Team back on campus | Syracusefan.com

Team back on campus

I saw Cuse Basketball’s Instagram post yesterday with pictures of the guys arriving on campus. I know the post has been referenced in the recruiting threads but one thing that stood out to me is I believe I saw every player except for Jesse. This makes me wonder if he’s going to have difficulty making it back into the states and onto campus. This goes along with a tweet I saw about how international athletes may have difficulty if colleges continue with distance learning. Obviously if that’s the case then we have bigger things to worry about it, just found it interesting.

Highly likely Edwards doesn’t come back to Syracuse. Getting Anselem and going after Mac would make it hard enough for the kid to make an impact here. Corona pretty much confirms that now. Just waiting on an announcement.

Highly likely Edwards doesn’t come back to Syracuse. Getting Anselem and going after Mac would make it hard enough for the kid to make an impact here. Corona pretty much confirms that now. Just waiting on an announcement.

Bummed to hear that. Still think he had major upside and would have liked to have seen how he progressed this year. Plus, can never have enough depth in the front court. Crazy to think we could lose 5 guys from last year, with at least 3 of them being unexpected.

Bummed to hear that. Still think he had major upside and would have liked to have seen how he progressed this year. Plus, can never have enough depth in the front court. Crazy to think we could lose 5 guys from last year, with at least 3 of them being unexpected.
Yup. I think Edwards has upside but Syracuse is already looking ahead with Anselem and Ajak. Mac likely next year.

He could take a redshirt year and come back next season
Don't you have to be enrolled full time at the university to redshirt as a member of the team?

Jesse Edwards, the 7-foot center from the Netherlands, remains home in Europe and at this point, nobody knows when he’ll be allowed to return to the United States. The U.S. travel ban for people coming from Europe (with some exceptions) continues, though the Trump administration has suggested the ban might soon be lifted.

“He would like to be back here, we would like him to be back here but unfortunately there’s nothing we can do about this,” Boeheim said.

Edwards is the lone SU player who likely will not report July 6.

Don't you have to be enrolled full time at the university to redshirt as a member of the team?

If a travel ban prevents him from returning to the US, he could take classes online to maintain his eligibility.

While technically not a redshirt, he would be taking a leave of absence from the team for a year. He should still have 3 years of eligibility left starting in 2021-22.

Staff is not expecting Edwards to return and is working with him on finding other opportunities. Not the first time players have left Syracuse and received help from the staff. You never hear about it but makes me appreciate our program even more.

Between Anselem, Ajak, Sidibe & Dolezaj, we should have more than enough bodies to fill the 5 slot.

That is, if there is even a season. Hopeful this is the second wave coming early and it subsides in the next month or two.

Bummer about Jesse but makes sense, hopefully he'll find a place to play ball and enjoy life.

Really too bad, Edwards has intriguing potential and far more upside than a segment of our fanbase gave him credit for.

Glad we landed Frank.

Yeah this really sucks. I like Frank but Jesse had a whole year of being a whipping boy to learn and come in improved along with loads of potential and that great euro skill/size combo.

Staff is not expecting Edwards to return and is working with him on finding other opportunities. Not the first time players have left Syracuse and received help from the staff. You never hear about it but makes me appreciate our program even more.
Interesting. Sure didn't sound that way from the article. Hope you're mistaken here.

not really related to this thread but interesting to keep track of. If schools go to online learning considering all of international students/athletes we have.

I think Edwards has serious potential. Always a bummer when it doesn't work out but that happens. This is clearly all speculation but I can see the reasoning for looking at different opportunities. Best of luck.

Odd that JB didn't mention anything about Jesse one way or the other during the TBT game.

Who knows maybe we have an extra ship for Edwards next year and he comes back but being away from the team for a year will be tough. Even redshirting this year he’d benefit at practice and be in line to get all the minutes that will open up when Marek/Sid Leave.

He’s got some time to find a good fit with some open minutes. With the way college hoop careers go in the transfer era don’t be shocked if he plays for 2 more schools after us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom