Syracuse football among the worst brands, according to recruits | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football among the worst brands, according to recruits

That's on top of this study from last week. Not a great month.

Honestly can't imagine too many P5 schools have been consistently as bad as us since the turn of the century.

Alabama and texas arent in the top 15

Dumb article.

It’s all about winning and we haven’t much. The end.

Side note: this has nothing to do with logos or uni’s. Substitute “what recruits think about the school” with “brand” ... the two get conflated, but they are not the same thing.

Though, I suspect winning would do wonders for both.

Interesting that 18% of the 65 programs are private universities and 42% of them are in the bottom 25% of the rankings. You can't deny that private universities have a heavier lift for football success. Agreed, winning has a strong correlation but being a private university trying to field a competitive program would seem to be part of the challenge.

Private universities:
5. USC
7. Miami
9. Stanford
15. Notre Dame
26. TCU
44. Duke
45. Northwestern
53. Baylor
55. Wake Forest
59. Vanderbilt
61. Syracuse
64. Boston College

Interesting that 18% of the 65 programs are private universities and 42% of them are in the bottom 25% of the rankings. You can't deny that private universities have a heavier lift for football success. Agreed, winning has a strong correlation but being a private university trying to field a competitive program would seem to be part of the challenge.

Private universities:
5. USC
7. Miami
9. Stanford
15. Notre Dame
26. TCU
44. Duke
45. Northwestern
53. Baylor
55. Wake Forest
59. Vanderbilt
61. Syracuse
64. Boston College
BC last??

Odd considering they've always been a NFL pipeline and we've sent just a punter since the question pool was in the 7th grade...

Reactions: CIL
Branding goes far beyond just winning games on the field. It is a big part of it but there is more to building a brand, especially locally with your fan base.. If the people in your backyard don't care about your program, nobody else around the country will. Start at home and fix the problems there! Everyone knows the issues with the program that need to be addressed. They have been talked about a million times on this board alone. I want to talk about a couple once again though. They need to fix the Dome or tear it down and build a new one like NOW. Stop kicking the can down the road on this and do something. Also, begin marketing the "Football Dome Experience" as a party atmosphere when you go to a game it is more than a game and a fun time from the moment you leave the house till the moment you go home. That's how you start to grow attendance consistently and market your brand (program) to children who will then in turn become life long fans. Market the the experience of going to a game and not the product on the field until you have a good product. Outside the Dome before EVERY GAME (especially in Sep and Oct) it should look like the state fair midway. Food trucks everywhere, games for kids, former players signing autographs, my god have a dunk tank where for $1 you can throw a ball and try and dunk a former player, give all the money raised to Charity. The tickets for an SU football game can't get any cheaper and people still don't come these days. Get parents to bring their daughters and son's at a young age to the Dome (even if they don't like football) to get them thinking SU football is a fun time no matter what happens at the game because before the game I am gonna eat all the fun bad food like I do at the fair for dirt cheap prices, play in a bounce house, get autographs and maybe see a radio broadcast, play some kids games for cheap SU prizes. For the price of a ticket not only can I take my kids to a football game but for 2 or 3 hours before the game they are gonna have a blast outside the Dome. That's how you build a brand and build up a fanbase. Then maybe have an area for "adults" where you have some wine tastings and wine slushies being sold so for the 21-50 crowd they have a place to go party before the game and have a good time.

Then when it comes to the on the field stuff, stop scheduling over your head (which it looks like they have begun which they get KUDOS for. No more LSU's or thoughts of Wisconsin.) Go cupcake city for years to come as much as possible. Get to bowl games consistently, even if its a bowl game played in Detroit on a Tuesday night that nobody cares about. Ya gotta start somewhere. And you start to build a brand to "today's recruits" and the "younger generation."

Now you have begun to build a brand. Off the field with your community who will associate going to SU football games as "FUN" even if the games boring and the team loses because the "football game experience" from the time they left their house to the time they went home" is FUN and the actual game is a small part of it because what you are giving the fans BEFORE the game in the Quad and such. This won't happen overnight but you have to start somewhere.

And I know some here will hate my post and say SU already has tradition and a brand....well they do with middle aged men and men entering their AARP years, but NOT with 18 year old recruits. Those recruits don't care about Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little. They care about the guys who they played on video games when they were growing up. Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, and Emmit Smith..etc. In the eyes of those kids, SU has no tradition. The world has changed, SU has to change with it and not be stuck in their old ways.

Everything went downhill when we pulled those marketing spots off the top of the taxis in NYC.
For such a bad brand we sure do sell some gear

Branding goes far beyond just winning games on the field. It is a big part of it but there is more to building a brand, especially locally with your fan base.. If the people in your backyard don't care about your program, nobody else around the country will. Start at home and fix the problems there! Everyone knows the issues with the program that need to be addressed. They have been talked about a million times on this board alone. I want to talk about a couple once again though. They need to fix the Dome or tear it down and build a new one like NOW. Stop kicking the can down the road on this and do something. Also, begin marketing the "Football Dome Experience" as a party atmosphere when you go to a game it is more than a game and a fun time from the moment you leave the house till the moment you go home. That's how you start to grow attendance consistently and market your brand (program) to children who will then in turn become life long fans. Market the the experience of going to a game and not the product on the field until you have a good product. Outside the Dome before EVERY GAME (especially in Sep and Oct) it should look like the state fair midway. Food trucks everywhere, games for kids, former players signing autographs, my god have a dunk tank where for $1 you can throw a ball and try and dunk a former player, give all the money raised to Charity. The tickets for an SU football game can't get any cheaper and people still don't come these days. Get parents to bring their daughters and son's at a young age to the Dome (even if they don't like football) to get them thinking SU football is a fun time no matter what happens at the game because before the game I am gonna eat all the fun bad food like I do at the fair for dirt cheap prices, play in a bounce house, get autographs and maybe see a radio broadcast, play some kids games for cheap SU prizes. For the price of a ticket not only can I take my kids to a football game but for 2 or 3 hours before the game they are gonna have a blast outside the Dome. That's how you build a brand and build up a fanbase. Then maybe have an area for "adults" where you have some wine tastings and wine slushies being sold so for the 21-50 crowd they have a place to go party before the game and have a good time.

Then when it comes to the on the field stuff, stop scheduling over your head (which it looks like they have begun which they get KUDOS for. No more LSU's or thoughts of Wisconsin.) Go cupcake city for years to come as much as possible. Get to bowl games consistently, even if its a bowl game played in Detroit on a Tuesday night that nobody cares about. Ya gotta start somewhere. And you start to build a brand to "today's recruits" and the "younger generation."

Now you have begun to build a brand. Off the field with your community who will associate going to SU football games as "FUN" even if the games boring and the team loses because the "football game experience" from the time they left their house to the time they went home" is FUN and the actual game is a small part of it because what you are giving the fans BEFORE the game in the Quad and such. This won't happen overnight but you have to start somewhere.

And I know some here will hate my post and say SU already has tradition and a brand...well they do with middle aged men and men entering their AARP years, but NOT with 18 year old recruits. Those recruits don't care about Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little. They care about the guys who they played on video games when they were growing up. Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, and Emmit Smith..etc. In the eyes of those kids, SU has no tradition. The world has changed, SU has to change with it and not be stuck in their old ways.

Being in the Brand business, 1) I would not give much of a look at all at this study, and 2) if your immediate answer to fixing the Brand being spend significant nine figures to fix the Dome, not sure you can fully appreciate the realities of Brand management. Respectfully said.

Very surprised to see Notre Dame 15th. I mean, they have their own network. How are they possibly behind say Michigan State?
Yeah it’s a dumb ranking compiled by answers from a bunch of dumb kids.

Being in the Brand business, 1) I would not give much of a look at all at this study, and 2) if your immediate answer to fixing the Brand being spend significant nine figures to fix the Dome, not sure you can fully appreciate the realities of Brand management. Respectfully said.
I get what your saying but fixing/building a new Dome not only helps solve a big problem for the football program it also helps out every other sports program moving forward. It's the elephant in the room these days that isn't getting talked about enough. The current facility is outdated and just bad.

In regards to brand I agree maybe its not the #1 thing to fix, but its on the list if you want to fix the SU football brand long-term

Two Syracuse.com articles in a week slamming our football program and community from our friends at Syracuse.com. No way in earth I believe that we are 61st out of 65 in the eyes of recruits. Another one of those subjective articles that could be spun many ways. I wish I had a subscription so I could cancel it.

My bad should be in thread below.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom