Tapatalk - 4.4 rating/Forum Runner 3.1 - why replace? | Syracusefan.com

Tapatalk - 4.4 rating/Forum Runner 3.1 - why replace?

thebigeast44

Starter
I noticed the post about Tapatalk being replaced with Forum Runner. But there was no explanation. I see a lot of bad reviews in the Google store for Forum Runner. And Tapatalk has always worked well for me on Android.

Note that I never updated my Tapatalk app after reading about problems some folks were having after the developers also created a tablet pro app and made the regular one free and made changes to it - that were not positive. So I assume that may have something to do with the change.

I did note that Forum Runner claims to be actively working on the app but has not updated it in 7 months. Perhaps there are not many worthwhile alternatives?

I think a lot of folks here would appreciate a detailed explanation for the change. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am tired of dealing with Tapatalk issues, and I refuse to pay them the money to "customize" their app for this site.

Tapatalk has been absolutely amazing for me. It's made viewing this forum very enjoyable on my iphone

I really hope this forum runner is up to snuff but I trust your judgment

Is it the forum runner that costs $1.99 in the App Store?

Is it the forum runner that costs $1.99 in the App Store?

Yes. I've downloaded it, and think it is as good, possibly better than Tapatalk. But then again, I am a bit biased.

I downloaded forum runner and used it this morning and didn't have any problems at all so far. Thanks for your work Tom!

Forum runner looks good. I don't see where you can see where people have quoted your posts or liked them. I think it was called "alerts" or "notifications" in tapatalk. Can you add that feature?

Last edited:
Looks like the very original Tapatalk with the tabs up top. Like that version of Tapatalk it doesn't appear to have notifications nor the ability to remove a post from the current unread posts by swiping it. Swipe it here and it opens the thread. Also uses the bold/unbold method to mark threads read vs removing the thread from current view.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

rrlbees said:
Looks like the very original Tapatalk with the tabs up top. Like that version of Tapatalk it doesn't appear to have notifications nor the ability to remove a post from the current unread posts by swiping it. Swipe it here and it opens the thread. Also uses the bold/unbold method to mark threads read vs removing the thread from current view.

If we can't add notifications it will be useless. Not knowing when someone is quoting you would be unfortunate

Last edited:
690West said:
If we can't add notifications it will be useless. Not knowing when someone is quoting you would be unfortunate

I am getting notifications (alerts).

That's because you're the man.

Nah. It's because I went to the home screen, and clicked on settings, and then push notifications. You'll have to register (free) with forum runner.

OK - I'm going to test it out now on Android. Folks using it should let us know what OS they are using as the experience may be different for Apple or Android users. Was it tested using both before making the switch?

I'll wait to see what the consensus here is . . . have to say I am hesitant when the app has nearly as many 1 star reviews as it has 5 star reviews

Was the issue that caused it's demise only occurring on iPhones? I've had no issues on my Android.

temery said:
Nah. It's because I went to the home screen, and clicked on settings, and then push notifications. You'll have to register (free) with forum runner.

That's what I did, got the email to verify email addy. But I haven't gotten a notification yet even though I should have.,

rrlbees said:
That's what I did, got the email to verify email addy. But I haven't gotten a notification yet even though I should have.,

Yup. Me too. I'm a little confused. Is Tom going to be able to add "notifications" as a tab at some point? Or is it only push notification alerts that show up like texts all day long. Obviously hoping for the former

690West said:
Yup. Me too. I'm a little confused. Is Tom going to be able to add "notifications" as a tab at some point? Or is it only push notification alerts that show up like texts all day long. Obviously hoping for the former

I don't get any notifications. Not texts, emails or any alert.

rrlbees said:
I don't get any notifications. Not texts, emails or any alert.

I'm not getting them yet either and I registered. I would just hate for my phone to go off all day with alerts vs. being able to view all likes and quotes in one spot

I like how you can walk back through the quoted portions of posts.
It's also nice that it defaults to not including a signature.