ranked ahead of us. You said they wouldn't. Tell me about it.

Uncool to pick on the disadvantaged like that. ;)

I'm sure mantonio's learned his lesson and will no longer make outlandish, unsubstantiated claims.

OSU was favored over us and beat us. Of course they should be ranked higher than us. Then KS beat them.

Yes, those teams had more overall losses than SU but this wasn't the same SU team. This team did not have Fab. Fab was no longer coming back. That changes things.

I'm encouraged they were able to stay that high.

Coast to Coast top 5!!! Another SU first!

Except this poll refelcts how SU is ranked without FAB. If the entire season was played that way, then SU could very easily lost 7 or 8 games. Would SU have been 17 - 1 in the BE? Would they have beaten NCSt, Florida and Stanford? I'm not saying SU would have lost them all, just more that 3 games.

The inverse of this is 1996 when we finished 3rd in the poll (behind Kentucky and UMass) with a record of 29-9. Teams like UConn had a much stronger season but finished below us. But I agree with you, the voters seem lazy when putting together the final poll.

The inverse of this is 1996 when we finished 3rd in the poll (behind Kentucky and UMass) with a record of 29-9. Teams like UConn had a much stronger season but finished below us. But I agree with you, the voters seem lazy when putting together the final poll.

Personally I would have gone

UK
Kansas
Cuse
OSU
L'ville

Why shouldn't it? It's the single most important portion of the college basketball season - would you disagree?

Or is the tournament's only significance and purpose determining the national champion, and the rest should be ignored? In that case they should just use the final poll before the tournament began, then bump up the national champion to #1.

I wanted to "like this post". because I like your viewpoint but I dont like
what the poll says.

Why shouldn't it? It's the single most important portion of the college basketball season - would you disagree?

Or is the tournament's only significance and purpose determining the national champion, and the rest should be ignored? In that case they should just use the final poll before the tournament began, then bump up the national champion to #1.

The tournament is one thing, a poll is something else. The tourney is a one and done deal whereas the polls are suppose to reflect a body of work. Lets go to the extreme, if VCU had won it all last year, should they have been ranked #1 in the final poll? IMO, no. Of course ANYONE would rather win the tourney than be ranked #1, but if they are going to have a poll after the tourney, voters shouldn't change their mindset. During the year they vote based on the full body of work.

Lets go to the extreme, if VCU had won it all last year, should they have been ranked #1 in the final poll? IMO, no. quote]

Why not? Not busting your balls but if they won the title they should have been ranked #1. Hell Butler was #2 at the end of last year.