Syracuse's Television coverage | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse's Television coverage

Briancuse

Living Legend
Sorry guys going to go on a bit of a rant here, but frankly its an abomination how poorly our tv coverage is. We are 5th all time in wins and a top 15 team, and its 2018, I shouldn't be having to fiddle around on my phone looking for a stream to watch. Uconn's a mid major and all of their games are on in the nyc market, we have a much bigger following than they do. The Acc needs to get their tv crap together, frankly its embarrassing that we don't have a network like the Btn right now.

I certainly feel your pain my friend. I don't know where you are situated, but I am in Ontario and even with Dish Network and the Sports Package I only get 16 games on TV this season (ESPN channels and CBS). Games on the Regional Sports Channels are all blacked out for me. Watch ESPN is not available up here and the streaming sites I have used in the past are either not carrying the games this year or I am unable to get them loaded. When we were in the Big East I got almost every game. Very frustrating indeed.

Now, the ACC Network is set to launch next year which hopefully will make us SU fans a lot happier. I sure hope I won't be on their "blackout list" for that channel. I get the BIG network, SEC network and PAC 12 network so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've done the radio thing so far this year, but it just isn't the same. I'm looking forward to my first TV game versus Ucon.

Its not really clear that the acc network means all games will be non streamed. its not even a given that the network will exist in all markets.
That is exactly what I am afraid of

I feel like I’ve been unable to watch a lot more games since we joined the ACC, compared to the previous years in the Big East. Thought it would be figured out by now. Seems like in 2019, every game should be televised.

What was life like while we were still in the BE?

Early season games were available to Time-Warner subscribers in NYS only. If you lived out of state you were SOL.

At least every game is now available nationwide on one platform or another.

What will the ACC network look like, exactly? An actual TV channel? Currently all the SU games I stream from Watch ESPN all are listed as “ACC Network.” Also branded as ACC Network content is the extremely amateur student pregame production. Is this the content we get once the network goes live? If so, that will be extraordinarily underwhelming. What specifically changes in August 2019.

What will the ACC network look like, exactly? An actual TV channel? Currently all the SU games I stream from Watch ESPN all are listed as “ACC Network.” Also branded as ACC Network content is the extremely amateur student pregame production. Is this the content we get once the network goes live? If so, that will be extraordinarily underwhelming. What specifically changes in August 2019.

It will replace either ESPNNews or ESPN Classic.

I certainly feel your pain my friend. I don't know where you are situated, but I am in Ontario and even with Dish Network and the Sports Package I only get 16 games on TV this season (ESPN channels and CBS). Games on the Regional Sports Channels are all blacked out for me. Watch ESPN is not available up here and the streaming sites I have used in the past are either not carrying the games this year or I am unable to get them loaded. When we were in the Big East I got almost every game. Very frustrating indeed.

Now, the ACC Network is set to launch next year which hopefully will make us SU fans a lot happier. I sure hope I won't be on their "blackout list" for that channel. I get the BIG network, SEC network and PAC 12 network so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've done the radio thing so far this year, but it just isn't the same. I'm looking forward to my first TV game versus Ucon.
You should use a VPN. That way you can use the ESPN app.

Yes it will be an actual channel. And almost every athletic event at all ACC schools will be available on the espn app, under the ACC network extra you watch currently.

Thanks. I guess that means it won’t really be any different. Since they can only show one game at a time on the physical channel, still 80% of these games will still be streaming app only, just like today.

I think its been fine getting NC State in the night slot is all I expected/demanded.

We have a great spot this week for an expected blowout that will help with voters if we play well its not nooned on an RSN.

I had to watch Wagner on my desktop everything else had TV.

The ACC and SEC have polar opposite contracts SEC teams hate all the night games we hate all nooners. Having the Dome I'd rather have the problem of too many night games.

Thanks. I guess that means it won’t really be any different. Since they can only show one game at a time on the physical channel, still 80% of these games will still be streaming app only, just like today.
I don't know about that. The ACC Network is being created based on what was done for the SEC Network and the SEC Network has 2 physical channels, so it can show 2 games simultaneously.

I would expect the same for the ACC Network.

What was life like while we were still in the BE?

Early season games were available to Time-Warner subscribers in NYS only. If you lived out of state you were SOL.

At least every game is now available nationwide on one platform or another.
I don't know an exact percentage or anything, but when we were in the BE, I could watch way more games on SNY channel. I remember being way happier with how many games I was able to see, and it didn't freeze or skip every second. I won't even get into how once the acc starts how I hate the acc announcers and bo jangles commercials so much. Ok, I feel better now.

No complaints. No need to have to go to some sports bar to find some ESPN FullCourt early cupcake game because locally (B10 area) I can’t get NESN, SNY, or something else small potatoes. Everything is right at my fingertips now.

I don't know an exact percentage or anything, but when we were in the BE, I could watch way more games on SNY channel. I remember being way happier with how many games I was able to see, and it didn't freeze or skip every second. I won't even get into how once the acc starts how I hate the acc announcers and bo jangles commercials so much. Ok, I feel better now.
This. Way more coverage when we were in the BE. I've lived in Illinois for almost 25 years, and with DirecTV sports pack I was always able to get early games (even exhibition games) covered by TW on SNY or other channels. Since the ACC move, I feel like we've regressed 10 yrs. Hope the launch of ACC Network changes things...

I guess it depends on your perspective. I moved from Syracuse in 1987 and lived outside of Atlanta for 11 years. Only got to see the nationwide broadcasts during that time and the local CBS affiliate would often pre-empt college basketball on Saturday afternoons to show In the Heat of the Night reruns - I'm totally serious about that. Sure, I'd prefer all games to be on tv, but I'm just glad we've gotten to the point when I can live in Kansas and have access to watch every game in some way. I do hope and think the ACC network will result in our "computer" games moving to tv. I have to think they would grab as many of the power school ACC games as they can that the national networks don't pick up. And while I don't mind watching games on the internet, what happened Tuesday night was unacceptable and beyond frustrating with going back to the pregame show constantly.

For those residing in the United States, if you have internet, a TV and you have cable/dish/directTv through which you get ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNNews you may want to consider buying a Roku device (or some other equivalent device) and hooking that up to your TV.

Since I have a Roku device I will speak to that (but I am sure something similar to what I am about to explain could be done through an Amazon firestick tv). The Roku only costs like $30 - $40 and once hooked up you add the ESPN app to it, then just sign in one time through a computer to the ESPN site to activate it and you can watch what are now ACC Network Extra games all you want as long as the game isn't being carried on a local cable/dish channel. You can also watch re-runs of the games (even those that were blacked out initially due to it being carried on a local channel) for a few days after as well.

Once the actual linear Network starts next August, not sure if it will work the same since either your sports package will need to include that linear channel (like mine does now with the SEC Network) or you might then have to consider going with Sling TV which can be added to a Roku as well. At this time Sling TV Orange includes ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3 with its basic package for $25. Once the linear channel is up I am sure that will be included with the Sports package which currently has ESPNU, ESPNews, SEC Network, SEC Network +, and NBA TV for an additional $5. For my purposes, Sling with the Sports package is enough so I would just drop the cable subscription entirely but like myself, you may find you have different household needs that require you to keep at least the basic cable subscription. ;)

Hope I haven't confused the situation even more.

Cheers,
Neil

SNY bought most off the rights from TW. TW bought the rights from the league.. SNY did not produce the games.

CW buys the fball from the league.

the ACC games are a separate contract from the non league i would suppose.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I moved from Syracuse in 1987 and lived outside of Atlanta for 11 years. Only got to see the nationwide broadcasts during that time and the local CBS affiliate would often pre-empt college basketball on Saturday afternoons to show In the Heat of the Night reruns - I'm totally serious about that. Sure, I'd prefer all games to be on tv, but I'm just glad we've gotten to the point when I can live in Kansas and have access to watch every game in some way. I do hope and think the ACC network will result in our "computer" games moving to tv. I have to think they would grab as many of the power school ACC games as they can that the national networks don't pick up. And while I don't mind watching games on the internet, what happened Tuesday night was unacceptable and beyond frustrating with going back to the pregame show constantly.
Hard to believe there was once a time that I had to sit in my car at 1 am to listen to a very static Great Alaskan Shootout.

Other than 1 section of CT which apparently is at the end of the earth, I have seen more Cuse games on my big tv in the ACC than in the BE.

Of those I can’t watch on he big screen, it’s on my iPad.

Those were not available in the BE.

Why bck in the day, like the YOM, we only got the big games and some BE.

People need to stop complaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom