Class of 2021 - TE Landon Morris (IL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 TE Landon Morris (IL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I kind of wish we were watching Landon Morris at WR right now instead of Sherod Johnson. I think he is talented. Nobody is recruiting from the portal at this point right? He'll get better offers eventually. But leaving when he did has to be a red flag for schools. But he can easily point to the way we are using our TE's so far this year in the offense as a explanation...and last year. sigh...

It really sucks that Baber doesn't have a brain in his head to come up with a few plays for TEs which would open this offense some. Granted GS doesn't throw the long ball well or much, which would help out throwing those 10-15 yarders to them...Who knows, maybe Benson or Mahar just might take it to the house. Morris would have been perfect for this.
Benson is very athletic and is a mismatch nightmare in some respects. I’m not sure why he isn’t utilized more.

Benson is very athletic and is a mismatch nightmare in some respects. I’m not sure why he isn’t utilized more.

Last year - our OC was a dumbass. and didn’t utilize him properly/at all.

This year - our OC was a dumbass, who finally decided to throw to him in the Albany game, and he got injured.

Not clear if LM left because of competition, his role in the offense, the OC/play-calling, etc. But what's even more curious is the staff's use of Benson. We desperately need receivers that can run short routes and outmuscle defenders. Benson has good hands, excellent size at 6-4/240, and is probably the fastest TE in the ACC. So why they're using him for ST's and blocking is an enduring mystery. I know he was hurt, but he's played in 6 games and has 4 catches ... for the year. I mean ...

Last edited:
Not clear if LM left because of competition, his role in the offense, the OC/play-calling, etc. But what's even more curious is the staff's use of Benson. We desperately need receivers that can run short routes and are strong with the ball. Benson has good hands, excellent size at 6-4/240, and is probably the fastest TE in the ACC. So why they're using him for ST's and blocking is an enduring mystery. I know he was hurt, but he's played in 6 games and has 4 catches ... for the year. I mean ...
he will most likely leave after the season if he isnt utilized.

Not clear if LM left because of competition, his role in the offense, the OC/play-calling, etc. But what's even more curious is the staff's use of Benson. We desperately need receivers that can run short routes and are strong with the ball. Benson has good hands, excellent size at 6-4/240, and is probably the fastest TE in the ACC. So why they're using him for ST's and blocking is an enduring mystery. I know he was hurt, but he's played in 6 games and has 4 catches ... for the year. I mean ...
It's because the play calling by Gilbert is pathetic.

Benson might be the most overrated player in the history of the board. Man runs well and nothing else. He isn’t a great blocker, gets jammed easily at line of scrimmage and has 0 wiggle. I get everyone wants to kill Gilbert but his use of Benson would not be on the top of my list of complaints.

Last edited:
Benson might be the lost overrated player in the history of the board. Man runs well and nothing else. He isn’t a great blocker, gets jammed easily at line of scrimmage and has 0 wiggle. I get everyone wants to kill Gilbert but his use of Benson would not be on the top of my list of complaints.
Agree with you and my issue with Benson is that he is always injured. What's up with that?

Benson might be the lost overrated player in the history of the board. Man runs well and nothing else. He isn’t a great blocker, gets jammed easily at line of scrimmage and has 0 wiggle. I get everyone wants to kill Gilbert but his use of Benson would not be on the top of my list of complaints.
Maybe if you have a TE who may not block well but is fast you try and use him to catch not just block

Agree with you and my issue with Benson is that he is always injured. What's up with that?
It looked like Benson was going to be featured in an early game. I think it was SUNY Albany. I was excited to finally see what he could do.

But he got tackled quickly on a screen and the defender got his helmet in a bad place on Benson's leg (knee?). He has been limping ever since. Not sure he is going to be 100% the rest of the season. Seems unlikely. He is playing hurt on specials but without his great speed, he is just an ordinary player.

Maybe it is bad luck. Maybe he is just injury prone. I feel bad because I think he has a lot of potential.

It has to be incredibly frustrating to be a coach or player and deal with a lingering injury most or all of the season.

It looked like Benson was going to be featured in an early game. I think it was SUNY Albany. I was excited to finally see what he could do.

But he got tackled quickly on a screen and the defender got his helmet in a bad place on Benson's leg (knee?). He has been limping ever since. Not sure he is going to be 100% the rest of the season. Seems unlikely. He is playing hurt on specials but without his great speed, he is just an ordinary player.

Maybe it is bad luck. Maybe he is just injury prone. I feel bad because I think he has a lot of potential.

It has to be incredibly frustrating to be a coach or player and deal with a lingering injury most or all of the season.
I always have some concern in the back of my head when we bring in guys that have the frames but aren't filled out - genetically not everyone is supposed to be filled out, some people are just naturally thin and that's what their frames should be. You start adding all that weight and they then become injury prone. We've seen this with project offensive linemen as well, bodies just can't handle the weight. He may be a case of that.

At the end of the day though he's fast and has good hands. Maybe makes the most sense to line him up in the slot and have him do streak routes down the middle of the field, he'll blow by Lbers no problem and has a 2-4 inch height advantage on most safeties.

Status
Not open for further replies.