Syracuse to retire Jersey of Joe Morris | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse to retire Jersey of Joe Morris

I have been watching Syracuse football games since 1973. Joe is the best RB Syracuse has had since I have been watching, by a large margin.

It is a shame he got hurt running into the sideline wall in the Dome. He was still terrific after that but never quite the same.

They added pads to those walks because of his injury. They remain there to this day.

Anyway, I agree, this honor is well overdue. Congratulations Joe!

I have been watching Syracuse football games since 1973. Joe is the best RB Syracuse has had since I have been watching, by a large margin.

It is a shame he got hurt running into the sideline wall in the Dome. He was still terrific after that but never quite the same.

They added pads to those walks because of his injury. They remain there to this day.

Anyway, I agree, this honor is well overdue. Congratulations Joe!
I can still see it like it was yesterday. Those lousy Northwestern tomato cans parted like the Red Sea as Joe ran through their sideline and into the wall. He would have broken 5,000 career yards if it weren't for that injury.

So this was done back in 1998 I think. I was there. They did it at the NY Athletic Club. I got such a kick out of it because at that point, my roommate was the last person to wear the number. Joe was there. I grew up in North Jersey and had met him a few times (I worked at a sporting goods store and sold him a pair of gloves). Joe was a cube. He was the same dimension in all directions. As a Giants fan, it was a hell of an honor and that was before I knew I was going to SU or understood he'd even gone there, let alone what he meant to the program. To be at that jersey retirement almost ten years later, knowing that my roommate wore the number was pretty surreal.

A great guy.

Fall of 1980. I get ready for my first ever class at SU. Astronomy 101 taught by Gunther Wessel @10:40. I get outside the Physics Building by 10:15 on a sunny day. There’s a short guy and a gal outside the building. I have no idea who these people are. We start some small talk. A few guys walk by and give the short guy a hard time about not catching a pass. I still had no clue who he was.

That was until I saw his picture in the program of the first ever game at the Carrier Dome the following Saturday.

For the next 2 years he always greeted me whenever we ran into each other.

Congratulations, Joe! Well deserved!

Congrats to Joe...just some amazing memories watching this guy play when i was younger. Is it me or is he the last guy that made the quick pitch right look effective in college? Man every single time they called that play he seemed to break it for 6-15 yards...i swear... just about every time! He was so low to the ground and fast that by the time a dline guy saw him, he was already 10 yards downfield.

Joe's signature run was the sprint draw. The Orangemen ran that over and over, but it always seemed to work for Joe. Great straight line speed and a lot of power for a back his size.

And speaking of his size, Joe always said, "I'm short, but I'm not small."

Anyone who ever saw Joe without pads can attest. He was a weight-room giant, huge chest, shoulders and thighs. Think he might have had the highest squat on the team.

And has been mentioned, great guy. He said something to me one day that helped me avoid a problem with other players. Don't need to expand on that, but it speaks volumes to his character as a person.

Hard to imagine a guy who is more richly deserving of this honor.

really just one injury away from being the first back to have 4 straight 1000 yd seasons. he was great

Joe did it in the NFL as well, what a wonderful player he was to watch.

SU-RBU at one time had the All Time leading rushers for Cleveland (and NFL),Denver, Boston/NE, NYG and Miami? That's pretty darn amazing to go with at one time the NFL All Time leader in Receptions (Monk) and scoring (Anderson). I don't think any other school can say they did that in rushing, receptions and scoring at any time..

Good for Joe, he deserves this.

He came to my HS in mid 80s as part of Nancy Reagan’s ‘Just Say No’ campaign, I knew he was short, but to shake his hand I realized just how short.

I see him 8x a year at Giants games, he either works for them or the NFL, as some kind of ‘sideline cop’.

Joe fun fact, after he got hurt in 89 preseason and missed the year, then was cut in 90 after they drafted our old Peach Bowl buddy Rodney Hampton. he then sat out the season before joining Belichick in Cleveland for a year and then retired for good.

Joe was soooo fast. Loved watching him play. Well deserved honor

If I remember correctly Joe was a second round pick for the Giants. First round pick was Butch Woolfolk, RB from Michigan. the Giants stubbornly left Woolfolk in the RB1 slot - no committees in those days - until an injury pushed Joe into the role and he never looked back. Helped me win a couple of fantasy football titles too!

Love it. The first great back in the dome. Not sure what took so long. Hope Joe has been taking his meds, getting 30 min of cardio/day, and consuming plenty of kale. GO JOE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom