Class of 2015 - TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI

Jake Pickard ‏@JakePickard2015 12m
Just got offered by #Syracuse I love their intensity!
1f536.png
1f536.png

Offers include Louisville, Purdue, Rutgers, UVA, BC, Nebraska, Cincy, Syracuse

http://njfootballspot.com/2014/04/17/millburn-athlete-jake-pickard-talks-recruiting/

Millburn athlete Jake Pickard talks recruiting
ico-time.png
April 17, 2014 by Adam C
ico-comment.png
0 Comments

Class of 2015 athlete Jake Pickard
Penn State and Boston College stopped by Millburn High School on the first day of the evaluation period to see athlete Jake Pickard work out.
Pickard has emerged as one of the hottest 2015 prospects in the Garden State since adding his first offer from Louisville in February.
Penn State Quarterbacks coach Ricky Rahne and Offensive Coordinator John Donovan visited Pickard early Tuesday Morning.
“I actually visited Penn State before and they said they had liked everything that they had seen on film about me, but they had seen me as more of a tight end/defensive end spot. So, they wanted to see me run some routes. Coach Rahne and coach Donovan were here at 6:30, so I was running routes with my quarterback. They said they were very impressed and were going to show it and evaluate with coach Franklin.” he said.
Pickard said he expects to hear back from Penn State coaches on either Friday or Monday.
Boston College also continued to express their interest in Pickard when coaches stopped by on Tuesday to see him.
“They just came in. They were fighting over what side of the ball they want me to be on. They just want me at their school because they think that I can help them immediately as soon as I get there. They just wanted me to know that I’m definitely at the top of their list,” he said.
Pickard said he is interested in playing defensive end or tight end in college.
Louisville became the first school to offer Pickard in late February. He said that gave Cardinals leverage when it comes to recruiting because they were the first to offer.
“They were the first school to offer me and really start me off. They’ll definitely always have a one-up on another teams. They were the first team to decide to pull the trigger,” he said.
Since picking up his first offer in late February, Pickard has added seven offers, six of which came in the month of April. The 6’6 220-pound athlete said that once the first few schools offered, others jumped on board as well.
“I think I have always had the skill and the talent. But, it’s just that there wasn’t any sell on me at tight end, and I was a little light and a lot of schools hadn’t seen me in person. I think that once the first few offers had come in, schools realized I wasn’t as thin looking and tiny as I looked on film. That’s what I heard from schools when I finally visited in person. I think that was a deciding factor to pull the trigger.” Pickard said.
Pickard said that he has been in contact Rutgers, Purdue, and Boston College the most at this point in the recruiting process.
He added a Rutgers offer on March 8 during their junior day. Purdue offered on March 12 and Pickard visited campus two weeks later. Boston College offered when Pickard visited Chestnut Hill on March 18.
Pickard said he would like to make a decision on a school sometime in the early part of his senior season, but he is in no rush.
“I’m definitely not going to rush myself. I don’t want to end up like some of these players who end up regretting their decision and just making it really hard on the coaches and their families.” he said. “I think i’m just going to take my time. I’m not going to rush it, I’m not going to leave it until the last second, whenever it just feels right.”
Pickard stressed that he is looking for a school with good academics.
“Although I do aspire to go to the NFL, football does not last forever,” he said. “I’m going to need a degree to fall back on, a job to fall back on, and the alumni to help me get that job I can start immediately after my football career.”
Pickard said he has plans to visit Virginia on April 21 and will see Boston College, Rutgers, and Penn State in the coming weeks.

I've actually been waiting for this one to happen. I went to HS a couple of towns away from Millburn and heard about him from some friends who live in the area. I had passed on his name to the staff, but got nowhere until Coach Acosta came on board. Heard that the staff really liked his film and figured an offer was coming soon. There is definite interest in the Cuse by Jake and his family from what I've heard. Former SU player David Stevens is from the same HS as is current walk-on Alex Schoen. An unofficial visit is being planned soon.

Fits what McDonald is looking for, hybrid receivers, like Custis, Enoicy who can catch balls, but big enough to block.

DC rumor has it we have a lot of ground to make up here... We need your connections!

It is true. Very taken by UVA for example, but we can get back in this. The family likes SU and Jake knows people on campus. Coach Acosta is doing well and (assuming) he comes up to campus like he is planning to do than we can rise up in his favorite list.

I've actually been waiting for this one to happen. I went to HS a couple of towns away from Millburn and heard about him from some friends who live in the area. I had passed on his name to the staff, but got nowhere until Coach Acosta came on board. Heard that the staff really liked his film and figured an offer was coming soon. There is definite interest in the Cuse by Jake and his family from what I've heard. Former SU player David Stevens is from the same HS as is current walk-on Alex Schoen. An unofficial visit is being planned soon.

Former SU student John C. McGinley and actress Anne Hathaway are also Millburn High graduates. John C is a huge SU fan.

220px-JohnCMcGinleyByTomMorgan2008.jpg

John C McGinley Has Orange Blood

Speaking of John McGinley, there is another SU sports connection -- Hayes McGinley of SU Lax
Cool.

That 1925 Giant team was the original NY Giant football team. It featured McGinley and a couple of former All American players from Syracuse, Doc Alexander (who would become the player coach of the Giants the following year) and Jack McBride. The Giants were originally called the "All-Collegian Professional Football club".

Linkage

It is a small world sometimes.

A lot could be what position he favors. Sounds like we want him as a DE. Not certain, but I thought he preferred TE?

Its not like he went from a 5.12 to a 5.4. he went from a 5.12 to 5.16. That is for all intents and purposes the exact same number.
And still too slow for a quality TE

And still too slow for a quality TE

You might notice at the top of this thread it says TE/DE. 5.16 is plenty fast for a DE, and to be honest its pretty good for a blocking first TE too.

You might notice at the top of this thread it says TE/DE. 5.16 is plenty fast for a DE, and to be honest its pretty good for a blocking first TE too.
No TE at the NFL combine ran over a 5.0. He's a good prospect and I'm sure the coaches help him improve upon it. Just saying he needs to improve upon it to become a top contributing member of SU if he commits and where I want SU to be in the rankings.