syracuse recruiting territory not too bad... | Syracusefan.com

syracuse recruiting territory not too bad...

kcsu

Living Legend
I realize we exist in Upstate NY but when you think of it Syracuse really does have a pretty good footprint for recruits. NY will always have 10-20 top guys, NJ is always strong and we seem to be inching our way back there. PA is good for a kid or two a year, DC, Maryland, VA the beltway has great talent, FL will always be solid for Cuse, Ohio Michigan again a kid or two and throw in CA, TX, GA, and the occational odd duck like Tenn and we have a pretty good chance of landing some solid HS talent. In addition we will always have NCC and Milford to mine. Once the upgrades are in place and we have the exposure of the new ACC deal going if we can just manage to win 7 on a consistant basis i can see Syracuse truly becoming a solid top 25 team again. I think that Doug and his crew have done a very good job given the hole they had to dig out of and i believe they know how to identify talent. When we get to the point where more kids than not can RS i believe we will really see the NY talent shine as they are all great athletes who just need an extra year to catch up and learn the game. Hats off to the staff lets hope for a solid year so that they can take it to the next level

Well said, there is certainly talent to be grabbed... If we could put together a couple of bowl years and finish off our facilities improvements, no reason we can consistently be a top 30 team... DM plans seems to be moving ahead nicely...

I realize we exist in Upstate NY but when you think of it Syracuse really does have a pretty good footprint for recruits. NY will always have 10-20 top guys, NJ is always strong and we seem to be inching our way back there. PA is good for a kid or two a year, DC, Maryland, VA the beltway has great talent, FL will always be solid for Cuse, Ohio Michigan again a kid or two and throw in CA, TX, GA, and the occational odd duck like Tenn and we have a pretty good chance of landing some solid HS talent. In addition we will always have NCC and Milford to mine. Once the upgrades are in place and we have the exposure of the new ACC deal going if we can just manage to win 7 on a consistant basis i can see Syracuse truly becoming a solid top 25 team again. I think that Doug and his crew have done a very good job given the hole they had to dig out of and i believe they know how to identify talent. When we get to the point where more kids than not can RS i believe we will really see the NY talent shine as they are all great athletes who just need an extra year to catch up and learn the game. Hats off to the staff lets hope for a solid year so that they can take it to the next level
The tougest state to successfully recruit is California.While the supply of players is almost endless,geography and weather are decidedly against Syracuse when it comes to luring them out of that state More difficult than even Texas.:eek:

The tougest state to successfully recruit is California.While the supply of players is almost endless,geography and weather are decidedly against Syracuse when it comes to luring them out of that state More difficult than even Texas.:eek:
Cali isn't all beaches

I like how we are establishing relationships with key schools in different parts of the football hotbed recruiting areas; along with a somewhat national presence. We are after players from Indiana, Texas, Florida, Georgia and other ACC areas we haven't recruited as much previously.
The updated recruiting in Georgia has and will land us some gems! This dovetails with the university establish a student recruitment in the Atlanta area.

orange zone m m.jpg

I am somewhat confused by this argument...

Every school (other than Texas) has footprints in numerous states. Our bread and butter, ny and nj is an average at best footprint to have.

Yes we beat the occasional backup recruit from OSU, PSU or Mich from Ohio or Penn and I love that we have moved to GA but again for borderline big school talent.

The only stat to really worry about is that we haven't had a top 40 class or a top 150 player in over 10 years. That's hard to grasp for a BCS not to accidentally fall into 1 of those every 5 or so years.

I am mostly a Marrone fan, But we are still behind the 8 ball in recruiting. And it's not getting better fast enough IMO

I am somewhat confused by this argument...

Every school (other than Texas) has footprints in numerous states. Our bread and butter, ny and nj is an average at best footprint to have.

Yes we beat the occasional backup recruit from OSU, PSU or Mich from Ohio or Penn and I love that we have moved to GA but again for borderline big school talent.

The only stat to really worry about is that we haven't had a top 40 class or a top 150 player in over 10 years. That's hard to grasp for a BCS not to accidentally fall into 1 of those every 5 or so years.

I am mostly a Marrone fan, But we are still behind the 8 ball in recruiting. And it's not getting better fast enough IMO

I generally disagree to an extent with everything in this post.

NJ is an average at best state? Hmmm. We don't have the footprint there we need, but the coaches are trying to mend it.

Cam Lynch has already proved to be a player. He would play at some of the bigger schools. Kris Curtis is loved by the staff. We have 3 good-looking players coming in from GA this year (Morris, Parris, Manley).

Everyone would like to pick up the cream of the crop talent year in and year out, but I think Marrone & Co have done a great job recruiting thus far, especially in building pipelines.

I would not say we are behind the 8-ball. I would say that SU is starting to turn the corner since that fatal hire back in 2004.

I generally disagree to an extent with everything in this post.

NJ is an average at best state? Hmmm. We don't have the footprint there we need, but the coaches are trying to mend it.

Cam Lynch has already proved to be a player. He would play at some of the bigger schools. Kris Curtis is loved by the staff. We have 3 good-looking players coming in from GA this year (Morris, Parris, Manley).

Everyone would like to pick up the cream of the crop talent year in and year out, but I think Marrone & Co have done a great job recruiting thus far, especially in building pipelines.

I would not say we are behind the 8-ball. I would say that SU is starting to turn the corner since that fatal hire back in 2004.

If ny and nj are your claim to fame... Yes that's going to be considered average.

All those GA players are fine. Not sure if you saw my handle, but I live in GA. I don't believe UGA offered a single player, and tech didn't offer many either (you can certainly find diamonds in the rough...but you can't make a living off of them)

I'm not even asking for cream of crop. Seriously, think about a BcS school not having a top 40 class or a single top 150 player in 10-13 years. It's mind boggling. And it's starting to look like we may be adding another year to that.

If ny and nj are your claim to fame... Yes that's going to be considered average.

All those GA players are fine. Not sure if you saw my handle, but I live in GA. I don't believe UGA offered a single player, and tech didn't offer many either (you can certainly find diamonds in the rough...but you can't make a living off of them)

I'm not even asking for cream of crop. Seriously, think about a BcS school not having a top 40 class or a single top 150 player in 10-13 years. It's mind boggling. And it's starting to look like we may be adding another year to that.

It is going to be considered by who? Scout, Rivals??? NJ is rather loaded with talent every year, and NY generally has a few good prospects every year. The difference is the coaching staff isn't focused exclusively on those 2 areas. Throw PA, GA, OH, FL and TX in there now.

GT and UGA not offering these players doesn't really matter at all to me. The staff liked them, that should be good enough.

(you can certainly find diamonds in the rough...but you can't make a living off of them)

Chris Peterson disagrees with your statement.

It is going to be considered by who? Scout, Rivals??? NJ is rather loaded with talent every year, and NY generally has a few good prospects every year. The difference is the coaching staff isn't focused exclusively on those 2 areas. Throw PA, GA, OH, FL and TX in there now.

GT and UGA not offering these players doesn't really matter at all to me. The staff liked them, that should be good enough.

I dont know how to respond to either of these.

If you think NY and NJ is a great footprint, so be it. NJ does have talent.

You can say we are recruiting PA, GA, OH, FL, and TX (who from texas?) but we only get players that dont get recruited by the big boys, so is that really mining those states?

Again, with the GT and UGA stuff - my point is we get the scraps.

Lets have a top 40 class (not asking for much of anything... just a top 40 class) Lets get 1, ONE, UNO, top 150 player in the next 10 years. We are a BCS school with history. If we had 5 top 150 players over the last decade, I would say that is really bad. we have had ZERO. Let alone 1 a year which should be very easy to get.

then we can say we made improvements. Until then, I have no idea why everyone feels the need to defend our recruiting.

Cam was the GA defensive player of the year during his senior year... not exactly scraps. :)
If he was 2-3 inches taller he'd have the offers you're talking about.

I agree, however, that Syracuse is not (currently) in the running for most of the state's top talent. The move to the ACC will help a bit. Winning and regularly competing for division titles will help even more.

You can say we are recruiting PA, GA, OH, FL, and TX (who from texas?) but we only get players that dont get recruited by the big boys, so is that really mining those states?

Lets have a top 40 class (not asking for much of anything... just a top 40 class) Lets get 1, ONE, UNO, top 150 player in the next 10 years. We are a BCS school with history. If we had 5 top 150 players over the last decade, I would say that is really bad. we have had ZERO. Let alone 1 a year which should be very easy to get.

then we can say we made improvements. Until then, I have no idea why everyone feels the need to defend our recruiting.

I think in our staff's eyes, we have landed a top 40 class last year, and some top 150 players. I'm content with that. When I start getting excited about where our class is ranked by scout and rivals then I might as well be a Rutgers fan.

The reason you recruit a state like Georgia is because there is plenty of talent to go around. Over 100 legit D1 prospects a season. Georgia and Georgia Tech can’t take them all. As someone who lives in Georgia you should know that.

The Georgia players we’ve landed I wouldn’t exactly call scraps either. They had a decent selection of BCS offers.

Josh Parris (O) VaTech, Ole Miss, BC, South Florida, Vandy, Virginia, West Virginia

George Morris (O) Purdue, Illinois, Utah, Indiana, Vandy

Josh Manley (O) Georgia Tech, Louisville, Missouri, BC, Wake, NC State, UCF

The Georgia/Florida kids on the roster have been big contributors and there’s no reason to think the ones in the pipeline aren’t going to either. Syracuse doesn’t have to beat Georgia for a kid to consider it a success. Every major conference school in the country recruits Georgia.

What areas do you believe should be Syracuse’s recruiting focus?

The reason you recruit a state like Georgia is because there is plenty of talent to go around. Over 100 legit D1 prospects a season. Georgia and Georgia Tech can’t take them all. As someone who lives in Georgia you should know that.

The Georgia players we’ve landed I wouldn’t exactly call scraps either. They had a decent selection of BCS offers.

Josh Parris (O) VaTech, Ole Miss, BC, South Florida, Vandy, Virginia, West Virginia

George Morris (O) Purdue, Illinois, Utah, Indiana, Vandy

Josh Manley (O) Georgia Tech, Louisville, Missouri, BC, Wake, NC State, UCF

The Georgia/Florida kids on the roster have been big contributors and there’s no reason to think the ones in the pipeline aren’t going to either. Syracuse doesn’t have to beat Georgia for a kid to consider it a success. Every major conference school in the country recruits Georgia.

What areas do you believe should be Syracuse’s recruiting focus?

I am not arguing where we are recruiting in ANYWAY. i apologize if that was unclear. What I am debating: the peachy (pun intended) outlook of our recruiting. And i dont really know if we have any sort of hold on any state right now.

as i said in my original post, i love that we have moved to GA.

A quick google search brought me to this article: http://footballrecruiting./content.asp?CID=1239398

So, Syracuse's territories include Texas 1, Fla 2, GA 4, Ohio 5, PA 6, and NJ 10.

What I find interesting, is that in all of those states it lists a few teams that poach from that state. Syracuse isnt listed in 1 of them.

I think in our staff's eyes, we have landed a top 40 class last year, and some top 150 players. I'm content with that. When I start getting excited about where our class is ranked by scout and rivals then I might as well be a Rutgers fan.

I hope you are right.

But I have said that numerous times over the last 10 years and nothing has ever come to fruition.

The ranking sites take a lot of flak, a lot deserved. But they are a pretty accurate tell for success.

I hope you are right.

But I have said that numerous times over the last 10 years and nothing has ever come to fruition.

The ranking sites take a lot of flak, a lot deserved. But they are a pretty accurate tell for success.

Until you get a 2 or 3 star kid that commits to Alabama, and is all of a sudden reranked as a high 4 star. They play it to their large customer bases. That same kid would stay as a 2 or 3 star kid if he goes to Syracuse versus being reranked up. The eval sites are all guilty of that.

Until you get a 2 or 3 star kid that commits to Alabama, and is all of a sudden reranked as a high 4 star. They play it to their large customer bases. That same kid would stay as a 2 or 3 star kid if he goes to Syracuse versus being reranked up. The eval sites are all guilty of that.

thats what fans of schools that dont get 4 or 5 stars say.

the eval sites are a decent indicators of talent to come.

i think it is fair to say syracuse has had next to no talent that corresponding with the recruiting rankings. (over the long term, not talking about an outlier here or there).

thats what fans of schools that dont get 4 or 5 stars say.

the eval sites are a decent indicators of talent to come.

i think it is fair to say syracuse has had next to no talent that corresponding with the recruiting rankings. (over the long term, not talking about an outlier here or there).

So you don't think it is ironic that lower ranked kids who commit to bigger schools almost always get an instant bump up? Cmon.

So you don't think it is ironic that lower ranked kids who commit to bigger schools almost always get an instant bump up? Cmon.

how often does that happen?

how often does that happen?

It would take alot of time to go back through and try to figure this out, but I'm not willing to put in that time. Haha... I think it happens, and you don't. No biggie.

If these sites were accurate then Cam Lynch, 5A defensive player of the year in Georgia (your own state!) wouldn't have been a two star on ESPN and a three star on Scout. I guarantee you that he would have been a 4 or 5 star guy had he gone to Bama or UGA

If these sites were accurate then Cam Lynch, 5A defensive player of the year in Georgia (your own state!) wouldn't have been a two star on ESPN and a three star on Scout. I guarantee you that he would have been a 4 or 5 star guy had he gone to Bama or UGA

But Bama or UGA didnt offer him, neither did Tenn, Tech, SC, Clemson, or any Fla school.

UGA's 3 lb's: 3 star, 3 star and 4 star
http://syracuse.*********/a.z?s=185&p=9&c=8&toinid=740&sspid=-1&yr=2011

I love Cam Lynch, and he may be end up being 1 of those outliers. But after 1 decent season, its too early to tell what his ranking should or shouldnt have been.

I'll say it again, I LOVE that Syracuse University and Doug Marrone has picked up recruiting the state of Georgia. But its not like we are picking up top 10 talent in the state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom