Syracuse Going to Maui in 2013 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Going to Maui in 2013

SkanSU

Starter
2. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said there have been discussions with the Maui Invitational about the 2013 field to ensure the Orange and Maryland were in opposite brackets in case both schools are in the ACC at the time. The Orange still don’t know when it will be released by the Big East to go to the ACC (Big East is holding firm on the 27 month exit timeline. Syracuse would like to go as early as possible). Boeheim said two teams from a conference can be in the same tournament. The larger conferences get, the harder it will be to keep tournaments from taking two schools.

From Andy Katz

2. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said there have been discussions with the Maui Invitational about the 2013 field to ensure the Orange and Maryland were in opposite brackets in case both schools are in the ACC at the time. The Orange still don’t know when it will be released by the Big East to go to the ACC (Big East is holding firm on the 27 month exit timeline. Syracuse would like to go as early as possible). Boeheim said two teams from a conference can be in the same tournament. The larger conferences get, the harder it will be to keep tournaments from taking two schools.

From Andy Katz

Julie mentioned that they were participating in Maui a few months ago in an interview. I have a feeling that this will be JB's final year, with one last trip out to Hawaii with the team. Having Gary Williams in the opposite bracket makes it sound to me like he and Gary have an arrangement where maybe it will be the last season for both of them, while they fit in some golf between games.

Julie mentioned that they were participating in Maui a few months ago in an interview. I have a feeling that this will be JB's final year, with one last trip out to Hawaii with the team. Having Gary Williams in the opposite bracket makes it sound to me like he and Gary have an arrangement where maybe it will be the last season for both of them, while they fit in some golf between games.

Uh, Matt? Gary Williams retired at the end of last season.

From Andy Katz
If this is confirmed, I'm going. Anybody else?

I'll be there and I've been there.

The tourney is in Laheina which has the Island's major small boat harbor. Full of sailboats. Maui also has many golf courses but one of them is especially good for the ego. It was rebuilt to make it easy.

Are tickets on sale yet? My road trip buddy is all excited to go too!

Do they have dates set for that? I doubt I could go, but it'll be nice to dream.

From Andy Katz

Cool--historically, we've done well playing in tournaments in Hawaii.

Cool--historically, we've done well playing in tournaments in Hawaii.

No doubt - we played great in Maui in 1990 and 1998. One low point was the championship game of the Rainbow Classic in 1995-96 when UMass took us behind the woodshed. I remember that game came on at some absurd time like 2 am.

No doubt - we played great in Maui in 1990 and 1998. One low point was the championship game of the Rainbow Classic in 1995-96 when UMass took us behind the woodshed. I remember that game came on at some absurd time like 2 am.

That UMass game was awful, then we followed it up by flying across country to Miami and laying an egg there too. I remember thinking "who the hell put together this schedule?" John Wallace had a couple NASTY dunks in that Miami game that were waved off as offensive fouls.

Also in Maui in '96, Wallace had the original teabag dunk on a kid from Rhode Island (Murphy... can't remember his first name). Then Elimu Nelson came in off the bench and lit it up.

Mason

I think that was the tournament where SU beat Illinois and some kid named Ryan Blackwell.