Talk to me about reception distribution | Syracusefan.com

Talk to me about reception distribution

Scooch

Living Legend
I don't know what to make of these stats.

Sean Riley was our top receiver last year, with 64 catches (4.9/game), or 24% of all completions. This year, Riley is averaging a full reception less per game (3.8, 17% of completions).

Nykeim Johnson had 3.2 catches per game last season, or 15% of all completions. This year... 2.0 catches per game (9%).

We had to replace Jamal Custis's production (3.9 catches/game, 19%), and we seem to have done that by throwing a ton to Tristan Jackson (5.4 catches/game, 24%). But we've slashed receptions to three of our four most prolific pass catchers from last season (Harris is down from 3.1/game to 2.6/game).

Keep in mind, we are actually averaging more pass completions per game this year than we did last year: 22.3 vs. 20.8.

Sooo... what gives? Injuries that aren't being reported? Change of OC philosophy?

I'm the first to admit that I'm no Xs and Os savant, but given how poor the OL has played, it seems to me that quick outs to Riley would be an ideal way to settle DeVito and keep the defense at bay.

It's all so perplexing how we're utilizing our resources this season.

Custis made teams play safety over the top and so far teams have worried about that with Jackson nearly as much

I don't know how much of a factor this is, but Dungey forced a lot of teams to play zone to account for his ability to improvise and hurt teams with his running. Riley's speed and quickness is a big asset against zone coverage. This year, team's are playing press man coverage on most passing downs. I would guess that this is limiting Riley's ability to get open quickly off the LOS.

Change of QB. Devito tends to see Jackson, and not the others.
Tristan is his clear favorite. I expect TD to have a better season in 2020, thanks to an improved line and experience. An extra second will allow him to look for an alternative receiver. If nobody’s open he’ll be wiser in throwing the ball away or running.

I wonder if the UNC QB transfer would be game to join the Orangemen. Worst case he’d be the leader for his final season with an opportunity to push/jumpTD his first 2 years on the hill. There may be easier playing opportunities for him elsewhere...

Seems like they’re trying to involve Nykiem more but good question.

Last edited:
The oline can't be ignored here (I know, big surprise). I think TD locks on more because he has no confidence he'll have enough time to go through progressions. I also think TD is reluctant to look short, which is where Riley made a living last year.

I have seen people mention that TD prefers Jackson over Harris etc and I understand that they did get a lot of reps over the summer etc but I don’t see many mentioning their alignment as the reason. Jackson is primarily lined up on right side which is obviously the direction that TD is much more comfortable throwing as opposed to the left side and I feel like that’s the primary reason. If the pocket breaks down and he is able to allude the rushers he always goes right (easier for right handed throwers ofcourse) if still trying to pass outside the pocket.

TD appears to less accurate/confident on the throws to the left side in live situations facing a pass rush so hopefully he can improve on this so teams aren’t able to cheat as much towards our right side.

Didn’t Riley get a lot of WR screen throws? I haven’t seen our WR blocking as a strength so far this year, maybe that’s why?

Vs FSU Tommy had a handful of off throws towards Taj Harris - they just cannot seem to connect.

Whether it's timing, the side of the field he is on, or if Taj has given up on a play, there have been many attempts, just few connections

TD looks for the long ball first (Jackson) and everything else after. He clearly is not going through his progressions fast enough, holds the ball too long and the crappy OL is definitely not helping those issues.
HCDB has said repeatedly that the timing is off between his QB and his receivers as a result of people missing time and or not working hard enough during camp and he plans on finding out what the problem is in the off season.

As other posters have also mentioned, defenses seem to be playing a lot more press coverage vs. zone coverage this year which impacts the short game by clogging lanes and making it harder for Riley etc. to get off the line.

Last edited:
Didn’t Riley get a lot of WR screen throws? I haven’t seen our WR blocking as a strength so far this year, maybe that’s why?
That’s a big part of it cause Custis was a stud at this. Which is also why Jordan needs some time.

I have seen people mention that TD prefers Jackson over Harris etc and I understand that they did get a lot of reps over the summer etc but I don’t see many mentioning their alignment as the reason. Jackson is primarily lined up on right side which is obviously the direction that TD is much more comfortable throwing as opposed to the left side and I feel like that’s the primary reason. If the pocket breaks down and he is able to allude the rushers he always goes right (easier for right handed throwers ofcourse) if still trying to pass outside the pocket.

TD appears to less accurate/confident on the throws to the left side in live situations facing a pass rush so hopefully he can improve on this so teams aren’t able to cheat as much towards our right side.
This is spot-on and any non-brain-dead DC knows TD never rolls/ scrambles left. It's a major flaw of TDs and it definitely hurts the offense.

TD looks for the long ball first (Jackson) and everything else after. He clearly is not going through his progressions fast enough, holds the ball too long and the crappy OL is definitely not helping those issues.
HCDB has said repeatedly that the timing is off between his QB and his receivers as a result of people missing time and or not working hard enough during camp and he plans on finding out what the problem is in the off season.

As other posters have also mentioned, defenses seem to playing a lot more press coverage vs. zone coverage this year which impacts the shot game by clogging lanes and making it harder for Riley etc. to get off the line.
I have heard Steve Young say that after the snap a qb needs to watch where the defense goes and know where his recievers will be. If he's watching his recievers, he won't see the defense. I wonder which TD is doing?

I have heard Steve Young say that after the snap a qb needs to watch where the defense goes and know where his recievers will be. If he's watching his recievers, he won't see the defense. I wonder which TD is doing?

I think he is really struggling picking up the defensive pre-snap read and especially the blitz. Some of this is clearly coaching. We know he has the skill set just needs some more time and a QB coach with a higher upside.

Sean Riley was our top receiver last year, with 64 catches (4.9/game), or 24% of all completions. This year, Riley is averaging a full reception less per game (3.8, 17% of completions).

Nykeim Johnson had 3.2 catches per game last season, or 15% of all completions. This year... 2.0 catches per game (9%).

We had to replace Jamal Custis's production (3.9 catches/game, 19%), and we seem to have done that by throwing a ton to Tristan Jackson (5.4 catches/game, 24%). But we've slashed receptions to three of our four most prolific pass catchers from last season (Harris is down from 3.1/game to 2.6/game).

Keep in mind, we are actually averaging more pass completions per game this year than we did last year: 22.3 vs. 20.8.

Sooo... what gives? Injuries that aren't being reported? Change of OC philosophy?

I'm the first to admit that I'm no Xs and Os savant, but given how poor the OL has played, it seems to me that quick outs to Riley would be an ideal way to settle DeVito and keep the defense at bay.

Tommy doesn’t throw in the middle of the field.

So many things that make me cringe this year. It’s worrisome because I don’t want the wheels to fall off here. As in, players that are good that transfer out because lack of utilization, etc. good god I wish we were at least losing like we did in dinos first years. At least players who were going to be big parts of future offenses were involved on offense.

Tommy doesn’t throw in the middle of the field.

Are there receivers in the middle of the field? When there (few and way too far between) are I see him throw there.

One thing that I am seeing is that Tommy rarely looks past his first option on a pass. Of course, a big part of that is that he's getting hammered by the rush on practically every play.

But I seldom see his head move off his primary receiver, even on scrambles.

Just watch his head next game, and see if he's looking around, or if he's looking at just one player.

part of it is we see nothing but, nickel, dime and half dollar defenses.

the 3 & 4 man rush gets there time and time again.

part of it is we see nothing but, nickel, dime and half dollar defenses.

the 3 & 4 man rush gets there time and time again.

We see a lot of blitzes too. They have a 99% success rate. There was one against FSU where we passed to Hackett for 14 yards.

Just watch his head next game, and see if he's looking around, or if he's looking at just one player.
He’s usually looking at the ceiling after 2 seconds or more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom