Syracuse football gets verbal commitment from three-star wide receiver Steve Ishmael | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football gets verbal commitment from three-star wide receiver Steve Ishmael

bnoro said:
that article was definitely supposed to be held until tomorrow when he announced for us. Syracuse.com ran it today for the page views. Disgusting to ruin a kid's big moment.

I dunno. Eric White just tweeted about big news today...

that article was definitely supposed to be held until tomorrow when he announced for us. Syracuse.com ran it today for the page views. Disgusting to ruin a kid's big moment.
While I agree with the sentiment, why hold an article on a verbal until tomorrow? The story then will be which kids actually sign.

Reading it, there are zero details about sources though - did Carlson interview him directly? Did news leak from inside the team? Doesn't say one way or the other. If Ishmael spilled it, then I'm okay with the article (unless he also asked for it not to be published until he signs). Otherwise, bnoro is correct.

This kid has the ability to be great. Our biggest commit of the year, and arguably our best WR recruit in 15 years.

Man are we adding some nice looking weapons on the outside with this class. It's pretty clear that GMc saw what he had in the cupboard and decided to go stock up.

This kid has the ability to be great. Our biggest commit of the year, and arguably our best WR recruit in 15 years.
I'm very excited about Ishmael.

But what makes you think he stands out from Williams, Cooper, Adly and Custis?

Honest question, I'm excited that you have this opinion.

Lobdell was still a bigger 'recruit' in name. Before that was Rice Moss. This is a great get but he's along way off from seeing the field. As of tomorrow, he is scout team fodder until he proves otherwise.

Mike Williams great?

Lobdell was still a bigger 'recruit' in name. Before that was Rice Moss. This is a great get but he's along way off from seeing the field. As of tomorrow, he is scout team fodder until he proves otherwise.
Wow...labeling any recruit scout team fodder is ridiculous. Particularly one of the more sought after WR recruits in the country.

I'm very excited about Ishmael.

But what makes you think he stands out from Williams, Cooper, Adly and Custis?

Honest question, I'm excited that you have this opinion.

He plays against some of the best competition across the country and dominates. He was given a heavy look by many of the SEC schools. He can break press coverage better than any SU recruit I've ever seen. And he has the Mike Williams' "go up and get it" ability. That's why IMO.

Steve Ishmael will play next year. Staff is drooling over this kid.

Lobdell had more "stars". Another case where the star system is flawed. Ishmael had better offers.

So was Johnnie Morant. But I have a feeling that Ishmael will contribute earlier than either Morant or Lobdell, based on his film. Those two were highly rated because they had tremendous size and athleticism but they really didn't have great technique or hands early on. Ishmael looks more ready to contribute right away despite not having the same physical strengths that those two did.

Wow...labeling any recruit scout team fodder is ridiculous. Particularly one of the more sought after WR recruits in the country.
It's not ridiculous. They are all scout team fodder when they get here until they prove otherwise. Tape, evaluations, and coach speak don't mean much come August. It's all about can you perform at a D1 level? I'm not trying to knock the recruit, I wouldn't knock any recruit but don't put the horse before the cart is all I'm saying. I hope he lives up to the billing but I've seen enough guys with amazing tapes, good offer sheets, and other intangibles that ended up transferring in a year or two. Proof is in the pudding, or on the field as it is in this case.

He plays against some of the best competition across the country and dominates. He was given a heavy look by many of the SEC schools. He can break press coverage better than any SU recruit I've ever seen. And he has the Mike Williams' "go up and get it" ability. That's why IMO.

Steve Ishmael will play next year. Staff is drooling over this kid.

Lobdell had more "stars". Another case where the star system is flawed. Ishmael had better offers.

Lobdell was going to Miami if I remember right, Miami was a couple years removed from a national championship at the time. Lobdell also had an offer from USC according to press clipping I found, pretty sure that was during the Carrol dynasty too. So unless Ishmael has offers from Bama I find it hard to believe they were better offers.

Last edited:
Rice Moss IIRC was a relative of Randy Moss but he was a 2 star recruit. He was a complementary receiver thrust into the lead role. Realistically he would be 3rd string next season.