Syracuse provides 1st look at Dino Babers' salary; Jim Boeheim's pay goes up | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse provides 1st look at Dino Babers' salary; Jim Boeheim's pay goes up

Seems about right when compared to the rest of the ACC and where we hope to be headed.

Seems completely bonkers compared to where the importance of sports should be in the grand scheme of life.

Seems about right when compared to the rest of the ACC and where we hope to be headed.

Seems completely bonkers compared to where the importance of sports should be in the grand scheme of life.

I mean, agreed on both counts. That said, we needed a bump to get a good coach in and, importantly, keep him for a while. I like where we are because it shows we are serious about the program, and also, IF he is able to elevate to where I think we all hope he can, could potentially put him into the top 30-35 or so come next contract (which would likely be the minimum we'd have to move towards to keep him without representing a particularly ridiculous number).

Well between Daryl and Lou coming off the books, that frees up about $4.2m. If we throw in Scott, we are close to $5.5m freed up

I mean, agreed on both counts. That said, we needed a bump to get a good coach in and, importantly, keep him for a while. I like where we are because it shows we are serious about the program, and also, IF he is able to elevate to where I think we all hope he can, could potentially put him into the top 30-35 or so come next contract (which would likely be the minimum we'd have to move towards to keep him without representing a particularly ridiculous number).

Agree, the university showed a nice commitment with the over million $ bump. How about hop getting 540k as an assistant coach!;)

Yeah. I think being paid more than coaches at some ACC peer schools he has yet to beat speaks to the school's commitment. I would think as the wins increase his place on the ACC pay scale would change accordingly.

1A5CB51B-AC24-438F-AC46-4CBE57A08CAA.jpeg

Babers might be near $3m since the data is 2 years old.

3mm is a big league salary. Does Addazio make that much at BC? Hopefully when we are going to a New Year's bowl this year it'll be money well spent.

Pays to no where the skeletons are buried.
ha, thought the same. What does Gross know that they wanted kept quiet?? Total sweet heart deal. He got a million to basically teach a class, and play golf. Syverud: "We feel bad your new job isn't as lucrative. Here's 700k so you don't have to suffer..." Yeesh.

Nice article by Carlson re: Gross’s hush $$

Surprised they didn’t use Gross’s negative comments about Jake and Boeheim as click bait.

NYC’s AD was the worst. Good riddance.

Nice article by Carlson re: Gross’s hush $$

Surprised they didn’t use Gross’s negative comments about Jake and Boeheim as click bait.

NYC’s AD was the worst. Good riddance.

Nodding.

Nodding.

Wait, what? I don't know, people have their other reasons that we've all shared elsewhere, but I don't think Gross came off badly in this episode. (SU, on the other hand, not so much. "That contract came to an end by mutual agreement when Dr. Gross accepted his current position. His decision to leave the university on his own accord substantially reduced the university's financial obligations." Apparently Sarah Huckabee is working for the university now.) But Gross played the fall guy pretty gracefully, all things considered.

Nodding.

Nodding.

Wait, what? I don't know, people have their other reasons that we've all shared elsewhere, but I don't think Gross came off badly in this episode. (SU, on the other hand, not so much. "That contract came to an end by mutual agreement when Dr. Gross accepted his current position. His decision to leave the university on his own accord substantially reduced the university's financial obligations." Apparently Sarah Huckabee is working for the university now.) But Gross played the fall guy pretty gracefully, all things considered.

I think all parties come away with a stench.

Syverud if he truly did push Gross to stay (as DG claims in the deposition).

Gross for referencing dirty laundry at his former employer.

And SU (KS) for making Gross whole financially to minimize his motivation to go scorched earth on the way out the door.

Did I miss anyone?

And SU (KS) for making Gross whole financially to minimize his motivation to go scorched earth on the way out the door.

Did I miss anyone?

Yeah, the provost and the basketball coach/king of the university don't come off so great.

I will say that Gross's deposition would be a great read. Just the snippets that Carlson printed include a couple face-palm moments for Gross. The desperate self-preservation is great. My guess is that those 721 pages include a lot of throwing people under the bus.

Did I miss anyone?

This is hush money plain and simple. Are we ok w this as graduates of Syracuse University? What was the university quieting Gross about? This has to be something salacious if you ask me.

Gross was pushed out of AD to get a more favorable ruling from the NCAA.
The NCAA didn’t cut us any slack anyway though.
That was why Boeheim’s end date was announced so the penalties would have been while he was still the coach.
Gross did a good job except hiring Robinson which is a major stain.
Also Dino is worth every penny and then more. His job he inherited was like Marrone but in a way more difficult conference and schedule.

This is hush money plain and simple. Are we ok w this as graduates of Syracuse University? What was the university quieting Gross about? This has to be something salacious if you ask me.

I think it's not a proud moment for the school, but it's not as sinister as all that - he was just paid to reward him for taking the fall instead of the more valuable and more culpable basketball coach. It was good PR in advance of NCAA sanctions.

Nodding.

Nodding.

did his sweetheart deal match up with JB's original retirement date? I have heard the classes he taught at Falk school were interesting.

Gross was pushed out of AD to get a more favorable ruling from the NCAA.
The NCAA didn’t cut us any slack anyway though.
That was why Boeheim’s end date was announced so the penalties would have been while he was still the coach.
Gross did a good job except hiring Robinson which is a major stain.
Also Dino is worth every penny and then more. His job he inherited was like Marrone but in a way more difficult conference and schedule.

pushed out and paid all this money to do so? That doesn't add up. if the NCAA wanted him out why would we be on the hook to pay him more money to do so. It's amazing how many mitigating steps we always take to avoid sanctions etc and yet we always get dinged than any other school combined. Truly fascinating how penal our violations are with the steps we take

Time will tell on Dino. I don't know how anyone can say emphatically it's money well spent. The conf and schedule stuff is real and i grant you all that. I just can't state with 0% doubt that Dino is the man no matter what.

I hope it's 10 wins in 2018 and Dino hits us up for more money b/c he'll be worth it and will be seduced by bigger jobs.

Nodding.

Nodding.

I believe what this means is that we agreed via contract to pay him $1.5 million guaranteed (that's on the books and in the budgets). When he left early, including the buy out, we spent $1 million. That represents a savings of $500K

I believe what this means is that we agreed via contract to pay him $1.5 million guaranteed (that's on the books and in the budgets). When he left early, including the buy out, we spent $1 million. That represents a savings of $500K

Ah, so you interpret this as 'reduced the university's financial obligations [to Gross]'...that's reasonable. In the context of Carlson's writing, I didn't read that implied bracketed addition and thought that the statement claimed that this $500,000 savings represented a 'substantial reduction' in the university's overall financial obligations. Which wouldn't be an honest portrayal ($500,000 out of many millions). But of course $500,000 out of $1.5 million is substantial. Kind of vague.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom