Teams you most love to see lose | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Teams you most love to see lose

I have never been a person to blame refs or think they have an agenda against my team. I am more of a bad calls get made but they even out kind of guy. EXCEPT when we play Duke or anybody plays Duke. Duke is the only team in sports that makes me yell fixed or that I think there is an agenda in the game. Uniquely Duke. Duke is the one team that can change my rational view of sports into a totally irrational world of fixing and agendas.
This reminds me of a vivid memory I have regarding Duke. In the late '90s-early-2000s, an 11-12 yr old me is watching Duke play some random pre-conf game in Cameron against a cupcake like Asheville or Greensboro, someone like that. They're pounding them. Shane Battier hits a 3 & then the opponent inbounds the ball. As their PG brings it up the court, Battier sprints across the court & plants himself in front one of their other players who is simply jogging up the court while looking back at the PG...a good 30 feet away from the ball, completely out of the play. He runs Battier over, Battier falls on his back, the ref makes an emphatic charge call like strike 3 to end the World Series, & Dukie V proceeds to lose his mind talking about the heady play by "Mr. Battierrrrrrr!!!!".

To this day I have never seen that call made in any game, at any level of basketball. I recall the other announcer making a comment about how ridiculous it was before being drowned out by Vitale's fawning. In my mind, it's the MOST Duke call ever, even over the CJ Fair "charge" & Leattner not getting tossed for stomping on UK in '92.

Last edited:
This reminds me of a vivid memory I have regarding Duke. In the late '90s-early-2000s, an 11-12 yr old me is watching Duke play some random pre-conf game in Cameron against a cupcake like Asheville or Greensboro, someone like that. They're pounding them. Shane Battier hits a 3 & then the opponent inbounds the ball. As their PG brings it up the court, Battier sprints across the court & plants himself in front one of their other players who is simply jogging up the court while looking back at the PG...a good 30 feet away from the ball, completely out of the play. He runs Battier over, Battier falls on his back, the ref makes an emphatic charge call like strike 3 to end the World Series, & Duke V proceeds to lose his mind talking about the heady play by "Mr. Battierrrrrrr!!!!".

To this day I have never seen that call made in any game, at any level of basketball. I recall the other announcer making a comment about how ridiculous it was before being drowned out by Vitale's fawning. In my mind, it's the MOST Duke call ever, even over the CJ Fair "charge" & Leattner not getting tossed for stomping on UK in '92.

Great description -- I can totally see this type of play in my mind. Dick Vitale going nuts totally oblivious to the announcer. Myself getting angry with Vitale.

This reminds me of a vivid memory I have regarding Duke. In the late '90s-early-2000s, an 11-12 yr old me is watching Duke play some random pre-conf game in Cameron against a cupcake like Asheville or Greensboro, someone like that. They're pounding them. Shane Battier hits a 3 & then the opponent inbounds the ball. As their PG brings it up the court, Battier sprints across the court & plants himself in front one of their other players who is simply jogging up the court while looking back at the PG...a good 30 feet away from the ball, completely out of the play. He runs Battier over, Battier falls on his back, the ref makes an emphatic charge call like strike 3 to end the World Series, & Dukie V proceeds to lose his mind talking about the heady play by "Mr. Battierrrrrrr!!!!".

Imagine the scenario if somebody like Roberson did this and - of course - rightly gets called for a foul. Can you picture Boeheim looking like he's in the exorcist in reaction to such an imbecilic play?

Basketball - I'd have to say every other team in the ACC. They all can't lose enough.

Football - That would be Virginia Tech. by a wide margin. Can't stand their team, fans, mascot, etc. If the never win a game again it would be heaven.

Louisville I don't know if I dislike the football or basketball coach more.
Kentucky. Need I say more
UNC. Will they ever be punished?

Louisville I don't know if I dislike the football or basketball coach more.
Kentucky. Need I say more
UNC. Will they ever be punished?
I think we all know the answer to that one. :bang:

I don't care about any other teams as long as we win. I don't see anyone as unbeatable in March.

Kentucky
Ohio State
UConn
Indiana
Auburn
Colorado
Texas A&M
Maryland
Penn State
Amherst

The Dallas Cowboys

Duke (they've passed the Hoyas for me)
Georgetown (more nostalgic at this point)
Indiana ('87 still hurts)
Kentucky (slimy program, slimy coach)
Ped State (just cuz)
Cortland (I'm an IC grad)

In order of most to least:

ACC: Duke, Louisville, Pitt, ND, the rest...

Big East: Georgetown, UCONN, Villanova, the rest...

Hatred for the teams in the Big East just doesn't have the same zing is used to. Whereas in the the ACC, beating Louisville is almost as satisfying as beating Duke!

ACC: Boston College, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, NC State.

Old Big East: DePaul, St. Johns, Marquette, Seton Hall.

I hate losers, mostly.

UConn, Georgetown, UNC, Duke and Virginia have my respect. So I don't hate them and like to see them succeed as Syracuse's rivalry.

1. Arizona - because of where I live (and most of my in-laws went there)
2. KY
3. OSU
4. IND
5. ND

Funny how things change - 5 years ago it'd be:

1. Duke
2. UNC
3. Arizona
4. KY
5. ND

I don't care about any other teams as long as we win. I don't see anyone as unbeatable in March.

I change my mind.

Ohio St.
PSU
Michigan
Indiana
West Virginia
Missouri
Kentucky
Arizona
Creighton
Wichita St.
UNC

Just to name a few.

Why not Duke/Kansas/Pitt/Nova/G Town/Uconn/UL?

I love to see our biggest competitors succeed, so it's even sweeter when we achieve above them.

ACC: Boston College, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, NC State.

Old Big East: DePaul, St. Johns, Marquette, Seton Hall.

I hate losers, mostly.

UConn, Georgetown, UNC, Duke and Virginia have my respect. So I don't hate them and like to see them succeed as Syracuse's rivalry.

Marquette has had a 2 year NCAA/NIT drought, but before that they had made the NCAA tournament 8 years in a row. They had also either made the NCAA or NIT 12 years in a row (10 NCAA / 2 NIT).

Is it a super program? No. But it's a good program that should not be grouped with some of the others, and has certainly been at the level of a Georgetown since 2000

I'm trying my best to divorce myself from hating other teams. Focusing my energy on hoping other teams lose is a way of reinforcing negative energy in my life. Trying to put aside the negative and focus more and more on positives. Negativity is poisonous.

Marquette has had a 2 year NCAA/NIT drought, but before that they had made the NCAA tournament 8 years in a row. They had also either made the NCAA or NIT 12 years in a row (10 NCAA / 2 NIT).

Is it a super program? No. But it's a good program that should not be grouped with some of the others, and has certainly been at the level of a Georgetown since 2000

I said "mostly" because some teams are chosen for personal reasons.

When we're fighting for seeding in the conference tournament, I like to see the teams ahead of us lose.
When we're fighting for seeding in the NCAAT, then I like to see the teams ranked ahead of us lose.
When we're in the NCAAT, I like to see the high seeded teams and/or teams I think would give us trouble lose.
But I don't have any general "black hat" teams that I actively root against.

Ashley Judd is gorgeous though.
attractive, sure, but gorgeous? once upon a time . . . right now she looks about the same as half the mom's at my kid's school.

If we're talking hoops, I honestly loathe UConn the most of any other team. Hate the team, hate the players, and can't stand their stupid fanbase.

Pitt, Notre Dame, Georgetown, and Villanova are on the next tier for me. A pox on all of those insipid programs.

In terms of the ACC -- I dislike Louisville and Duke the most, followed by Virginia Tech. Not a fan of the rest, but don't really feel rivalries with any of the others yet.

Nationally, I can't stand Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Penn State, Minnesota, and Arizona.

1. Duke
2. Pittsburgh
3. Notre Dame

I don't know why people hate Duke and Notre Dame. Their players are almost all gentlemen. Our street-fighter players can much easily dominate them and get a win from them most of the times. On the opposite of the spectrum, Pittsburgh's thug-like players are more fierce and scary than ours, so we lost a lot of games to them.

I don't know why people hate Duke and Notre Dame. Their players are almost all gentlemen. Our street-fighter players can much easily dominate them and get a win from them most of the times. On the opposite of the spectrum, Pittsburgh's thug-like players are more fierce and scary than ours, so we lost a lot of games to them.

Grayson Allen is quite the gentleman.

Kentucky, Duke and also Gonzaga when they continually get ranked way too high for beating cupcakes all season.

Was working a Charlotte Hornets game the other night and speaking with some media. He was going on about how great Gonzaga was on defense. Helps when you get to play the likes of Bryant and Pacific.

Grayson does not classify as a gentleman. I agree that Notre Dame players are gentlemen and Brey is a very good coach. I think the reason is that Notre Dame is always better than they should be on paper. They are one of our former Big East foes so I think that adds to it.

Grayson does not classify as a gentleman. I agree that Notre Dame players are gentlemen and Brey is a very good coach. I think the reason is that Notre Dame is always better than they should be on paper. They are one of our former Big East foes so I think that adds to it.
They are accidents. Sometimes a brain fart makes him think he is playing soccer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom