Class of 2020 - TE Steven Mahar (NY) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (7/28/19) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 TE Steven Mahar (NY) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (7/28/19)

And Mahar is closer to 6’6. Definitely not 6’4. I honestly dont know exactly what Dino wants the TE to do. I think it changes for each team. It is interesting to see Lepak put up those numbers. Thanks for sharing
I think Dino wants to create match up advantages. Maher has the potential to do that.

I think Ravian Pierce would have been used more last year had he been healthier. Also he was not nearly consistent enough.
Yeah. You’re probably right.

The best part about Dino’s systems is he can get what parts he gets and still do great things with them.
This kid might end up being a nice combo TE and use Benson as a split out TE.
Love seeing Dino and staff getting new “toys” to piece together for the offense.

Fair enough. Your right on that regarding Pierce. Pierce was supposed to be the guy and while he flashed a few times it didn't seem like the position found a place in the offense.
Athletically Pierce was very capable, his problems were mental and taking stupid aggression penalties that cost us many times. Coaches had to walk a tightrope having him in the game.

I think Dino wants to create match up advantages. Maher has the potential to do that.
Winner winner,chicken dinner. Versatility at the TE spot is key. If you have a tight end who plays physical, can run block and run routes/catch contested balls, that is a lethal combination. There is no way to scheme defensively without exposing yourself to a mismatch.

This kid is athletic as hell. He's got to get stronger and refine technique, but has the attributes to be a game-breaker.

I saw Steven "Your Tearing Up" Mahar elsewhere and I've decided that will be his nickname from now on.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Your right on that regarding Pierce. Pierce was supposed to be the guy and while he flashed a few times it didn't seem like the position found a place in the offense.
The words "flash" and "flashed" give me flashbacks of a time I of this program that I would prefer to forget. I literally cringe and get douche chills when I hear or read them being used.

I have Gerg PTSD.

It's not like the coaches don't want to utilize the tight end position. They keep recruiting them ...Pierce, Hackett, that other kid from New York (I forget his name), Benson, Mahar

There would be really good depth here by now if that one kid from NY wasn't disqualified due to concussions. He was coming on strong too

I think Ravian Pierce would have been used more last year had he been healthier. Also he was not nearly consistent enough.
Or if dungey was a better and more confident passer

When he introduced himself to me in the restaurant the other night, he called himself a wide receiver.
If you check out the article on his commitment I linked to from the D&C in today's Orangeyes Daily Articles, at least right now, he thinks he is a WR.

In the Syracuse offense, a receiving TE often plays very much like a WR.

It will be interesting to see how much weight Steve gains during his career at Syracuse. With his frame, I think it will be tough for him to not get up to 240. His height will create matchup problems from day one. If he can get stronger, so that LBs have a tough time staying with him, it will make him an even tougher guy to cover.

I thinkthe bottom line is, if Dino has a good resource at his disposal, he will find a way to make use of it.

Last edited:
If you check out the article on his commitment I linked to from the D&C in today's Orangeyes Daily Articles, he thinks he is a WR. In the Syracuse offense, a TE often plays very much like a WR. If he can stay on the line and block, he just brings that more to the table.

It will be interesting to see how much weight Steve gains during his career at Syracuse. With his frame, I think it will be tough for him to not get up to 240.

Good assessment. When I saw him and his parents at Francesca's, at first I thought he might be Andre Jackson. He's a pretty big kid, has a rangy body that looks more at home on a basketball court. He's going to be an interesting prospect to follow.

We may not use the tight end much, but when we do, I’d prefer to have a kid like this in the game.

Did he commit to Syracuse University or the University of Syracuse?
Rochester is only like 80 miles away, right?

Did he commit to Syracuse University or the University of Syracuse?
Rochester is only like 80 miles away, right?
Yes, he put Syracuse University on his commit tweet. I’m sure there’s many kids that don’t know the difference that live right down the street from the Dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom