Talent Level and Expectations with Babers | Syracusefan.com

Talent Level and Expectations with Babers

javadoc

All American
Trying to assess where we are and what we can expect the first few years.

From what I can tell, a Babers team is likely to win more than half the time against teams with similar, and perhaps slightly better, talent. It should drub a team with lesser talent. It can make teams with much better talent sweat. How do we stack up talent-wise?

I hope that we beat the living heck out of Colgate, as we should. Really run it up as fast as possible, and get time for guys down the depth chart. I would think that we should also beat UConn solidly. Wake and BC are probably comparable in overall talent, and maybe NC State. I think we are behind everyone else, but not sure how far behind Pitt, USF, Louisville, VT.

I'm pleased with the recruiting so far this year, but I wonder what would happen if our O goes gonzo and some high-end WR's start to express interest. Do we stick by our accepted commitments? Is there any history of how Babers handles that scenario?

I think we beat Colgate, UConn, Wake Forest, BC, for sure. USF, probably. Think we can beat NC State and Pitt. Louisville, I wouldn't be surprised by an upset. Don't know anything about Va. Tech, so I'll say we beat the living sht out of them because, well, why not? No go with Clemson, ND, and Florida State, though I don't think we get embarrassed.

I'd think he'll keep it fairly vanilla vs. Gate. He won't want to give away much vs. a really important Friday night game vs. L'Vile (yes that's L'VILE...not Ville. Their program is Vile). Granted they can watch a ton of BG film to prepare, but we have totaly different personel with different strengths and weaknesses. That being said, I would think winning by 3-4 t.ds should be expected vs. Colgate.

I just look at how many games last year we were competitive in until the end. Babers system neutralizes superior talent, which to me, means that if the games were played in a vacuum, we are even with Louisville, and better than NC state for that 3rd spot behing Clemson and FSU. It also means we should beat Colgate, Wake, BC, Uconn, USF, and NC State

All in all here is my if they played in a vacuum breakdown

Should beat:
Colgate
USF
Uconn
Wake
BC
NC State (Not sure if they go in this category, but we get them at home)

Toss up:
Pitt
Va Tech
Louisville

Not there yet:
FSU
Clemson
ND

So I'll go ahead and say if they played in the Dyson Dome, they finish with a record of 7-5.

I think we beat Colgate, UConn, Wake Forest, BC, for sure. USF, probably. Think we can beat NC State and Pitt. Louisville, I wouldn't be surprised by an upset. Don't know anything about Va. Tech, so I'll say we beat the living sht out of them because, well, why not? No go with Clemson, ND, and Florida State, though I don't think we get embarrassed.
Cubs, I take it you feel pretty good about the staff these days?

Unfortunately I think a lot of us are underestimating USF. They should be fielding a very competitive team this year. As many of our games with them, I think this will be a battle.

Think Tech's closer to a lay up than USF

Not to mention USF returns a lot of their offense that pummeled Temple last year. Flowers and their premier back included.

Yep. Really like the S&C staff. Steven's become MUCH quicker, and faster, without losing much strength. I suspect a lot of the kids have improved in like manner.
Interesting note. Thanks for the insight.

USF may be tougher than the ville. USF is veteran and deep, fast and strong. I know the ville is talented too, but a soph qb in a raucous dome ona Friday night has me fired up.

Let's not forget that Dino himself doesn't expect the offense to have the system completely down until midway through the 2017 season. I'm tempering my expectations.

Yep. Really like the S&C staff. Steven's become MUCH quicker, and faster, without losing much strength. I suspect a lot of the kids have improved in like manner.

Very interesting insight and I think a much, much bigger partt of what we see on the field than most of us here give it credit for. Coaches who run great programs (just a note: I'm not talking about morally great -- I think those days are gone in big-time college athletics, but I digress -- but simply programs that seem to win big annually) do all those little things that we don't talk about. We focus on recruits (and primarily stars for most posters here) and on-field results. But all those measures to instill discipline off the field (film room included) and lighting the fire to drive these kids to success in terms of S&C (as well as the philosophy of the S&C program to begin with) make a huge difference on saturdays in the fall.

Even something as simple as keeping kids in the program is huge in terms of depth so if there are a litany of non-qualifiers, academic casualties, suspensions and dismissals due to academics ... those things play huge roles. Assembling a great staff and replacing those guys who move on with quality coaches, etc.

My theory is that coaches who struggle still know quite a bit about football but struggle to juggle all the aspects of being the head guy. A proven head coach like Babers likely has a leg up in that department.

So that's a long-winded way of saying I love to hear the report quoted above and that I really think if Babers is the guy we think he is, we'll see some evidence of that quickly. It may not amount to the wins we're hoping for, but I really do think this team should threaten 6 wins this season.

Unfortunately I think a lot of us are underestimating USF. They should be fielding a very competitive team this year. As many of our games with them, I think this will be a battle.

Think Tech's closer to a lay up than USF

Agreed. They physically beat us last year especially with the run game.

Agreed. They physically beat us last year especially with the run game.

Actually I just thought USF played as a team (and they really needed the win to turn their season around) and used the hot muggy weather against us and just looked faster than us because of it. If I recall our guys just looked way too winded too early in the game.

THAT isn't going to happen this year...I would be extremely surprised if our guys, either on offense or defense, is ever out winded/conditioned by the other team. From what I've learned, especially starting in year 2, opposing teams will have to beat us on teamwork (to react & overcome the up tempo speed of Babers offense), talent and especially depth, but not conditioning.

Let's not forget that Dino himself doesn't expect the offense to have the system completely down until midway through the 2017 season. I'm tempering my expectations.

Don't believe he needs the full system completely down to start winning some games. He didn't need that long at his two previous stops. Consider how much the offense jumped at E Illinois in the first year, and how much at BGSU in the first half Babers' first season there (even after losing his starting QB).

SU's 2015 team had to use a true frosh QB, then a walk-on QB; and has an exceptionally young defense. How much of any system did that young group have completely down? Still, they beat Wake and BC, lost close games to VA and Pitt, and covered the spread vs LSU and Clemson. Babers' 2016 team has 8 starters back on defense and all the skill players back on offense. The team will be better on both sides of the ball than in 2015, with enough offense installed to win games. Looking for 7 or 8 wins and a bowl.

Don't believe he needs the full system completely down to start winning some games. He didn't need that long at his two previous stops. Consider how much the offense jumped at E Illinois in the first year, and how much at BGSU in the first half Babers' first season there (even after losing his starting QB).

SU's 2015 team had to use a true frosh QB, then a walk-on QB; and has an exceptionally young defense. How much of any system did that young group have completely down? Still, they beat Wake and BC, lost close games to VA and Pitt, and covered the spread vs LSU and Clemson. Babers' 2016 team has 8 starters back on defense and all the skill players back on offense. The team will be better on both sides of the ball than in 2015, with enough offense installed to win games. Looking for 7 or 8 wins and a bowl.

From your keyboard to . . . . .

Actually I just thought USF played as a team (and they really needed the win to turn their season around) and used the hot muggy weather against us and just looked faster than us because of it. If I recall our guys just looked way too winded too early in the game.

THAT isn't going to happen this year...I would be extremely surprised if our guys, either on offense or defense, is ever out winded/conditioned by the other team. From what I've learned, especially starting in year 2, opposing teams will have to beat us on teamwork (to react & overcome the up tempo speed of Babers offense), talent and especially depth, but not conditioning.

My recollection was that their running backs were not hit within three or four yards beyond the LOS.

We just could not stop the Bulls that day.

I agree - it seems that the Orange will be better conditioned this fall.

If you're setting the line at 7.5, I'll take the under.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom