Syracuse OnTrack - Is there any place for this in the new community grid? | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse OnTrack - Is there any place for this in the new community grid?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
This may be a very short thread, but wondering if anyone has heard of any movement on resurrecting the OnTrack or some variant of it? I remember in the late 90s when I was at SU, it was a really nice option to have for those looking to shuttle between SU, Armory, and the Mall. It seems like something that was never fully realized to its potential and possible use for purposes such as park and ride options.

I remember this article (Seeing an old Syracuse rail service in a new way: Is there renewed hope for the Ontrack corridor?) which was spurred by a passion project by a student who made OnTrack and a proposed revival his senior thesis. I can't find the report now but here is his Tedx ().

Has anyone heard a peep about this service in conjunction with the I-81 project? It would seem to make a ton of sense on some levels, although I know some of the obstacles that brought down the service initially would still need to be overcome.

This may be a very short thread, but wondering if anyone has heard of any movement on resurrecting the OnTrack or some variant of it? I remember in the late 90s when I was at SU, it was a really nice option to have for those looking to shuttle between SU, Armory, and the Mall. It seems like something that was never fully realized to its potential and possible use for purposes such as park and ride options.

I remember this article (Seeing an old Syracuse rail service in a new way: Is there renewed hope for the Ontrack corridor?) which was spurred by a passion project by a student who made OnTrack and a proposed revival his senior thesis. I can't find the report now but here is his Tedx ().

Has anyone heard a peep about this service in conjunction with the I-81 project? It would seem to make a ton of sense on some levels, although I know some of the obstacles that brought down the service initially would still need to be overcome.
Not for the I81 project per se, but there has been discussion on this as a way to get workers to and from the new Micron factory in Clay.

It appears to be at least under serious consideration.

Here is some of the talk on this topic...

If I was a student living close to Euclid, it would seem that Uber would be a lot more convenient way to get to Armory or Destiny than a light rail station almost a mile away.

If I was a student living close to Euclid, it would seem that Uber would be a lot more convenient way to get to Armory or Destiny than a light rail station almost a mile away.
NY will likely outlaw ride for hire transport, unless in fully electric vehicles.

That student has a familiar face...he's become a fairly high-ranking guy in the City administration.

Wonder if his passion for the project remains...

The rail question is complicated. Everything is, of course. But rail in Syracuse especially.

All modes are on the table in the Micron era, though, I've been told.