Taurean Thompson | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

He's a nice player, but he's not going to produce right away. Sucks Diagne isn't here because he was going to be a skilled player. I thought we would be involved with more elite level front court talent this cycle.

To me this signals that Diagne will be 2 seasons in JUCO and thus never wind up at SU.

This kid plays more like a center judging by that video. I like how he battles and bangs underneath and he certainly isn't a string bean. I think we need to add a big with Diagne out of the picture but it seems we cooled on Keita and Banks since we landed Chukwu. Banks recruitment looks pretty open right now but with lots of southern schools involved. I have no idea what's going on with Keita. Unless we get involved with some other stud big guy late we likely end up with one of these three guys. Obviously Thompson is someone the staff thinks they can get a commit from.

To me this signals that Diagne will be 2 seasons in JUCO and thus never wind up at SU.

This kid plays more like a center judging by that video. I like how he battles and bangs underneath and he certainly isn't a string bean. I think we need to add a big with Diagne out of the picture but it seems we cooled on Keita and Banks since we landed Chukwu. Banks recruitment looks pretty open right now but with lots of southern schools involved. I have no idea what's going on with Keita. Unless we get involved with some other stud big guy late we likely end up with one of these three guys. Obviously Thompson is someone the staff thinks they can get a commit from.

The competition for him isn't exactly the who's who of college basketball. I'm sure he will end up being a solid player, I guess I just expected us to hear something soon on one of these elite 2017 guys.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Taurean-Thompson-178722

Everyone has to do 2 years of JUCO. Can't do just 1 season and transfer to a 4 year school.

Everyone has to do 2 years of JUCO. Can't do just 1 season and transfer to a 4 year school.

I understand that but some were saying "IF" its simply one class like his Coach had said he could do a semester and come to SU. I tend to think the one class in Senegal thing amounts to a CYOA for Pope John and the coach.

The competition for him isn't exactly the who's who of college basketball. I'm sure he will end up being a solid player, I guess I just expected us to hear something soon on one of these elite 2017 guys.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Taurean-Thompson-178722

2017 is 2017. We now need a replacement for Diagne before then. Too bad the Giles ship has sailed so long ago doubt we could even get him for a visit at this point. There are probably 8-10 PF and C in the top 50ish that are uncommitted. Other than Giles we have never been involved with any of them. That is what makes things tough when something changes last minute. Most of these kids have built relationships with other coaches and schools already. Its probably worth putting feelers out to them but highly unlikely anything would come of that.

2017 is 2017. We now need a replacement for Diagne before then. Too bad the Giles ship has sailed so long ago doubt we could even get him for a visit at this point. There are probably 8-10 PF and C in the top 50ish that are uncommitted. Other than Giles we have never been involved with any of them. That is what makes things tough when something changes last minute. Most of these kids have built relationships with other coaches and schools already. Its probably worth putting feelers out to them but highly unlikely anything would come of that.

I agree with everything you are saying, just with 10 ships a year the Diagne blow is tough to swallow, and has created a dissappointing situation. He's a difficult guy to make up for in recruiting. If Thompson comes comes here I doubt we use him much until 2017, unless Roberson and Coleman are both gone after this year, and if thats the case I don't see how our depth in the front court will be any better in 2016 than it is now. We will have Chukwu and Lydon at the 4 and 5 with an inexpierienced Moyer and this guy then. I know people are automatically expecting us to be elite in 2016, but a lot of that depends who comes back after this year.

I agree with everything you are saying, just with 10 ships a year the Diagne blow is tough to swallow, and has created a dissappointing situation. He's a difficult guy to make up for in recruiting. If Thompson comes comes here I doubt we use him much until 2017, unless Roberson and Coleman are both gone after this year, and if thats the case I don't see how our depth in the front court will be any better in 2016 than it is now. We will have Chukwu and Lydon at the 4 and 5 with an inexpierienced Moyer and this guy then. I know people are automatically expecting us to be elite in 2016, but a lot of that depends who comes back after this year.

I hear you and front court depth is an issue this year and possibly next year. If Roberson and Coleman are back and we bring in another big there is basically no issue plus the new big doesn't have to contribute until 2017.
If Coleman leaves which IMO is at least a strong possibility then Chukwu starts and Chino in his last year of eligibility backs him up. We would have Lydon, Moyer, Roberson to man the forward spots and possibly Battle as a 3 some of the time. That isn't bad overall.
If Roberson leaves which IMO isn't that likely we are pretty thin at the forward spot. Not good.

I would say that being at 10 ships and looking to add a big along with luring Chukwu to SU both point to Coleman planning on not being back.

I really hope the staff doesn't panic and just start bringing in big bodies being courted by low level programs rather than continuing to focus on high level recruits. It only leads to a roster of marginal players that can't compete with the ACC big boys. I get we are caught short by the Diagne situation but this is very disappointing for a program of this caliber to be scrounging for marginal kids.

I really hope the staff doesn't panic and just start bringing in big bodies being courted by low level programs rather than continuing to focus on high level recruits. It only leads to a roster of marginal players that can't compete with the ACC big boys. I get we are caught short by the Diagne situation but this is very disappointing for a program of this caliber to be scrounging for marginal kids.
Yeah, that is the fear here, isn't it? I have a touch of that uneasiness myself, but then I remind myself that these guys want JB to go out with a bang and I don't think that JB or Hop are the type to panic. If they want to bring this kid aboard, then I am excited to see what his role will be. We were involved with Juwan Durham at one point, it would seem he is a better player, I wonder why we didn't pursue him harder, or maybe he didn't suit what the staff was looking for in a big man?

Valid, but keep in mind that this kid played at St. Anthony's, and is now about to start at Brewster. He's no slouch based upon that. Doesn't mean that he's automatically high major, but it is a pretty solid indication that he's got that level of potential.

Seems injuries have nagged him throughout his career and hes still ranked in the top 80 range. High upside from what ive read, nice frame. Playing at St Ants and Brewster cant be overlooked, makes a huge difference in getting ready for college.

The star system is good but its not what matters the most with center in our system imo.

I think a big part of bigs is getting them to contribute defensively by their freshmen and soph years. Mobility lateral quickness and recovery. Fab, Dajuan and rak weren't ready for that. Keita and Forth were.

And then getting their offense flowing by their Junior sometimes senior season for around 10ppg.
Guys like Keita and Forth never developed in that department.

Those sound like easy tasks but they are not.

The center position is so key its the hardest position to score from, and the most unanimous for not being ready defensively as fresh.

Its also the BEST position to grab transfers who will be good imo. That way you get rid of the freshmen not ready factor, and they get a year to practice with the team.

Teams recruit SG,PG and SF and just let them have at it and create. Its just part of the game, Finesse and they know they will. You don't see that finesse with Bigs, due to the physical nature and its tough to balance the finesse scoring with the physicality. In alot of cases its like carrying a sword and a shield, but the shield is the weapon instead of the sword.

On top of that The physicality, size, and speed of the game really catches up with Bigs more then the guards and small forwards, because the advantage isn't like the high school level. With bigs its tough to tell who will overcome all that. Just some thoughts of mine.

Last edited:
I said it the day we got his commit but Chubaka is as important a recruit that we have landed in a very long time. Thank goodness this kid is on board. I think that with him we are going to be fine. Like this kid as a solid power forward who can also spell at the 5 hope we land him

Seems injuries have nagged him throughout his career and hes still ranked in the top 80 range. High upside from what ive read, nice frame. Playing at St Ants and Brewster cant be overlooked, makes a huge difference in getting ready for college.
Ya, they have a good relationship with the coaches at Brewster. I'm sure they've spoken (even though he hasn't been on campus yet)

I said it the day we got his commit but Chubaka is as important a recruit that we have landed in a very long time. Thank goodness this kid is on board. I think that with him we are going to be fine. Like this kid as a solid power forward who can also spell at the 5 hope we land him

Chukwu as a 3rd year sophomore with a year of experience playing our system is going to be a stud. I do think we need another big to improve pivot depth and protect against the prospect of Coleman leaving / getting injured again. Thompson looks interesting--he's not the type of skywalker we usually get, but he strikes me as a Rick Jackson-type [no frills, just gets the job done]. I'd prefer Diagne, but we could sure do worse than Thompson.

Teams like Xavier would kill to have this kid and we are going to have him here as a back up most likely and he is a very solid player so I think it would be great for depth and who knows maybe he develops and turns into a Warrick.:noidea:

Looks pretty good to me in this one. Decent feel around the basket, gets up quickly and good vertical, looks like a long wingspan too.
A few notes:

He uses both hands around the rim effectively;
He seems to have pretty good elevation;
His handle is good (quick hands);
He likes the pick and roll (30 second mark);
Don't see a lot of low post (b/b) moves (besides dunks). But he's already adept at a young age at throwing up his hands up after being called for an over-the-back block (that was pretty clean). That's a good sign -- since the throw-up move, perfected by Rak Christmas, is a traditional gesture for SU bigs called for phantom infractions. He'll be using that often if he winds up playing for SU.

Last edited:
Technically we could grab Diagne next year couldn't we?
I am not saying that is the best course of action, or one we are leaning towards, but if the problem isn't grades or schoolwork or qualifiers I don't see why not.

Not saying its a likely scenerio My guess would be grades were the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom