Team Attitude | Syracusefan.com

Team Attitude

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
People have commented on the poor team attitude evidenced on the field and sideline. I'm wondering if it results from watching Dino play the same horrid OL seven games in a row when the on-field evidence is that the lineup needs to be changed.

A) What evidence do you have that there are better OL waiting in the wings?

B) What do you think happens in practice to suggest that some other players are better?

C) What do you think daily practices are for?

Just asking. I am as frustrated with the OL as you. I’m just not able to concoct any scenario that suggests he isn’t playing his best group.

Good points all4. Tough to argue with the starters when there is no evidence to suggest that there are better players on the bench. We lost some stud linemen last year, including Baber's son-in-law who was a transfer. I've been underwhelmed with the graduate transfer. It says something about the depth when he comes over from a lower tier school and is starting over others that were original SU recruits.
I fear we may have the same problem next year, but with the defensive line.

I can't specifically say what I know in this public setting, but based on conversations I've had with people very close to the matter, tension has been building.

B) What do you think happens in practice to suggest that some other players are better?

Just asking. I am as frustrated with the OL as you. I’m just not able to concoct any scenario that suggests he isn’t playing his best group.

If there was an easy button, it would have been pushed by now. Several times.

A personnel shakeup might make people feel better, but I doubt it's going to improve the results.

I'd still do it though, get guys experience to build for next year. If they have already redshirted, then start that process this week. If they have not redshirted and have not played this year, then wait until BC so they won't play more than 4.

Question #1 answer is no evidence and that is the scariest part in all of this. No change in the offensive line means this line will be this bad or worse if that is even possible for the next three years. Do any of you think that this staff has magic fairy dust that they can sprinkle on these guys and all of the sudden they become ACC caliber offensive linemen?????? If they don't show any progress after two to three years in the program, they never will and right now team is 0-16 regarding ACC caliber offensive lineman.

Question #2- Whatever they are doing in practice it sure isn't working. The starting offensive lineman are either mentally or physically incapable or probably both of executing whatever schemes or lack thereof that the offensive coaches are trying to teach them. How is it possible for five offensive lineman to get consistently beat by three to four defensive lineman? By beat, I mean as in untouched to the quarterback. DeVito all year and Welch on at least three occasions Friday night looked like a pinata at a kids birthday party. Do we have any trick plays?????? I mean the alleged strength of the team has been beaten badly for a touchdown by the same type play two weeks in a row. Again, stellar coaching occurring during practice time.

Question #3- you tell me. The same bad things, over and over are happening week after week on both sides of the ball. Have they actually been practicing???????????????

play some of the backups and find out. maybe there are a couple gamers in there. he played welch didn't he. was that a pleasant surprise. td maybe a much more talented player, but not in these immediate circumstances.
just keep playing the same guys and expect different results is plain stupid.
maybe it may help them to get benched--or not.
welch offers a different dynamic---he maybe helpful to open up the running game and possible option stuff etc etc etc.
DO SOMETHING!!!!!

Question #1 answer is no evidence and that is the scariest part in all of this. No change in the offensive line means this line will be this bad or worse if that is even possible for the next three years. Do any of you think that this staff has magic fairy dust that they can sprinkle on these guys and all of the sudden they become ACC caliber offensive linemen?????? If they don't show any progress after two to three years in the program, they never will and right now team is 0-16 regarding ACC caliber offensive lineman.

There are no guarantees, of course. But OL guys who are frosh, RF and sophs May still develop into quality players. That’s the hope. Recruit guys with size and athleticism and grow them into players. The fact that these guys are not contributing right now does not necessarily worry me right now. But I agree that you have to recruit the best linemen you can. SU’s O linemen in the 80s were largely northeast big guys who developed, not star recruits.

Last edited:
I can't specifically say what I know in this public setting, but based on conversations I've had with people very close to the matter, tension has been building.

I can see that. The sacks and penalties have to be destroying chemistry.

If you focus on our OL the errors are more mental than physical. We often have 7 against 4 and get beat. That is poor coaching. Our Oline scheme is horrible the guys are clueless about their assignments. My sense is that it needs to be simplified. Get away from the zone scheme and man up. Hat on hat. Handle the blitzes with hot reads, roll outs and have the backs responsible. In short dummy it down.

I believe that it is more of the scheme then just the players abilities. What I noticed is that the OL takes 2-3 steps back before even engaging with the DL, yet our QB is on a three step drop from the shot gun. Moving up in the pocket to throw is not going to happen with this setup.

Who and when was the last CUSE coach fired during the season?

There are no guarantees, of course. But OL guys who are frosh, RF and sophs May still develop into quality players. That’s the hope. Recruit guys with size and athleticism and grow them into players. The fact that these guys are not contributing right now does not necessarily worry me right now. But I agree that you have to recruit the best linemen you can. SU’s O linemen in the 80s were largely northeast big guys who developed, not star recruits.
“Does not necessarily worry me right now”
You are joking, right?

I think the team attitude has been fine. They are certainly playing hard to the bitter end - and as bad as they've been they aren't getting creamed. Lose to NC State by 6 points and to Pitt by 7 ? It's been some bad football for sure but they're still barely losing.

I'd like to see an OLineman get benched for a false start penalty. I don't care if the guy coming in is awful. But at this point the number of false start penalties is staggering and it's not acceptable. Messages need to start being sent.

I think the team attitude has been fine. They are certainly playing hard to the bitter end - and as bad as they've been they aren't getting creamed. Lose to NC State by 6 points and to Pitt by 7 ? It's been some bad football for sure but they're still barely losing.

I'd like to see an OLineman get benched for a false start penalty. I don't care if the guy coming in is awful. But at this point the number of false start penalties is staggering and it's not acceptable. Messages need to start being sent.
I just don't get it. Even when I was in HS and played DT, I remember one game where I got doubled 3 plays in a row and they blew me out of my hole for big gains. Coach yanked me immediately, let me stew for 2 more plays, called me over and said are you ready to play football yet? I didn't get blown out of that hole the rest of the game.

How about fix the multiple false starts every game. Atleast that’s fixable at this point.

yep cleaning up the low hanging fruit would be a start. That and handling the right assignments don’t require anyone have a physical transformation over night.

they have played two peer opponents to the final snap having played as poorly on offense as possible for the scheme and overall talent. Marginal improvement and get a lead and let’s see what happens

yep cleaning up the low hanging fruit would be a start. That and handling the right assignments don’t require anyone have a physical transformation over night.

they have played two peer opponents to the final snap having played as poorly on offense as possible for the scheme and overall talent. Marginal improvement and get a lead and let’s see what happens
everything bad is feeding off each other

dumb penalties put the tackles in a bad spot failing to block for a qb with the worst fatal flaw of holding the ball too long

we are DEAD LAST in the country at "rushing" yards/attempt on 3rd and 3 or less

it's odd that we're 10th in rushing on 3rd and 4 to yards

we're 46th on 3rd and 7-9 to go

we're 101st with 10+ yards to go

we're 5th in 4th down yards per rushing attempt

not sure what to make of any of it - small samples

going back to going for it a lot on 4th down (near the top in attempts, near the bottom in conversions)

if everything is average, the team can be much better than average because the scheme is low risk and you do well in turnovers and you get extra plays being smarter than opponents. this fatal flaw dooms any offense. dungey wasn't fixing this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom