Syracuse football freshman RB Akeem Dixon leaves program for personal reasons | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football freshman RB Akeem Dixon leaves program for personal reasons

Sorry to see this happen especially anytime it is for personal reasons. Good luck to Akeem and maybe we will see him playing for FAU, FIU or Georgia State one day.

No idea what is behind this...hopefully not a needy family member or girlfriend.

Thats miserable news.

My first thought was he couldn't deal with the homesickness. Just a gut reaction. And fully understandable.

That’s the downside of having to fill so much of our recruiting class with guys 1300 miles away.

Shame, that first month is brutal for FR. Even tougher when you're on campus before other students are around.

Typically if you can get them through 1st semester, they'll acclimate well.

From a sheer numbers standpoint, I still don't like our depth at RB. That's mainly bc Abdul has to sit. Interested to see who rises to the 3rd spot from Pierre & Howard.

That’s the downside of having to fill so much of our recruiting class with guys 1300 miles away.

This was my first thought as well. Recruiting the geography is helpful with the stuff kids need sometimes which is 5 hour drive home, parents at games, etc. I still think the team needs someone who can recruit New England. This is a one off for sure but I still think it’s helpful to be relevant in your backyard recruiting wise.

I’m to lazy to look but I bet we depend more on kids outside a five hour drive than most P5 teams to fill our recruiting class with decent talent.

I never said they weren’t. I said that’s the problem when a kid gets homesick at SU and they’re from across the country. They can’t jump in a car and head home or have someone from home drive up.

I never said they weren’t. I said that’s the problem when a kid gets homesick at SU and they’re from across the country. They can’t jump in a car and head home or have someone from home drive up.

I was homesick my first semester and was only a little over an hour away. Ironic thing is I looked into transferring to a school much further away. Then I met a girl, and the rest, as they say, is history.

It happens everywhere. It seems to suck a bit more at SU because of the lack, or perceived lack of depth.

I was homesick my first semester and was only a little over an hour away. Ironic thing is I looked into transferring to a school much further away. Then I met a girl, and the rest, as they say, is history.

It happens everywhere. It seems to suck a bit more at SU because of the lack, or perceived lack of depth.

Everyone is different. I went from NJ to CA to MT at a young age and never looked back.

Is this something that could be resolved after a few weeks at home to recalibrate and then be back for start of camp or fall semester or has this ship sailed? Jordan would sure be nice now.

Is this something that could be resolved after a few weeks at home to recalibrate and then be back for start of camp or fall semester or has this ship sailed? Jordan would sure be nice now.
Evidently not.

And Jordan isn't making it to campus.

Evidently not.

And Jordan isn't making it to campus.

Well that stinks and was just mentioning Jordan because he was one of my favorite recruits but has seemed like he's been a definite no for quite some time.

Do we actually know it was homesickness or is that just the guess? Either way best of luck to the young man, life moves on.

HS B-ball guys travel a lot through AAU, and might get used to being away, also a lot go away to prep schools. Not as frequent with HS football, might be tougher for them to leave home

HS B-ball guys travel a lot through AAU, and might get used to being away, also a lot go away to prep schools. Not as frequent with HS football, might be tougher for them to leave home
The football kids travel a lot for camps and 7v7 competitions.

Everyone is different. I went from NJ to CA to MT at a young age and never looked back.

Exactly I tried to get as far away from home as I could when I went to college, to each their own!