Syracuse-Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse-Notre Dame

NDIrish

Walk On
Hey guys, ND fan here, obviously. Just looking to chat a little about the game this Saturday. Im not trying to come on here and be a troll and start all kinds of crap. Honestly, i can't stand a majority of ND fans, and the ones on the boards are even worse. Its unreadable garbage. So if you guys wanna chat, im here, ill give my opinions on strengths, weaknesses, ask for some of yours. If people don't want to, its cool, i'll leave. I spend about 7-8 weeks out of the year on opponent boards, find it much more interesting then the ND ones. i've actually had a lot of fun doing it, even met some people from time to time at home games. I can handle jabs at ND, but not gonna stick around to argue all week, so its up to you. I've done some looking through this board and can tell that ND is not a favorite by a lot of you and understand that. they can be a hard to team to love and an easy one to hate.

Very excited for this game, and from what some of you picked up on, this was scheduled as the shamrock game because they higher ups thought it would be an easy win, looks like they were wrong. Personally, im glad for the surge of Syracuse this year. A lot of the usual tough teams have taken a break from football this year and i think this will be a nice gauge for where ND really is heading into the end of the season.

So with all the out of the way, how are you guys feeling about this game?

Personally, I'm feeling nervous -- but it's fun to feel that a game like this is meaningful again, after two decades of [mostly] futility. That our season has gone so well to an unexpected degree makes this a very important game -- one that could have program-changing ramifications in terms of perception, on the recruiting trail, etc.

But I love that we've put ourselves in a position for this to be an important game on a national scale -- nobody would have guessed that back in August. I hope our kids are sky high to play on Saturday -- can't imagine that they won't be. Need to play much better than we have the past few games to win, IMO.

What's the scoop with Book? Broken ribs seem like a difficult injury to attempt to play through.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, forgot to mention, ill read through other threads as i have time, but i will leave my comments in this threads, so sorry for duplicated conversations, but i just odn't like bouncing all around on your guys stuff.

Give us your honest opinion. Does Book start this week or is Kelly playing games?

i think book starts. I think kelly was trying to give Wimbush is moment given that it was senior night, but i would be extremely surpised if its not IB on Saturday. Brandon brings alot of good things to the table, but for this offense, IB is the obviously the better option. I have tried to make this point time and time again, but there is some kind of disconnect between BW and our OC. They either don't get along or he doesn't know how to use BW or something, its very obvious to those that want to see it. Long does not know how to call a good game plan for BW, maybe he doesn't want him to succeed, i dont know. But he constantly puts IB in positions to succeed and puts BW in situations that have a higher % of failure. Sorry i get sidetracked when it comes to these QBs,

But yes, i expect IB to play, but think they will have BW ready. Maybe a 50/50 split this week in practice.

Thanks guys, forgot to mention, ill read through other threads as i have time, but i will leave my comments in this threads, so sorry for duplicated conversations, but i just odn't like bouncing all around on your guys stuff.

I don't think anyone minds if you're commenting in other threads. We have a resident Clemson fan gbo and Virginia fan Hoo's That who actually prefer our color of orange to theirs, so they comment through multiple threads.

Don’t sweat contributing here, we have fans from several schools who post here regularly! Hell, we have regulars who are Clemson and UVA fans. Those guys stick around year round! Please, contribute as much as you feel comfortable. Makes the board better.

Wow, you beat me by two minutes on mentioning those posters! LOL!

I don't think anyone minds if you're commenting in other threads. We have a resident Clemson fan gbo and Virginia fan Hoo's That who actually prefer our color of orange to theirs, so they comment through multiple threads.

Personally, I'm feeling nervous. That our season has gone so well to an unexpected degree makes this a very important game -- one that could have program-changing ramifications in terms of perception, on the recruiting trail, etc.

But I love that we've put ourselves in a position for this to be a meaningful game. I hope our kids are sky high to play on Saturday -- can't imagine that they won't be. Need to play much better than we have the past few games to win, IMO.

What's the scoop with Book? Broken ribs seem like a difficult injury to attempt to play through.

you guy shave had a great year. Some nice wins, close loss to clemson and pitt. NOt far off from being in the discussion. ND has been up and down this year, sometimes they have played like a team deserving of a top 5, other times... not so much. I think this is a pretty good team that can play with any team ranked 3-10. Maybe not win all those games, but they would be close competitive games. I think that, in a very odd season, they are as deserving of the #3 spot as anyone, but i don't have hopes of them winning it all.

What were you seeing the last couple games that you think they need to clean up?

appreciate it, i enjoy popping in an out each year, the conversations are much better!

If i wanted to watch a game to get a good idea of this Syracuse team, which game would you recommend?

i like reading opponents sites before game day. Hopefully people do not get testy about opinions

Hey guys, ND fan here, obviously. Just looking to chat a little about the game this Saturday. Im not trying to come on here and be a troll and start all kinds of crap. Honestly, i can't stand a majority of ND fans, and the ones on the boards are even worse. Its unreadable garbage. So if you guys wanna chat, im here, ill give my opinions on strengths, weaknesses, ask for some of yours. If people don't want to, its cool, i'll leave. I spend about 7-8 weeks out of the year on opponent boards, find it much more interesting then the ND ones. i've actually had a lot of fun doing it, even met some people from time to time at home games. I can handle jabs at ND, but not gonna stick around to argue all week, so its up to you. I've done some looking through this board and can tell that ND is not a favorite by a lot of you and understand that. they can be a hard to team to love and an easy one to hate.

Very excited for this game, and from what some of you picked up on, this was scheduled as the shamrock game because they higher ups thought it would be an easy win, looks like they were wrong. Personally, im glad for the surge of Syracuse this year. A lot of the usual tough teams have taken a break from football this year and i think this will be a nice gauge for where ND really is heading into the end of the season.

I watched some of the FSU-ND game and some of the Northwestern-ND game.

Didn't see the freak athleticism on the ND defense that we have become accustomed to seeing from Clemson but I saw a lot of very good veteran athletes with good size who looked very well coached. Your DC (Clark Lea) was the LB coach at Syracuse for a few years. He was very well thought of when he was here. Glad to see him doing well in South Bend. Quality coach and quality person.

You have a bunch of big WRs that will be a challenge to cover and Dexter Williams will be a challenge for the SU defense to stop. That unit has had some problems with big, physical backs. We have some injuries with our cornerbacks that are not going to help things. We will be relying on a couple of big, talented CBs who are freshmen a lot. I am going to assume if Book really does play, he will be outfitted with a flak vest and be somewhat limited in his movements.

I can't imagine you getting less than 28 points on our defense. Probably more. It is hard to stop an offense that can run the ball and throw it well.

Not sure how much exposure ND has had to the Syracuse style of offense. It can be hard to handle, even for experienced units. If Dungey has a good day and the weather is good, we might be able to put up some points on you, even with your excellent defense.

Looks like Syracuse has a big advantage in special teams, where ND is okay, but not at the level of the Orange. Hope that is enough to tip the scales our way.

I wonder when the last time a college football game was played at Yankee Stadium where both teams were in the top 20? It might go back to when SU and ND played there in the early 1960s. Hope the ending of this game is less controversial than that one.

you guy shave had a great year. Some nice wins, close loss to clemson and pitt. NOt far off from being in the discussion. ND has been up and down this year, sometimes they have played like a team deserving of a top 5, other times... not so much. I think this is a pretty good team that can play with any team ranked 3-10. Maybe not win all those games, but they would be close competitive games. I think that, in a very odd season, they are as deserving of the #3 spot as anyone, but i don't have hopes of them winning it all.

What were you seeing the last couple games that you think they need to clean up?
Believe it or not [since we employ a modified version of the Baylor offense], our passing has been inconsistent. And we don't run block especially well. Those things need to change on Saturday for us to win.

We also struggle a bit defensively against the run, although we've improved the second half of the season by giving some "bigger" linebackers more PT, which has paid dividends.

If we don't turn the ball over and complete somewhere in the neighborhood of 65% of our passes, I really like our chances.

I watched some of the FSU-ND game and some of the Northwestern-ND game.

Didn't see the freak athleticism on the ND defense that we have become accustomed to seeing from Clemson but I saw a lot of very good veteran athletes with good size who looked very well coached. Your DC (Clark Lea) was the LB coach at Syracuse for a few years. He was very well thought of when he was here. Glad to see him doing well in South Bend. Quality coach and quality person.

You have a bunch of big WRs that will be a challenge to cover and Dexter Williams will be a challenge for the SU defense to stop. That unit has had some problems with big, physical backs. We have some injuries with our cornerbacks that are not going to help things. We will be relying on a couple of big, talented CBs who are freshmen a lot. I am going to assume if Book really does play, he will be outfitted with a flak vest and be somewhat limited in his movements.

I can't imagine you getting less than 28 points on our defense. Probably more. It is hard to stop an offense that can run the ball and throw it well.

Not sure how much exposure ND has had to the Syracuse style of offense. It can be hard to handle, even for experienced units. If Dungey has a good day and the weather is good, we might be able to put up some points on you, even with your excellent defense.

Looks like Syracuse has a big advantage in special teams, where ND is okay, but not at the level of the Orange. Hope that is enough to tip the scales our way.

I wonder when the last time a college football game was played at Yankee Stadium where both teams were in the top 20? It might go back to when SU and ND played there in the early 1960s. Hope the ending of this game is less controversial than that one.

I watched a couple Syracuse games. Seems to have a very opportunistic D. Your offense is like a video game. kind of like the B12 offenses. We played Wake which sort of has an offense like yours but not as good. so the answer we have not played an offense quite like yours.

If i wanted to watch a game to get a good idea of this Syracuse team, which game would you recommend?
Out of several to choose from, I would probably narrow it down to 2: NC St or Wake. Each game showed a different take on the offense (NC St passing, Wake running the ball). Also, both games showed we have obvious (though overcomable, if that's a word) issues on D.

Also, Clemson shows we can hang in against elite teams (losing in the last minute).

Out of several to choose from, I would probably narrow it down to 2: NC St or Wake. Each game showed a different take on the offense (NC St passing, Wake running the ball). Also, both games showed we have obvious (though overcomable, if that's a word) issues on D.

Also, Clemson shows we can hang in against elite teams (losing in the last minute).
Also the FSU game for compare & contrast purposes.

Just a fan, grew up and still live within 5-10 miles of the stadium. I went to Valpo though.
A large percentage of our board is townies (me included). I was planning to be in South Bend for the game and was disappointed when they moved it to 8 miles away from where I live in New Jersey!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom