Syracuse will never be Duke or UNC's rival? | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse will never be Duke or UNC's rival?

General20

Basketball Maven
Check out the thread "Cuse vs. dookies - who you got?" on North Carolina's board.

There is almost as much hate for Syracuse as Duke. The team UNC is suppose to hate above all others.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are the new bully in town, and the rivalry has begun.

Last edited:
UNC has some serious academic issues to clear up. The duke rivalry has begun and its an awesome feeling. The quality of basketball tonight is the quality you get in a title game. Just top notch.

We will prolly always be the program fans of both UNC and Duke affirm publicly isn't their rival...then you'll be able to see things like that thread that show reality. We already are to a large degree.

We're the stealth rival of the top programs of the ACC already - I can live with that.

Since when do rivalries foster good will toward fellow fans?

Valid point we will never be UNC or Dukes rivals:

Globe_terrestre_Orange_te_Bleu.svg

As we take town to town, city to city, nation by nation, we are the rivals of the world!!!! Antarctica will be a home game!

51EAYczVSDL._SY300_.jpg

Just like Rutgers was never a rival of SU.

We will prolly always be the program fans of both UNC and Duke affirm publicly isn't their rival...then you'll be able to see things like that thread that show reality. We already are to a large degree.

We're the stealth rival of the top programs of the ACC already - I can live with that.

Every program, including Louisville, is going to have some ups and downs as elite programs over the next 10 years. I'm not sure what program will be the best the next 10 years - they are all very well positioned. This is great for SU, because up until recently (say up to 2008), while we had success, it was hard to argue that we were positioned to have as much success as Duke and UNC long term. We have now reached the level with our play since 2009 and our recruiting, that we can easily be argued as equals in terms of projecting the next little while.

I look forward to some great matchups, some great ACC races

We'll be a rival to both, the same way Maryland was a rival in the early 2000's or Wake Forest was during the Tim Duncan years, which is ok. Rivalries are the most fun when the hatred is mutual. That's what made SU-vs-Gtown so much fun. Unless we absolutely own the league for the next 5 years, that type of hatred toward us won't develop anytime soon.

Teams with 3-4 losses ALREADY in conference play just don't quite make the cut. I'm eyeing Virginia to see if maybe they are worthy.

OrangeDW said:
Teams with 3-4 losses ALREADY in conference play just don't quite make the cut. I'm eyeing Virginia to see if maybe they are worthy.

Let's win at Cameron this year, and the next few, before we make such pronouncements. We had a pretty sad stretch of losses last season and got to the final four. That said, I think we are the better team this year because of Ennis. Good as MCW was he got us crazy at times. Three turnovers in a game for Ennis is an aberration.

ESPN and Swofford have to be giddy over Cuse, Pitt and Ville coming in to the ACC. They (ESPN) are going to hype the crap out of these battles.

both teams have been sent home whimpering tail between legs with the new orange alpha dog in the pack
Duke did not go home with whimpering tails between their legs; they and SU played an amazing game, one of the best I have ever watched. Duke brought talent, guts, and heart to the game. SU brought the same for two more points than Duke. Just a great game.

FreakTalksAboutSU said:
All due respect, but Duke and UNC have been passionate league and geographic rivals for decades. We have the chance to build something here, but it's going to take an awfully long time to get anywhere close to that level.

The changing face of leagues is accelerating development of new rivalries. Granted we will not have the history of Duke-UNC or SU-G'town, but the media saturation and level of play will help push these and mask the lack history. Heck, last nights game was billed as legend v legend between JB and K. It is in ESPN's best interest to develop, if not flat out manufacture, a rivalry. Fortunately for us we don't need the manufacturing but the media exposure won't hurt.

ACC will have four of the best programs in college basketball history. The games between Duke, UNC, Syracuse and Louisville will be epic made for TV battles that will be the cornerstone of East Coast basketball. Call it a rival, call it a battle, call it whatever you want. Just don't understate what it actually is: awesome college basketball!

I'm just going to enjoy playing schools like Duke and UNC and if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. I don't think you can force things like this and I have a Huge disdain for Pitt and ND...respect Louisville but hate losing to them and for Duke I have a lot of respect and it's like a battle you have with a friend and you fight like hell during the game but can shake hands after and still be friends. UNC has an uppity my crap doesn't stink feel to them and shooting them an elbow to the teeth kind of feels good. That's how I feel about the ACC so far...and oh yeah, NCS is the red haired step child.

Let's win at Cameron this year, and the next few, before we make such pronouncements. We had a pretty sad stretch of losses last season and got to the final four. That said, I think we are the better team this year because of Ennis. Good as MCW was he got us crazy at times. Three turnovers in a game for Ennis is an aberration.
Syracuse reinvented itself during that tough stretch last year. Southerland was out/in the process of coming back and we stopped playing D. (No Chemistry). The BE Tourny allowed us to get back to the roots, Defense and ball control. The same thing happended in Dion's Freshman year. SU is a more complete team this year than last and I believe last years "stretch" is paying dividends this year...

I am from NY and now live in Greensboro. It's Duke/Carolina here all the time. SU is the best team in the conference-so far, and the local news sports reporters barely mention SU. One of the leads from WFMY News 2 is a Syracuse native..and he barely talks SU.

The ACC fans down here do not want SU coming into "their" conference and winning....

If SU keeps playing its game, then everyone will have to talk about SU come April!

nope. daytona 500 feb 23rd and from then on it's all nascar.