Syrcause vs Pitt just our passing plays | Syracusefan.com

Syrcause vs Pitt just our passing plays

SAD!
Would love to have seen what Luke Benson would have done with that pass If it had come at the 1:26 mark of this video. It looked like he was ready for the ball and then poised to turn on his after burners. That’s one fast dude.

Thanks for this. Tommy definitely holds the ball but man the line was BAD. Servais is usually our best lineman, he really struggled to. Last week it was the interior lineman who played poorly. this week it was Bergeron and Servais. They got beat by speed rushers over and over. I can’t see a scenario were Cavanaugh comes back next year.

IMO 4 of those sacks were on Tommy. Our OL is far from mediocre but this running for his life narrative is a false one. Also I thought Servais was overrated going into last year. Then he went out and had a really bad season. This year has been more of the same. He seems to be worse since he lost weight and became the size of a TE.

On the 1st sack looks like Benson is open over the middle and Taj is open on the little hitch route, gotta see the ball thrown on the run.

One other observation from that video is the WR blocking is still poor when we throw the WR screens.

some things I notice:
Pitt causes a lot of havoc only rushing 4
Servais was awful
Anytime Pitt brought extra pressure 5/6 they mostly blew everything up
3 sacks TD holds the ball to long
TD refuses to look at a second options
Nykiem misses or can’t hold blocks on 2 blown up wr screens
3x RB flares out for swing pass - wide open - and is ignored
TD panicked and butchers screen pass INT, it was open, throw way behind
1 swing pass completion, safety made a good play; read and tackle
Rex is way off about 75% of his throws. 3 of every 4 are just bad
couple times pressure is evident and we don’t check out of play. WR patterns are too deep on these but maybe it’s a long situation I wasnt sure

Thanks for this. Tommy definitely holds the ball but man the line was BAD. Servais is usually our best lineman, he really struggled to. Last week it was the interior lineman who played poorly. this week it was Bergeron and Servais. They got beat by speed rushers over and over. I can’t see a scenario were Cavanaugh comes back next year.
This is why Dino says he needs to watch the tape. As you said last week it was the guards... this week the tackles. Between last year and two games this year Syracuse has given up 65 sacks. Let that number sink in. Its not all on the oline but they are a significant part of the problem.

there were moments where we ran an offense and then we mixed up play calling and the oline blew up and suddenly chasing again. At least there were 5-6 runs that looked like a running play should. Every pass cant be hope i can get it away in 2 secs cause the DBs are gonna play press on that and if the first guy is not open you are dead. even then Rex had guys when he threw quick and didnt hit them.

Still when you are blocking 6 on 4 it cant be QB pressure 75% of the time.

This is why Dino says he needs to watch the tape. As you said last week it was the guards... this week the tackles. Between last year and two games this year Syracuse has given up 65 sacks. Let that number sink in. Its not all on the oline but they are a significant part of the problem.

What is the one constant on the field between those 2 games and the games last year?

You watch that first half and nothing really that off on the QB play. but the tackles cant get beat first move so often and we have no WR that get off the press.

some things I notice:
Servais was awful
couple times pressure is evident and we don’t check out of play. WR patterns are too deep on these but maybe it’s a long situation I wasnt sure

Going back to last year Tommy has had a TE dump down or a RB flare open on at least a third if not half the sacks he takes. Pitt killed us with those throws and we could have reciprocated and forced them to put a LB on a RB leaving more openings elsewhere. Tommy doesn't even look for it. The line hurt us but he leaves those out there so often. Even on the long incompletions it's there. You have a guy who is great in space in Jordan and ask him to run HB dives and don't throw it to him when he is Wide open.

some things I notice:
Servais was awful
Aside from that, they did great lol

What is the one constant on the field between those 2 games and the games last year?
Oz that is why I said it's not all on the oline but to ignore the sacks and the run game numbers as well makes the assessment of the issues on offense almost a personal thing. It's not just the QB. I said yesterday that the whole offense is an issue right now from play calls, to QB, to oline and WRs and RBs.

On the 1st sack looks like Benson is open over the middle and Taj is open on the little hitch route, gotta see the ball thrown on the run.

One other observation from that video is the WR blocking is still poor when we throw the WR screens.
The pass out there was also slow as hell.

some things I notice:
Servais was awful

Perhaps not having the smallest WR on the team be the lead blocker on these WR screens would be an idea Babers and Gilbert should look into. Unbelievable

The play Devito gets hurt.

Using the RB as an outlet instead of a blocker would have helped. At the very least two of the blitzers from the left (24 and 14) would have had to think about coverage vs rushing.

The line gets destroyed but we seem to have too many pass plays that take awhile to develop which is a recipe for disaster.

Going back to last year Tommy has had a TE dump down or a RB flare open on at least a third if not half the sacks he takes. Pitt killed us with those throws and we could have reciprocated and forced them to put a LB on a RB leaving more openings elsewhere. Tommy doesn't even look for it. The line hurt us but he leaves those out there so often. Even on the long incompletions it's there. You have a guy who is great in space in Jordan and ask him to run HB dives and don't throw it to him when he is Wide open.
It looked like the hit he took that knocked him out of the game the first time he had Benson wide open, looked at him, pump faked, and then ate it.

It looked like an easy pass to Benson in the flat. No idea why he didn't take it. Pretty clearly didn't work out well to hang on to the ball.

It looked like the hit he took that knocked him out of the game the first time he had Benson wide open, looked at him, pump faked, and then ate it.

It looked like an easy pass to Benson in the flat. No idea why he didn't take it. Pretty clearly didn't work out well to hang on to the ball.

Something else I wonder is if Tommy being only 6-2 hurts him. Obviously being 6-4/ 6-5 isn't a requirement to be a good qb. That said with him being under fire and not trusting his reads or not having those natural instincts you get from top QBs, throw in the fact his field of view isn't the greatest and now it adds another challenge. Factor in the pocket collapsing quickly and it's even harder to trust making those throws.

The slant is also open at the top for a first down. Benson over the middle is the throw but even Taj bottom screen might make the sticks if ball gets to him

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200921-232940.png
    Screenshot_20200921-232940.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20200921-233006.png
    Screenshot_20200921-233006.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 121

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17