Taurean Thompson now in the portal | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson now in the portal

Caboose

Scout Team
I know he's gone and nobody really cares about him, but man could we have used his services right about now. An immediate family member ran into her friend Ryan Blackwell the other night, and his opinion on our current woes is that it's mainly due to player defections, whether it's early departures or whatever else.

Regarding Thompson, did this dude's mother essentially destroy his basketball career? He was great while here as a freshman- a surprise essentially, then his selfish mother forces him to jump ship to Seton Hall and he gets mired in some scandal and then he disappears. Should she be proud of herself? I don't know what his current status is there- maybe he's off the team, suspended or whatever idk, but what a shame. If she left him alone I'm sure he'd be a 20 and 10 guy for us right now w his sights set on a possible NBA future. Moral of the story, leave your damn kids alone and let them make their own decisions.

Yeah our biggest issue right now is our defense which wasn’t TTs strong suit. Our offense has been ok

Defense Not his strong suit is putting it mildly. There were many times he was hardly trying. I rarely call out players but I will for lack of effort or hustle.

I know he's gone and nobody really cares about him, but man could we have used his services right about now. An immediate family member ran into her friend Ryan Blackwell the other night, and his opinion on our current woes is that it's mainly due to player defections, whether it's early departures or whatever else.

Regarding Thompson, did this dude's mother essentially destroy his basketball career? He was great while here as a freshman- a surprise essentially, then his selfish mother forces him to jump ship to Seton Hall and he gets mired in some scandal and then he disappears. Should she be proud of herself? I don't know what his current status is there- maybe he's off the team, suspended or whatever idk, but what a shame. If she left him alone I'm sure he'd be a 20 and 10 guy for us right now w his sights set on a possible NBA future. Moral of the story, leave your damn kids alone and let them make their own decisions.
A 20 and 10 guy? Come on now.

Yeah not sure I agree with much in the original post but player defections haven’t helped. It’s not THE reason we’re struggling but it has hurt.

I know many (myself included to a degree) are skeptical of this team next season as well but it would at least be interesting to see this team return largely in tact. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that marek, girard, goodine, Guerrier, Edwards, Braswell (if the shins issue gets solved) could all take a step forward and buddy, sidibe, Howard washington and JBA could contribute as well (obviously buddy will play a lot of minutes but not sure there’s a huge improvement coming from him).

there would still be plenty of question marks and I don’t know if that group gets us to 25 wins but I wouldn’t think 22 and an ok seed would be out of the question. We’ll see I guess.

20 and 10 in college is Michael Beasley at KSU / Kevin Durant at UT type of production

when i think of 20 and 10 in college, i think of a really famous syracuse player as his numbers were almost spot on to that. 22/10 (the other 2 were 25+ and 12 per game anyway but both ringless)

A 20 and 10 guy? Come on now.
When you consider how good he was as a frosh how can that be so far fetched? Ok maybe 16 and 8 is much more realistic, which would be a huge bonus to this team. Someone said his defense sucked but you'd think it would have been much better by this time in his career here. I just think it's a shame that things went so south for him after his mother apparently meddled in his affairs.

I agree that TT was a space cadet on defense, but he had a really nice offensive game for a freshman. He could make short and mid-range jumpers (which is incredibly rare for an SU big man) and had crafty post moves.

I agree that TT was a space cadet on defense, but he had a really nice offensive game for a freshman. He could make short and mid-range jumpers (which is incredibly rare for an SU big man) and had crafty post moves.
He had no sense of team basketball on either end of the floor. He was a scorer, which often meant he'd take long 2s with no one under the basket and within the first few seconds of the shot clock, but that's about it for him. I don't actually remember him passing so I can't say if he was good or bad at it, but I certainly don't remember him getting any assists...

He had no sense of team basketball on either end of the floor. He was a scorer, which often meant he'd take long 2s with no one under the basket and within the first few seconds of the shot clock, but that's about it for him. I don't actually remember him passing so I can't say if he was good or bad at it, but I certainly don't remember him getting any assists...

Yeah he wasn't much of a passer. He did shoot 55% from the field and averaged 9.2 ppg in only 17.9 minutes per game.

Who?
Not really worth the bother of looking him up. JMHO

When you consider how good he was as a frosh how can that be so far fetched? Ok maybe 16 and 8 is much more realistic, which would be a huge bonus to this team. Someone said his defense sucked but you'd think it would have been much better by this time in his career here. I just think it's a shame that things went so south for him after his mother apparently meddled in his affairs.
If he was as good as you believe, his inate talent would have propelled him to something more than the lackluster numbers he has put up since transferring.

You mean the Taurean Thompson who has gotten into 1 of Seton Hall's 13 games, and played for 4 minutes?

That guy?

If 20 and 10 means seeing the court for 20 seconds once every 10 games, I could see that...

If by someone you mean anyone who has ever watched him step on a basketball court, then yeah, "someone" said that.

If by someone you mean anyone who has ever watched him step on a basketball court, then yeah, "someone" said that.

But if JB is a great enough defensive coach to be on the Olympic staff, certainly he should be good enough to coach up Taurean Thompson I would imagine.

His numbers cratered last year. He shot 40% from the field in 27 games.

May be his mom was his real coach. She texted the SH coach like 250 times, surely most of that was during the games calling plays for her son?

He’s never been held accountable and his mother is completely out of control trying to be in control. I think he could have become a decent player at SU, but his mother was constantly in his ear during the recruiting process and after he enrolled at SU. If I remember correctly, it took forever for him to commit because he wanted SU and his mother SHall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom