Talent/Perspective | Syracusefan.com

Talent/Perspective

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
- First of all, obviously thrilled the boys got the W! Momentum was sucked out of the building in the 3rd and early 4th Q.

- REALLY impressed with Carter, Newsome, Ratliff-Williams, and Williams. Just think if we had those types of guys on offense!! Those guys were beasts and I can’t believe their coaching staff disrupted the momentum by trying all this trickery especially on 3rd down. So dumb. Those guys were destroying our defense. That’s talent. Our guys were whiffing, bouncing off, or being carried in 1-on-1 situations. Not debatable. There is no doubt in my mind that if they just stuck to what was working they would’ve beat us up badly.

-Attacking their frosh/backup corners was huge. Devito’s accuracy is excellent on some of those throws. Would like to see more crossing routes next game but not sure we have the WR personnel to deal with NC St running those types of plays.

Melifanwu was excellent. Scoop and Cordy god no. Young talent on D looks good they just need to get stronger.

I think this was a good W. UNC skill players were VERY good. Their OCoordinator messed it all up for them. Outside of ECU they have performed better than their record. Mentally we were strong to come back and play well especially after the DeVito INT in OT. They got some good players back today. Bottom line is that every game is going to be tight. We still don’t have the offensive talent to be putting games away and enough playmakers on D to be able to win games handily against teams with big and fast skill players. Again, imagiine SU with Newsome, Ratliff-Williams, Carter, and Williams...lights out! On to NC St.!

Last edited:
UNC has talent for sure. Their fans have a right to be dumbfounded at sitting on just one win.

That being said, it was very eye opening how our playmakers looked to constantly have their man beat and/or be open with room to run when Devito started scanning the field and throwing darts.

UNC has talent for sure. Their fans have a right to be dumbfounded at sitting on just one win.

That being said, it was very eye opening how our playmakers looked to constantly have their man beat and/or be open with room to run when Devito started scanning the field and throwing darts.

I thought it took some good ball placement though from DeVito. They had a step on guys but not like the separation was huge, IMO. Even on the TD to Custis...great throw and catch but if the guy turns around instead of holding Custis’ jersey then he may have a breakup or INT.

The best athlets on the field were like every game this year on the other side of the field. We dont get much separation at the WR spot and our RB go down on hand tackles. when UNC gets into space we had issues and we never seem to get into space.

The best athlets on the field were like every game this year on the other side of the field. We dont get much separation at the WR spot and our RB go down on hand tackles. when UNC gets into space we had issues and we never seem to get into space.

Their OCoordinator and DeVito won the game for us. Can’t believe they tried that trickery stuff. It was men against boys doing what they were doing with Newsome, Carter, etc.

I think we have better talent at WR than we think.

We’ll see. Butler is meh at best. Taj looks good just needs to get stronger and bigger obviously. Nykiem looks solid. Custis is good at jump balls and straight-line stuff but doesn’t give you anything else. I wouldn’t hesitate to trade our WRs for Newsome and their youngins who were making plays. We were making plays against backup/frosh corners late in the game let’s not forget.

- First of all, obviously thrilled the boys got the W! Momentum was sucked out of the building in the 3rd and early 4th Q.

- REALLY impressed with Carter, Newsome, Ratliff-Williams, and Williams. Just think if we had those types of guys on offense!! Those guys were beasts and I can’t believe their coaching staff disrupted the momentum by trying all this trickery especially on 3rd down. So dumb. Those guys were destroying our defense. That’s talent. Our guys were whiffing, bouncing off, or being carried in 1-on-1 situations. Not debatable. There is no doubt in my mind that if they just stuck to what was working they would’ve beat us up badly.

-Attacking their frosh/backup corners was huge. Devito’s accuracy is excellent on some of those throws. Would like to see more crossing routes next game but not sure we have the WR personnel to deal with NC St running those types of plays.

Melifanwu was excellent. Scoop and Cordy god no. Young talent on D looks good they just need to get stronger.

I think this was a good W. UNC skill players were VERY good. Their OCoordinator messed it all up for them. Outside of ECU they have performed better than their record. Mentally we were strong to come back and play well especially after the DeVito INT in OT. They got some good players back today. Bottom line is that every game is going to be tight. We still don’t have the offensive talent to be putting games away and enough playmakers on D to be able to win games handily against teams with big and fast skill players. Again, imagiine SU with Newsome, Ratliff-Williams, Carter, and Williams...lights out! On to NC St.!
Our WRs started looking better when Devito started to throw it where they could go get it, rather than having to make adjustments late in their routes.

say what we want but the windows that ED had to throw into were very small.

Right. Except for that throw to Neal I think in the flat which he completely messed up. DeVito had some small windows too but his accuracy is very good. DeVito’s accuracy and their dumb guy calling plays won the game for us.

I thought it took some good ball placement though from DeVito. They had a step on guys but not like the separation was huge, IMO. Even on the TD to Custis...great throw and catch but if the guy turns around instead of holding Custis’ jersey then he may have a breakup or INT.
The NC DB covering Custis should have been flagged a couple times for hanging on his jersey.

Our WRs started looking better when Devito started to throw it where they could go get it, rather than having to make adjustments late in their routes.

True. We lose with Dungey easily. Still, it takes a very good QB and arm talent to make those plays. Fortunately Tommy delivered and their offensive coordinator did what he did.

We have speedy/shifty WRs and a legit jump ball guy.

We don’t have guys who are going to make a mediocre QB look good. We do have guys that will look good with a good QB.

Couple that with scheme, and a good QB can light it up with these WRs. The scheme will also gas the defense if we can’t move the chains and put points on the board.

Therein lies the problem with Dungey being so mediocre lately.

The NC DB covering Custis should have been flagged a couple times for hanging on his jersey.

I’m aware. It was one of their backup DBs. Even on that TD I’m shocked they didn’t throw a flag.

We’ll see. Butler is meh at best. Taj looks good just needs to get stronger and bigger obviously. Nykiem looks solid. Custis is good at jump balls and straight-line stuff but doesn’t give you anything else. I wouldn’t hesitate to trade our WRs for Newsome and their youngins who were making plays. We were making plays against backup/frosh corners late in the game let’s not forget.

If we start TD going forward I would like to revisit this conversation at the end of the year. On offense I do not believe we lack enough talent at RB or WR to win at this level on a regular basis. If we struggle with talent on offense right now I think it is on the O-Line.

If we start TD going forward I would like to revisit this conversation at the end of the year. On offense I do not believe we lack enough talent at RB or WR to win at this level on a regular basis. If we struggle with talent on offense right now I think it is on the O-Line.

Definitely worth revisiting. I’m not trying to battle you but it’s just that we obviously see things differently in terms of ‘talent’ or NFL talent shall I say. The fact that you totally discredit like 3 or 4 guys on UNC who completely outclass our offensive guys speaks volumes.

Definitely worth revisiting. I’m not trying to battle you but it’s just that we obviously see things differently in terms of ‘talent’ or NFL talent shall I say. The fact that you totally discredit like 3 or 4 guys on UNC who completely outclass our offensive guys speaks volumes.

I think you hit the nail on the head on the arguement we are having. There is a difference between NFL talent and College talent. NFL talent doesn't always win in college and college talent doesn't always get a chance in the NFL. I think our talent plays well in college and can beat NFL talent in college. We have a scheme where we do not need NFL talent to beat other teams as Dino has shown. That is what we need here at Syracuse because we will not get NFL skill talent on a regular basis.

I think you hit the nail on the head on the arguement we are having. There is a difference between NFL talent and College talent. NFL talent doesn't always win in college and college talent doesn't always get a chance in the NFL. I think our talent plays well in college and can beat NFL talent in college. We have a scheme where we do not need NFL talent to beat other teams as Dino has shown. That is what we need here at Syracuse because we will not get NFL skill talent on a regular basis.

I agree with this. Dino’s system here in Syracuse is perfect. We can’t outplay or outphysical teams with NFL systems. We won’t get those types of players. But, until we still keep upgrading the talent, games are going to be tight. You start getting the kinds of UNC skill players on SU then look out.

They had a couple of great athletes but the talent difference wasn’t much if any at all. We won the game. We had 1 more 1st down. We outgained them in total yardage and we averaged more than a yard more per play. We also had the dominant punter. Both teams made some bonehead plays and calls.

They had a couple of great athletes but the talent difference wasn’t much if any at all. We won the game. We had 1 more 1st down. We outgained them in total yardage and we averaged more than a yard more per play. We also had the dominant punter. Both teams made some bonehead plays and calls.

Of course you’re going to quote stats. Momentum is a huge thing. DeVito saved us as well as their play caller. I could not BELIEVE the calls immediately after how they were gashing us with their playmakers. Going with trickery right after just bully-balling us. They were either running past, carrying, or discarding our tacklers. Then a bizarre trickery call would occur. We made a couple of bad calls too but in random circumstances and not after creating any sort of big momentum or yardage. Definitely advantage in the punting game and them having two backup corners in there today cannot be overstated. But, only a blind man would fail to see that Newsome, Ratliff-Williams, Williams, etc. were the best athletes/talents on the field today.

Part of that is good play on our part but I am pretty sure I heard that both starting corners and best starting linebacker did not play. That also makes a difference.

Part of that is good play on our part but I am pretty sure I heard that both starting corners and best starting linebacker did not play. That also makes a difference.

Yup. Huge factor. It’s a testament to their talent, IMO. With those key players out as well as bringing in guys back from suspension; with Dungey playing we lose. DeVito saved us as well as those boneheaded trickery calls by their playcaller zapping all the momentum they had going.

Of course you’re going to quote stats. Momentum is a huge thing. DeVito saved us as well as their play caller. I could not BELIEVE the calls immediately after how they were gashing us with their playmakers. Going with trickery right after just bully-balling us. They were either running past, carrying, or discarding our tacklers. Then a bizarre trickery call would occur. We made a couple of bad calls too but in random circumstances and not after creating any sort of big momentum or yardage. Definitely advantage in the punting game and them having two backup corners in there today cannot be overstated. But, only a blind man would fail to see that Newsome, Ratliff-Williams, Williams, etc. were the best athletes/talents on the field today.

I said they had a few great athletes. It’s a team game though and our talent on the field today was equal or better. As great as those athletes were for unc we still gained a full yard+ more than those athletes.

I said they had a few great athletes. It’s a team game though and our talent on the field today was equal or better. As great as those athletes were for unc we still gained a full yard+ more than those athletes.

Today the better team won. Under no circumstances would I say we had better or equal talent. You’re convieniently forgetting that they had backup corners starting and missing their big LB too. I mean I’m certainly happy they won but my eyes don’t deceive me. I was giddy as hell when they started calling trick plays instead of doing what they were doing. Unfathomable, really. That OC at least should be handed a pink slip on the tarmac at the Syracuse airport.

Not singling you out just wanna jump in this convo and bring up the point that’s next year we have a stud 4* RB and WR coming in and starting that are both redshirting right now. Technically 2 4* WR’s...Hendrix and Jackson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom