Syracuse, Pitt wish they were in Big Ten now | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse, Pitt wish they were in Big Ten now

You know, geography isn't always the answer either. That guy references pro sports, but aren't New York and Dallas in the NFC East? Isn't that a big rivalry? My Pats used to have a great rivalry with the Dolphins, and last I checked Boston and Miami weren't within driving distance.

I don't agree at all that Syracuse doesn't fit in the ACC. Institutionally we fit 100x better than in the Big Ten. Culturally, less so. But let's be real, Virginia and North Carolina are looking more and more "northern" than "southern" these days, in both political and demographic ways.

You know, geography isn't always the answer either. That guy references pro sports, but aren't New York and Dallas in the NFC East? Isn't that a big rivalry? My Pats used to have a great rivalry with the Dolphins, and last I checked Boston and Miami weren't within driving distance.

I don't agree at all that Syracuse doesn't fit in the ACC. Institutionally we fit 100x better than in the Big Ten. Culturally, less so. But let's be real, Virginia and North Carolina are looking more and more "northern" than "southern" these days, in both political and demographic ways.

Agree completely. Read the article before the thread but what you articulated was the first thought that popped into my head after reading it.

Man, the East would dominate the West.

Call me crazy but I think before it is all said and done that SU will be in the B10.

Call me crazy but I think before it is all said and done that SU will be in the B10.

As much as it sucks, I tend to agree. Natural rival for PSU, RU and Maryland

I don't agree with caption.

The talent is down south- it is less and less in the midwest and northeast.

The ACC gives us better access to talent- aligns us with private schools with whom we can compete and keeps most of our games on the east coast.

We fit in the ACC. We don't fit in the Big Ten.

I don't. Agree with caption.

The talent is down south- it is less and less in the midwest and northeast.

The ACC gives us better access to talent- aligns us with private schools with whom we can compete and keeps most of our games on the east coast.

We it in the ACC. We don't fit in the Big Ten.

"Fit" is overrated, and the ACC might not be around in two years. If the most profitable, stable conference in the country takes an interest in you, you do whatever it takes to join.

I prefer the ACC. The Big 10 has always been overrated. It seems that as long as I remember the big bad heavies from the Big 10 always got their butts handed to them by the fleet PAC 10 in the Rose Bowl. It is really a conference in decline in many ways and I for one don't think MD and RU solve that performance problem. Once the musical chairs stop - at that is not that far away - whatever product you have is what you have and the Big 10 product is going in the wrong direction.

Northeastern states have much more in common with the Southern states these days than they do the Midwest. How many New Yorkers retire in Ohio? There is a suburb in Raleigh by the name of Cary, NC which the locals say stands for Containment Area for Retiring Yankees!

The Big 10 is yesterday and the ACC is tomorrow. We are where we ought to be.

"Fit" is overrated, and the ACC might not be around in two years.
These are two totally separate and unrelated points. I, for one, don't think 'fit' is overrated. Remember, university presidents run things and make the ultimate decisions. They care about more than just athletics. On the other point, I think the ACC has a better chance of being around in two years than the Big XII.

These are two totally separate and unrelated points. I, for one, don't think 'fit' is overrated. Remember, university presidents run things and make the ultimate decisions. They care about more than just athletics. On the other point, I think the ACC has a better chance of being around in two years than the Big XII.

I agree on the ACC and B12, but if the B1G is calling our number, you better believe we're listening. In one move you guarantee the survival (and financial stability) of your athletic department. Right now you don't have that guarantee in the ACC (or B12), and that trumps fit.

But for what it's worth, I'm not holding my breath for a B1G invite.

I really hope not. Would rather be in a strong stable ACC. The issue is will that exist.

Unless a GOR is signed or ND comes aboard with football the idea of a strong stable ACC is a fairy tale imo. The sort of butthurt that the likes of FSU and Clemson have towards tobacco road is never going away.

I agree on the ACC and B12, but if the B1G is calling our number, you better believe we're listening. In one move you guarantee the survival (and financial stability) of your athletic department. Right now you don't have that guarantee in the ACC (or B12), and that trumps fit.

But for what it's worth, I'm not holding my breath for a B1G invite.

Exactly right. I hope SU stays in a stable ACC, but you never turn down the (significantly) bigger dollars and stability of the B1G. The ACC needs to get moving on getting a network started and starting the money printing presses. If they don't, the B1G payouts will be literally double the ACC's before you know it.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

It's hard to imagine SU football, ever being back competing against ohio state, michigan etc every year. I also think that it would be tough for Syracuse to regain its dominance over Rutgirls. They would go in on even footing, from a football standpoint.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

It's hard to imagine SU football, ever being back competing against ohio state, michigan etc every year. I also think that it would be tough for Syracuse to regain its dominance over Rutgirls. They would go in on even footing, from a football standpoint.

People probably don't want to think about it, but Rutgers is on much better footing than us... If they have half a brain they'll have better facilities, etc, and most importantly they can pay their players way more than we can.

I'm half joking on that last part, I think, maybe?

I think depending on ND and an ESPN tv deal for ACC that the ACC is very close to being as stable and a better conference than B1G

People probably don't want to think about it, but Rutgers is on much better footing than us... If they have half a brain they'll have better facilities, etc, and most importantly they can pay their players way more than we can.

I don't think so. Rutgers will be paid more and end up in the bottom consistently - with no path to top. Think Indiana without quality hoops. Fodder for OSU and Michigan. The bottom half of the SEC is proof. Consistently beaten to a pulp by the big boys.

Not as much as thought. The dirty little secret about rutgirls is how much they had to take from the general student fund to balance the books along with the large amount of money the state has been giving them. The amount last year for those 2 revenue streams was something on the order of $26m.

So with the student fund stream going to zero and the state cutting money across the board, rutgirls football net change in revenue will be far less than people think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I will say for the umpteenth-thousandth time... SU doesn't need to be in the richest conference to be competitive. We just need to be someplace that allows us to generate enough revenue to do what we need to do.

If the ACC hangs together then I don't care how much money the B1G makes, we'll be fine and the ACC is the best place for us.

Not as much as thought. The dirty little secret about rutgirls is how much they had to take from the general student fund to balance the books along with the large amount of money the state has been giving them. The amount last year for those 2 revenue streams was something on the order of $26m.

So with the student fund stream going to zero and the state cutting money across the board, rutgirls football net change in revenue will be far less than people think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

And don't forget that the big 10 requires a buy in period. It will be 5-10 years before they get the full benefit of the revenue. So short term they could be worse off.

Couple that with their lost opportunity this year and tons of graduations. They're staring at poor finishes to start their tenure in that conference while other B1G programs demolish the "wall" Schiano built around new jersey.

As long as the ACC stands, and I think it will, I like our long term prospects much better than theirs.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Here is something i found about in discussions with my source...who led me to it. Interestingly, it is a TV "eyeball" analysis that was done for the B1G about two years ago...INTERESTINGLY, 'Cuse is # 9 on the chart; but what is probably more important are the teams on top of the list. Note that aside from TX at #1, the next three are now B!G...Presuming Notre Dame never joins-and there are numerous reasons for that... it appears that BC and Kansas could be up next...
Not saying list is correct, but it adds two things:
1. All conferences, including the ACC, have their list of potential hits...note ACC has the 4-4-4 committee to do so and to analyze the prospects; and
2, B1G has several more prospects that could be tabbed...including 'Cuse if it wants an eastern grouping...to go along with Maryland, Rutgers and Penn State...

• Texas
  • Rutgers
  • Nebraska
  • Maryland
  • Boston College
  • Notre Dame
  • Kansas
  • Missouri
  • Syracuse
  • Connecticut
  • Pittsburgh
  • Iowa State