Syracuse makes US News list of best places to live in USA ... | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse makes US News list of best places to live in USA ...

Boston native, NJ resident. I think this makes a ton of sense. Syracuse is a great town. Great people. Cost of living is reasonable. The culture and nightlife is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was when I was in school at SU 20 years ago. The only thing I cannot speak to is the current state of business and industry but it seems from an untrained eye that the economy is, if not on a full upswing, is still doing far better than it was in the 90s...

That is a drop from last year actually.

When you really crunch the numbers you see that Syracuse ranks way above average in education, health care, crime, commute time, cost of living, etc.

Only thing they are below average in is net migration. If you make net migration the average of all the other scores Syracuse ranks as a top 10 city in the country.

All Cuse needs is a good marketing campaign.

It's a place I've considered retiring to if I am ever able to do that.

If I didn't hate winter so much, I'd still live there. I fully intend on making it my summer home during my retirement years.

I love Central New York so much, I still consider it my nostalgic home even though I've lived in Maryland for 10 years now. But I could simply never move back there due to how soft I've become when it comes to winter weather.

I love Central New York so much, I still consider it my nostalgic home even though I've lived in Maryland for 10 years now. But I could simply never move back there due to how soft I've become when it comes to winter weather.
I moved away simply because I was sick of winter. My wife is from north carolina and has said there is no way she could handle it. One benefit I was aware of but didn't understand the extent was longevity of cars. My wifes car that we got rid of a few years ago was 15 years when we sold it with no significant rust and my wrangler is currently 10 years old. Those would've been rust buckets back home.

I'm the same way. I'd love to go to football and basketball games regularly but can't do the cold anymore.

I'm the same way. I'd love to go to football and basketball games regularly but can't do the cold anymore.

You cant go to a football or basketball game because you cant handle the cold for 1-2 days? Come on... How old are you? 100? where do you live? The equator? Thats the most ridiculous think I have ever heard. Eric said he cant MOVE there... not that he couldnt go to a football or basektball game because of the cold.

Hell the 1st 2 or 3 football games are 80+ usually.

Edit... im an idiot... just noticed "regularly"

my reading comprehension sucks.

Last edited:
0.0 shot I ever move back to the northeast barring financial ruin. Having 12 months of being able to go outside is just far more valuable than a lower mortgage.

You cant go to a football or basketball game because you cant handle the cold for 1-2 days? Come on... How old are you? 100? where do you live? The equator? Thats the most ridiculous think I have ever heard. Eric said he cant MOVE there... not that he couldnt go to a football or basektball game because of the cold.

HA no problem. Yeah I live in the KC area but went back for a football game last year. I don't mind the cold for a game or two, just not all winter. Plus I'm in a wheelchair so travelling back isn't the easiest for me unless I can get a friend or family to go with me.

I moved away simply because I was sick of winter.

Growing up in Syracuse, I literally wouldn't even notice if it was snowing out, because I was just so used to it. Now, living in the DC area, if there is even word of a flurry, I am conditioned to panic. It's just insane.

But the inverse is, I am now way tougher when it comes to traffic, whereas anyone living in Syracuse hyperventilates if they are delayed 5 minutes on 690 due to construction.

I loved this post so much lol. "How old are you? 100?"

My wife wants to retire to Hawaii. I told her as long as they move the Dome there I'm in! Actually we're talking about making the short move back from Binghamton in the next couple of years.

Growing up in Syracuse, I literally wouldn't even notice if it was snowing out, because I was just so used to it. Now, living in the DC area, if there is even word of a flurry, I am conditioned to panic. It's just insane.

But the inverse is, I am now way tougher when it comes to traffic, whereas anyone living in Syracuse hyperventilates if they are delayed 5 minutes on 690 due to construction.
Yeah, but Syracuse knows how to handle snow...unlike around here. I don’t panic with word of a flurry. I just find it highly amusing when others do.

I'd retire in Syracuse in a heartbeat if more of my family still lived in the area. Good cost of living, good grocery stores (yay Wegmans), decent cable tv, good summer weather. So it snows a lot. At least it doesn't usually snow in months where snow doesn't belong (like May and September...unlike the Denver area where I lived for a while).

HAHAHA This is SOOOO true. I loath any traffic that takes me more than 5 minutes to navigate... I drive in Boston and Philly frequently and I get uber flustered. Weather? Meh bring it! lol

Syracuse is a FANTASTIC place to live and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Call me crazy. A funny thing I notice also is that no matter where I travel I find people from or associated with Syracuse. Literally everywhere! I was in Cedar Rapids, IA for twenty minutes and the lady checking me out at Target went to SU. such a small world

I moved to Liverpool when I was 26 and loathed my 15 minute commute. Only lasted one year there before moving back into the city and re-embracing my 5 minute commute.

I've lived in a bunch of places in my life, South Florida for a very extended period of time and Vegas for a few years and a few others mixed in and for me personally I just don't like it in Syracuse. The weather is probably the biggest thing but the lack of things to do and everything closed at dark so it seems just makes it boring.

I don't know how y'all do the weather.. I grew up in Cuse and moved to Long Island when I was 16. Spent 14 years on LI and then moved to Atlanta 4 years ago. I flew back up to Syracuse last January for my grandparents anniversary and let out an audible "what the ****!!!" when I left the airport and into the cold.

It's crazy how quickly your body gets used to the warm southern weather.

Haha. I haven't changed too much. I mock everyone down here in Knoxville about how they overreact to weather and hate the traffic here because ofnhow spoiled I was back home.