Syracusefan.com Forum Usability Ideas, No Debates Necessary! | Syracusefan.com

Syracusefan.com Forum Usability Ideas, No Debates Necessary!

SyracuseFan

Scout Team
I have vast experience in online communities but rather than list all the things I believe could help our board, I'll leave it to one thing that works well on every site I've ever been involved in.

Organized Topic Threads: you can get as creative as you'd like with these.

SU
Upcoming Opponents
Uconn
GT
Whoever
Rankings / Standings
Top 25
Week 1
Week 2
Stats / Analysis
Box Scores
week 1
week 2
Net points
Week 1
Week 2
All The Rest

Recruiting
SU Recruting
BE Recruiting
Everyone Else

General BE Talk

Current Games
BE Games
Other Games

* I just included a few to get the idea across.

----------

When your talking about usability of a growing community these topic threads allow for a much better user experience. ie finding posts you want to refer to and generally keeping things under control. The number one thing this whole concept does is minimizes duplicate threads/posts on the same topic. People will find what they want to post on more easily and efficiently and in turn they will post better content rather than adding nonsense and attacks to posts they are not interested in.

When you have an organized hierarchy you'll see members fall into place and follow it. When they don't you warn them once or twice and then put em on probation or whatever. Most mods think this causes more work when in fact it doesn't, once it gets rolling it polices itself. We usually assign mods to certain threads. They can read other threads they just need to police the one assigned to them. Maybe this will require a couple more moderators. But probably not.

----

The other great idea people shared was the tip jar. This tip jar could help accommodate that concern.

Without debating the infamous pay board. I do want to share a couple points. The internet and its social aspects has changed everything and information is completely. Tighter twitter and personal blog integration in this community is probably the next big thing that will help enrich our board just like YouTube has. Future talented contributors will be less likely to post here if they see a pay wall, just my experience.

Regarding Pay to Play: I completely understand every positive and every negative and it is not my site so I will not debate them. Either way it will be a great board with the staff we have here already. I just want to share one other item i was concerned about. Please try not to make your decisions based on the capabilities of board software as there are plenty of us here who can help add to this widget or that. Or if we had to migrate to other board software, not really a huge undertaking. Specifically with regards to having two chat rooms, if it allows one we can get two working.

Tip jar use number two: The tip jar contributors could have access to premium content. Along with outside talent we should feature some of the talented members here already that also have great blogs and other people with recruiting excellence could write SF premium articles. These articles could allow comments from tip jar contributors only. (Maybe tip Jar Contribution Resets Every Month) Again just ideas that I'm sure you have already discussed.

But wait there's more: The best thing about tip jars and community goals is it makes everyone feel good contributing to a goal. These financial goals should change depending on what the board is trying to reach that particular month or goal period. More importantly it puts a time limit on the offer and more people would be inclined to get in on the offer before it runs out. In my professional opinion you will raise more money and have more fun doing it with something like this in place.

Tip Jar contribution could also open access to a members only message board and chat if that is decided to be important.

------

The debate and decisions are better left to the moderators and site admins as most debate would likely be fuled by people with a stake in the ground lets just share ideas on this one.

Please add your best ideas that might make the site better for you without flaming and judging other peoples ideas. We might just make this a better more usable environment for everyone paid or not.

I like the idea of organized topic threads...we probably didn't need fifteen different threads on Nerlens Noel.

You have an interesting approach to facilitating discussion.

Thank You, if we are sharing compliments...
You have an impeccable knack for adding value with your posts.

The thread's main goal was to brainstorm and share ideas for improving the site. My goal of being a brainstorming only concept was so kids wouldn't come in and bash everything someone else says. (ie what is ruining the board discussions) Have you ever been involved in a brainstorming session? They have them in corporate board rooms and grade school surely you've taken part? I'm sure you can understand... I was trying to imply if you don't have "Ideas" then maybe you should move along to the next thread, where in theory you can add something of value to a discussion.

I failed miserably it appears.

No need to waste anymore time, I'll see you all next year.

The thread's main goal was to brainstorm and share ideas for improving the site. My goal of being a brainstorming only concept was so kids wouldn't come in and bash everything someone else says. (ie what is ruining the board discussions) Have you ever been involved in a brainstorming session? They have them in corporate board rooms and grade school surely you've taken part? I'm sure you can understand... I was trying to imply if you don't have "Ideas" then maybe you should move along to the next thread, where in theory you can add something of value to a discussion.

Your condescending response just confirmed what I suspected.

In all honesty...the title of your thread contains: "No Debates Necessary!"

I know what you meant...I think...but others would read that as you not looking for feedback (regardless of whether you were or you weren't).

44cuse

two things here:

1. it's pretty amazing that, when people pay for things, they tend to treat them better. Even whey they are paying as little as $10 per month or less. The fact of the matter is that the pay side on the old board was better mannered, on-topic and more informative, even though it was much less trafficked. That is the reason people clamor for the pay board - it's not that it "keeps the riff raff out," rather, it tends to keep us all from devolving into riff raff. Those who used the pay side at the old board will confirm this - and it is especially the case when you compare the chat rooms.

2. I detest the "official thread" posts. the fact of the matter is that most posters have very little to offer, and you have to wade through a lot of chaff in those megathreads to find the few kernels of wheat. I would much rather see 40 different threads with 6 to 10 responses than one thread with 200 or more responses. It's also why so many of us want to see thread view - topic view is more egalitarian, as it basically forces you to read, or at least skim, every post. Thread view allows you to skip over the sub-topics and especially the posters who you know from experience are weak and/or distasteful. I don't mean that in a superior way, either - I know that there are plenty of posters who wish they could skip over my posts.

all that being said, I think the forum is basically fine. if you take the time to explore it, there is a lot of functionality here that solves many of the "problems" people have. I would still like to see thread view, and I would contribute to a tip jar, but there is no need for any major overhaul, IMO.

I've always thought that once a topic got to 44 responses that it should automatically be locked. By that time it is usually on some tangent anyways.

two things here:

1. it's pretty amazing that, when people pay for things, they tend to treat them better. Even whey they are paying as little as $10 per month or less. The fact of the matter is that the pay side on the old board was better mannered, on-topic and more informative, even though it was much less trafficked. That is the reason people clamor for the pay board - it's not that it "keeps the riff raff out," rather, it tends to keep us all from devolving into riff raff. Those who used the pay side at the old board will confirm this - and it is especially the case when you compare the chat rooms.

2. I detest the "official thread" posts. the fact of the matter is that most posters have very little to offer, and you have to wade through a lot of chaff in those megathreads to find the few kernels of wheat. I would much rather see 40 different threads with 6 to 10 responses than one thread with 200 or more responses. It's also why so many of us want to see thread view - topic view is more egalitarian, as it basically forces you to read, or at least skim, every post. Thread view allows you to skip over the sub-topics and especially the posters who you know from experience are weak and/or distasteful. I don't mean that in a superior way, either - I know that there are plenty of posters who wish they could skip over my posts.

all that being said, I think the forum is basically fine. if you take the time to explore it, there is a lot of functionality here that solves many of the "problems" people have. I would still like to see thread view, and I would contribute to a tip jar, but there is no need for any major overhaul, IMO.

But then you get a bunch of 5-6 reply threads all on the same topic. This is especially true during game threads. I think you'll agree that not every little thought someone has in-game deserves its own topic. And isnt' there an ignore button for weak posters?

But then you get a bunch of 5-6 reply threads all on the same topic. This is especially true during game threads. I think you'll agree that not every little thought someone has in-game deserves its own topic. And isnt' there an ignore button for weak posters?
sometimes you get that (Orangeyes just posted the 3rd thread today on Lunardi's early bracketology, for instance), but I still think it is preferable to the long single threads - even single game threads, which I purposely ignore. and, yes, there is an ignore button and yes, I do have a couple people on it (but not because they are "weak"). Long single topic threads are boring and the little bit of good stuff in there gets lost because the next day, when you peruse the forum, I don't go through every post on them and instead just look for topic headers and poster handles that I find interesting. again, thread view would fix that (and I know I'm not the only one who thinks so)

to each his own, but I hate those long threads

I seriously can't understand this place, its just mindboggling. I spend a bunch of time sharing some ideas and some personal experiences. Immediately, I have people questioning what I said or how I said it. Seriously, what did I do wrong in today's post?

I was simply suggesting that we try and brainstorm rather than debate everyones elses ideas. Or rather than trashing everyones ideas which happens all too often. I was attempting to create One single Thread where people's ideas weren't judged.

The pay board debate turned into one guy calling everyone's opinon stupid because he apparently already had a shovel in the sand. I was trying to avoid the politics of this by just brainstorming.

When I login and see two people just judging my post and making a rude comments. I got mad, why wouldn't I? I spent time sharing my ideas and experiences and that is the response? So what did I do wrong, I'm serious? I started a brainstorming thread and got carried away in adding too many ideas? Bottom line is apparently I didn't do it right?What could I have done better, I ask you seriously?

In all honesty...the title of your thread contains: "No Debates Necessary!"

I know what you meant...I think...but others would read that as you not looking for feedback (regardless of whether you were or you weren't).

44cuse

If people replied without reading my post, I can totally see where you are coming from. However even if you skimmed my post with one eye open you couldn't have missed where I was explaining why we should try a brainstorming thread vs typical debate. I just can't understand why someone would judge and reply to a post without reading it.

I didn't know you started a "brainstorming thread" based on the heading of "no debates" and the statement of "I have vast experience, etc". You came across has pompous (not saying you are) based on that and in honesty I didn't read it until I saw it was still here. But you can't say "I'm really smart at this kinda thing so don't question my ideas" (paraphrasing) and then wonder why people respond how they have.

On the actual post, I agree with Moqui that I do not prefer the single, incredibly wrong thread. It takes to long to read, especially if you weren't involved from the beginning, though I never cared for thread view.

Also, creating specific topic forums probably won't work as it is now because beyond the main football and bball boards noone goes to the others.

I think the board is set up pretty well as it is, especially when you spend time here and learn new things about how to use it. Could things be better, sure, but nothing is ever perfect and I'm just glad we have what we have.

If people replied without reading my post, I can totally see where you are coming from. However even if you skimmed my post with one eye open you couldn't have missed where I was explaining why we should try a brainstorming thread vs typical debate. I just can't understand why someone would judge and reply to a post without reading it.
Lighten up! It was an odd message and someone commented on that. Maybe you'll get more substantive comments after people get a chance to digest your fairly long post.

Ok, so your approach could use some sharpening, but I can dig what you're saying.

Anyone on the football side knows that half the time someone posts a thread, someone brings up Rutgers. Then the RU clowns show up defending the faith, and awaaaaaay we go. If you have an all-things Rutgers thread, problem solved. Any RU threadshitting, tell em to take it to the sandbox and the real conversation continues.

Also, not everyone is combing this forum for information (WHAT CHANNEL IS THE GAME ON SERIOUSLY GUYS). It's hokey but this is a community and as the best SU fan site on the web, it represents to the world what the average SU fan is thinking. How many people ran to the GTown boards for some sweet, sweet Noel schadenfreude the other day to comfort us in our time of grief?

Maybe a Reddit-style upvote system where the amount of "likes" in a thread would upvote a thread toward the top. Maybe keep your top 5 or 10 threads right under the sticky. Good info, news we as a whole deem important, or even threads with a lot of yuks get a boost. Literally separate the wheat from the chaff.

Edit: I think the forum is great as is.

I seriously can't understand this place, its just mindboggling. I spend a bunch of time sharing some ideas and some personal experiences. Immediately, I have people questioning what I said or how I said it. Seriously, what did I do wrong in today's post?

I was simply suggesting that we try and brainstorm rather than debate everyones elses ideas. Or rather than trashing everyones ideas which happens all too often. I was attempting to create One single Thread where people's ideas weren't judged.

The pay board debate turned into one guy calling everyone's opinon stupid because he apparently already had a shovel in the sand. I was trying to avoid the politics of this by just brainstorming.

When I login and see two people just judging my post and making a rude comments. I got mad, why wouldn't I? I spent time sharing my ideas and experiences and that is the response? So what did I do wrong, I'm serious? I started a brainstorming thread and got carried away in adding too many ideas? Bottom line is apparently I didn't do it right?What could I have done better, I ask you seriously?

When I read your original post this morning it came across as "Hey, I'm an expert on this stuff and here are a bunch of my great ideas, but let's not actually discuss them or be critical of them, and by the way, if any of the rest of you slobs have any ideas nearly this good, spit them out."

To me, your OP isn't exactly a call for a brainstorming session. That would have sounded more like "Hey, let's kick around some ideas on how we might make our experience on this board better. I've got some ideas, and briefly here are a few of them... What do you think? What ideas do the rest of you have? What would most improve your experience here?"

Also, the fact that you claim to be the injured party in all this is laughable. Most of the "rude comments" and shots at other posters in this thread seem to be coming from you. I suggest you grow thicker skin.

Great ideas from someone w/out myopia.

That said, I am not a huge fan of mid organized topics. These seem to stagnate, and even the mods here will violate, by posting their bernie fine thoughts outside the Fine Mess when apparently worried their thoughts wont get enough traffic. Let the people decide.

I prefer the user-based admin approach that sites like slash dot have offered for a decade now. Let users decide which thoughts float to the top.

Lol, I read your op, got it, made my reply, then read all the other replies about your supposed arrogance.

I don't want 100 page "official" threads either, but sub-folders would be nice. So when you click a Nerlens Noel folder you can then see every post about the guy. And if you don't care about it, you don't have to weed through the clutter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom