Syracuse football projected depth chart (defense): who will seize 7 starting jobs on defense? | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football projected depth chart (defense): who will seize 7 starting jobs on defense?

Yeah and filling so many spots with new starters in the first year of a new system will be tough.
I think there’s still time for players like our DE’s, LB’s and DL to add more quality weight. But yeah I’m very worried about linebacker and the line...again.

This is weight lifting time for the players, correct? So no matter who was/is DC it really doesn't matter for the current guys until they start implementing the D in the spring.

I'd like to see Jones get stronger as he has some nice potential and Cantin and Richard seem to be downhill guys. Saw a glimpse of Kpogba and saw some potential. Hope they are hungry and ready to go because they are going to be challenged and again don't be surprised to see a true freshmen LB from NC be a starter. Excited to see the young LB's get their chance and let's see what they have to offer.

Agreed.
Now is when players show the proper dedication to S&C...

But seriously, unless there’s a stud D recruit we miss out on due to them not wanting to commit without knowing who the guy is, it’s not going to matter at the moment.

That said - Kinsler verballed the day that Ward got canned, so clearly he was OK with not having any info on who his DC might be.

Our linebacker ceiling’s as high as it’s been in a decade. We just need these guys to hit the gym like wolves

They really need to develop these guys and stop this endless loop of tranfers and JC's. Now we will see how well they recruited and develop HS LB's.

They really need to develop these guys and stop this endless loop of tranfers and JC's. Now we will see how well they recruited and develop HS LB's.
Well, we have our young core now recruited from solid HS pedigrees with the intangibles past LB’s lacked. So lets see if we can get them ACC sized and up to speed quickly enough.

I think we have more experience returning than the headline let's on. On the line Williams, Black , Harper, and Jonathan are all seasoned upperclassmen that have seen significant playing time. Unclear where Richards will play but he's a guy we have to get on the field way more. Tuazama also flashed this year, and there's been some buzz about Linton and Rondi.
At LB Jones is the real deal and I think we see a big jump from him this year. Wallace has also seen significant time and has developed steadily, I think he'll prove to be a solid contributor. Kpogba and Cantin-Arku have loads of potential and will take off with more reps. I also won't be surprised to see Thompson or Labrosse or even Kinsler in a significant role next year.
More than anything we're going to be young with lots of upside. The right hire at DC is going to be key. I think we'll take our lumps but I also think we're bound to see alot of improvement.

I believe in the game he was dismissed from during the play he hit the quarterback, Mr. Tuazama displayed what to my untrained eye was extraordinary closing speed. I cannot wait to see what he does this year. With a little more girth, the sky is the limit.

I believe in the game he was dismissed from during the play he hit the quarterback, Mr. Tuazama displayed what to my untrained eye was extraordinary closing speed. I cannot wait to see what he does this year. With a little more girth, the sky is the limit.
Maybe another Ron Thompson

Tuazama is a man-child and he will be a force to be reckoned with

Everyone wanted Mikel Jones out of high school, we didn't think we had a shot, and he came and played linebacker freshman year. He's not a slouch

Trill Williams, Melifinwu, Coley, and Cisco in the secondary can get it done

The defensive unit can be good if we get the right defensive coordinator

Was looking at the ASU roster. They have a couple of linebackers who are almost as big as our DE's last year. Our LB's don't necessarily have to be as big as them, but are going to have to put on some weight. In terms of size, bet we're looking for more 3-4 Defense sized DE's and LB's. Can see Richards or Cantin-Arku starting at one of the LB spots to give us a physical presence there.

Will be interesting to see the new weights listed when the roster is updated.

Last edited:
Was looking at the ASU roster. They have a couple of linebackers who are almost as big as our DE's last year. Our LB's don't necessarily have to be as big as them, but are going to have to put on some weight. In terms of size, bet we're looking for more 3-4 Defense sized DE's and LB's. Can see Richards or Cantin-Arku starting at one of the LB spots to give us a physical presence there.
Yes exactly. The OLB's are up on the LOS a lot. They have to be able to take on TE's and be physical enough against pulling guards on counter and power plays. Those two will get serious looks at those spots. Look for a guy like Linton to come in on 3 downs pass play situations. ASU has a guy name Tyler Johnson. I can see Linton in that role.

Last edited:
2020 Defense
Josh Black, DE Sr

Bear Williams, NG Sr

Kingsley Jonathan, DE Sr

Tyrell Richards, LB Jr

Mikel Jones, LB So

Juan Wallace, LB Jr

Trill Williams, S Jr

Andre Cisco, S Jr

Eric Coley, S Jr

Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB Jr

Allen Stritzinger, CB Sr

2020 Defense
Josh Black, DE Sr

Bear Williams, NG Sr

Kingsley Jonathan, DE Sr

Tyrell Richards, LB Jr

Mikel Jones, LB So

Juan Wallace, LB Jr

Trill Williams, S Jr

Andre Cisco, S Jr

Eric Coley, S Jr

Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB Jr

Allen Stritzinger, CB Sr
It could very well be this. I think Trill is perfect for S/LB position I just dont know how valuable he is as a cover corner. I dont know what other CB's with step up. I hope Stritz is ready. He has experience in ACC games and I like that about him.

I think some of our de recruits players may shift to linebacker (linton, kensler, gelbron (sp) Richards) along with Cantu, Jones, wallace. This will give us speed, size and depth at linebacker and allow them to attack the line of scrimmage and fill gaps. With Jonathan, black, Williams and players that redshirted at dt we will have depth for a three man front with rotation. We can also go to the transfer portal for nt if necessary.
I think trill and iffy are the corners. Safety is Cisco, coley with trotter or Clarke. There are a number of options at the safety position. There is also carter or labrose.
Just my two cents.